PDA

View Full Version : Spiel?

jpw
03-26-2013, 09:17 AM
http://www.trekbikes.com/uk/en/bikes/road/race_performance/madone_7_series/

"Defence-grade carbon
Our US frame facility has exclusive industry access to the ultra-high-performance restricted material used to create our 700 Series OCLV Carbon."

54ny77
03-26-2013, 09:30 AM
Brits writing ad copy, are they?

jpw
03-26-2013, 09:40 AM
Brits writing ad copy, are they?

I thought it was a New York specialty?

54ny77
03-26-2013, 10:17 AM
at least trek's got a sense of humor in featuring the schleck brothers, who are prominently displayed with regards to the madone model line.

regularguy412
03-26-2013, 11:12 AM
at least trek's got a sense of humor in featuring the schleck brothers, who are prominently displayed with regards to the madone model line.

HA! And the lead graphic shows Andy DESCENDING! What a joke.

Mike in AR:beer:

shovelhd
03-26-2013, 11:15 AM
Hey, he could have been on a Speed Concept.

54ny77
03-26-2013, 11:25 AM
A more appropriate image would have been Andy in car, Madones on roof rack, heading back to hotel.

christian
03-26-2013, 11:40 AM
I suppose it is possible, but not necessarily plausible or true, that there are export restrictions on certain carbon fiber tubes that Trek would then have access to and could sell in the US market. Whether in turn, those tubes would be better than any other product, I don't know.

jimmythefly
03-26-2013, 11:54 AM
Actually it's completely plausible and true.

http://www.bikerumor.com/2013/03/13/trek-factory-tour-part-3-us-based-oclv-carbon-bike-production/

54ny77
03-26-2013, 12:11 PM
Cool link.

Gotta admit, at least they're makin' some stuff here.

In the NYC/CT/So Cal areas that I'm in often, I've honestly seen maybe a few top shelf Madones on the road (one of which was under the butt of a pal who's a Trek dealer, so naturally he rides one) in several years. LIterally could count on one hand the number of Madones. Where do they all go? Who buys 'em? Do they ride well?

Actually it's completely plausible and true.

http://www.bikerumor.com/2013/03/13/trek-factory-tour-part-3-us-based-oclv-carbon-bike-production/

beestee
03-26-2013, 02:23 PM
Where do they all go? Who buys 'em? Do they ride well?

They go to live out their lives at the houses of old men with just a little bit too much money who buy them thinking they will "get back in shape". They get a few rides the first 2 weeks, a ride a week for the next 2, then 2 more over the course of the next 6 months. Then the owner decides it's time for a tune up. Easiest tune up. Ever.

And they ride comfortably, just like an old man would want. That nice compact geometry....

oliver1850
03-26-2013, 07:28 PM
Don't know about the tubes, but Trek has the best OEM bike shipping boxes I have seen. Not sure if they are defense grade, or capable of standing up to UPS normal handling procedures.

Sorry about the drift, but it's a really nice box.

Jason E
03-26-2013, 09:29 PM
I had a hankering, and bought a new 7 Series. Got it in January with the DA/11 and Bontrager A3's. It is an exceptional bike. Good balance, fast as all get-out. Solid and predictable at speed.

I treated myself, I'm not upset. Really worth a test ride, regardless of the marketing.

jpw
03-27-2013, 04:01 AM
I suppose it is possible, but not necessarily plausible or true, that there are export restrictions on certain carbon fiber tubes that Trek would then have access to and could sell in the US market. Whether in turn, those tubes would be better than any other product, I don't know.

This was the Assos spiel about their original carbon frame from the beginnings of time - super secret Swiss military carbon fiber technology.

Has anyone seen a Goomah in the flesh?

http://goomah.ch/life.php

oldpotatoe
03-27-2013, 06:54 AM
Cool link.

Gotta admit, at least they're makin' some stuff here.

In the NYC/CT/So Cal areas that I'm in often, I've honestly seen maybe a few top shelf Madones on the road (one of which was under the butt of a pal who's a Trek dealer, so naturally he rides one) in several years. LIterally could count on one hand the number of Madones. Where do they all go? Who buys 'em? Do they ride well?

Few around here cuz the 2 places who sell Trek, well let's just say they are the top tier of the bike shops here in the republic.

I encourage anybody lookin' at them to ride one first then come in and test ride some of our frames..easy sell that way.

alyosha_s
08-01-2016, 09:20 PM
I've raced a goomah g731 and loved it!

happycampyer
08-01-2016, 09:30 PM
Don't know about the tubes, but Trek has the best OEM bike shipping boxes I have seen. Not sure if they are defense grade, or capable of standing up to UPS normal handling procedures.

Sorry about the drift, but it's a really nice box.Those cardboard boxes are restricted to shipping within the continental US only.

54ny77
08-01-2016, 09:33 PM
got a chance to check out the new madone ultralight thingamabobber last weekend. holy smokes, that was light. as in insanely light. too bad the tune hub sucked and had to go back to lbs for a re-do.

other than that, pretty nice bike. swoopy tubes. not my cuppa tea, but obviously it was for its owner.

jemoryl
08-02-2016, 09:41 AM
Defense grade? Like in the F-35?