PDA

View Full Version : Another Tektro Mini-V Question Thread...

AndreasM
03-25-2013, 12:29 PM
I have NOS Shimano 105 SLR Aero brake levers on my cross/commuter and am looking at the Tektro 926AL or RX5. Can anyone speak to the appropriate amount of pull with older levers? RX5's have a longer arm, which seems attractive from a fender perspective, but I'm reading mixed reviews on bottoming out. Am not interested in the travel agent option.

All thoughts appreciated as always.

A

rice rocket
03-25-2013, 12:37 PM
My Planet Bike Cascadia road fenders (35mm wide) "clear" w/ the 926ALs. They actually contact the fender when I squeeze the lever, but not enough to bother me. Not sure what fenders you're going with though.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-ZMfS3Y6K8yo/URlu_Zm16UI/AAAAAAAAEEE/8Wfdl-WHzy8/s699/IMG_20130211_171422.jpg

I have no experience w/ those levers.

christian
03-25-2013, 12:39 PM
I wouldn't run anything longer than 85mm arms with those levers. They're a traditional lever that, if anything, pulls less cable than modern levers (though I think they're the same through at least Ultegra 6600). 80mm arms, like 926 AL, would probably work well. RX5s at 85mm should be ok too. RX6s I would not suggest.

AndreasM
03-25-2013, 12:51 PM
Thanks! - seems the 926AL's will be the best bet regardless of what fender/tire option I go. Like others drawn down this road, pulling my hair out fiddling with my current canti's cannot continue.

I have 35mm Kenda small block 8's, on FYI - and no fender option yet, just thinking ahead

Oregonic
03-25-2013, 07:57 PM
I wouldn't run anything longer than 85mm arms with those levers. They're a traditional lever that, if anything, pulls less cable than modern levers (though I think they're the same through at least Ultegra 6600). 80mm arms, like 926 AL, would probably work well. RX5s at 85mm should be ok too. RX6s I would not suggest.

Yes, this exactly. But be prepared, no matter which model you choose, you'll need to run the pads much closer to the rim than with cantis. So you'll need to keep your rim pretty true to avoid rubbing.

TheWolfsMouth
03-25-2013, 10:40 PM
I had some 926ALs with the PDW full metal fenders and rival levers. They rubbed over the fender a little bit, just barely. I did have to run them a lil mushy with the rival levers so i could get the wheel off with out undoing the pinch bolt to the mini v's.

Oregonic
03-26-2013, 12:39 PM
A few tips from my setup from an earlier thread - makes removal, etc., easier...

"I too have these (RX-5) brakes. They've worked well for me on both narrower and wider rims with 6600 levers. It helped me to move the larger pad holder washers to the inside, so that the brake arms were more vertical. As far as rim clearance, yes, you need to set them close to the rim, but that's pretty much par for the course with any short pull mini v, as I understand it. To make wheel removal easier, I added a barrel adjuster when installing the brake, and I used a hacksaw to cut off about 1/2 of the nipple on the brake noodle that slots into the hinge on the opposing arm. I could then undo the brakes without any adjustment. If that's hard to envision, I can send pics if anyone's interested. The only tires I can't pull out really easily are 40mm Clement MSO's, but even those just require a little pop to get them in or out."

GRAVELBIKE
03-26-2013, 12:50 PM
My Planet Bike Cascadia road fenders (35mm wide) "clear" w/ the 926ALs. They actually contact the fender when I squeeze the lever, but not enough to bother me. Not sure what fenders you're going with though.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-ZMfS3Y6K8yo/URlu_Zm16UI/AAAAAAAAEEE/8Wfdl-WHzy8/s699/IMG_20130211_171422.jpg

I have no experience w/ those levers.

Are your front brake pads installed backwards? In the photo, it looks like the retaining screw is at the front. If that's the case, you should swap left/right so that the open end of the holder is facing the rear of the bike.

Oregonic
03-26-2013, 12:57 PM
Are your front brake pads installed backwards? In the photo, it looks like the retaining screw is at the front. If that's the case, you should swap left/right so that the open end of the holder is facing the rear of the bike.

Ooh, good catch. That could end badly otherwise!

rice rocket
03-26-2013, 01:26 PM
Good eye!

Yeah they were. I dropped that pad a million times threading the bolt on with a stack of spacers on both sides, and by the time I got it all lined up, it was backwards.:crap:

I got it all cleared up though. :)