PDA

View Full Version : OT: Almost everyone does it - But you won't or never have

fuzzalow
03-25-2013, 10:25 AM
We all tend to regard ourselves as unique in our own ways. Personal habits, likes and dislikes. There are things we do as part of the crowd. And there are things we do that are quirks all our own. Things that we do that are part of the weirdness of self.

We all have them, we all do it. Think you don't have any oddball (not to you) habits, huh? Really? Just ask your spouse, partner or significant other.

So what DON'T you do that you think everyone else does?

I never listen to the car radio or any music or media when I drive a car. I like the sound of the motor & the thrum of the road. Or the quiet or the conversation if with passengers.

On the topic of bikes: I have never owned a set of factory-built wheels. Every wheel I have, to date, ridden on is my own handiwork. Nothing like the incentive of one's own bridgework in building a good wheel.

How about you? In this thread, everyone is encouraged to let their freak flag fly!

1/2 Wheeler
03-25-2013, 10:42 AM
Not counting weather or sports, I don't watch or read any news. ATMO, knowing all the crazy things that happen in the world offers no benefit to me or those in my circle of influence.

I can not go to sleep unless I check the time just before closing my eyes.

Andrewlcox
03-25-2013, 10:45 AM
I don't play cards. No poker, 21 or go fish. I don't know why but I just can't sit down to play cards.

rbtmcardle
03-25-2013, 10:52 AM
No condiments for me.. no ketchup, mustard, mayonnaise, relish, nada.. never have, even as a young boy my parents would wait for a plain hamburger from mcdonalds.. on our once yearly or so visit.

sc53
03-25-2013, 11:13 AM
I don't play cards. No poker, 21 or go fish. I don't know why but I just can't sit down to play cards.

Ditto, never liked to play cards or board games. Don't ride amusement park rides either. And hate crosswords.

Mark McM
03-25-2013, 11:23 AM
If you're the kind of person who is one in a million ...

... there are thousand people just like you in China.

Remember, you are a unique one-of-a-kind person ...

... just like everyone else.

dd74
03-25-2013, 11:28 AM
Never Tweeted...yet.

laupsi
03-25-2013, 11:37 AM
never used face book, tweeted, blogged.

bluesea
03-25-2013, 11:40 AM
I don't use ketchup or tomato slices on a first class cheeseburger. Mayo, raw onions, and lettuce/greens only.

BumbleBeeDave
03-25-2013, 11:43 AM
. . . and don't know how to play poker. Seems like that alone could get my "Man Club" card revoked.

I also watch VERY little TV. I'll watch a PBS documentary occasionally, but not much more than that and I see news stories talking about how many hours per day the average American watches TV and I can't believe it.

I also don't have a smartphone yet and have no texting on my current cell phone. Gonna change that soon, though . . .

BBD

slidey
03-25-2013, 11:46 AM
1. Tweet
2. Watch CNN/Fox/MSNBC etc
3. Listen/Like rap
4. Use Instagram
5. Take pictures of my food
6. have a TV

MattTuck
03-25-2013, 11:48 AM
. . . and don't know how to play poker. Seems like that alone could get my "Man Club" card revoked.

so many ways to go with this.... suffice it to say, zebra kit.

benc
03-25-2013, 11:58 AM
I don't go to the movies. Haven't been in 10+ years.

norcalbiker
03-25-2013, 12:01 PM
I don't have a Facebook, Twitter and Instagram account.
I never like them. :)

I also, don't like watching reality show. They are all STAGE!!! Waste of time.

BumbleBeeDave
03-25-2013, 12:06 PM
so many ways to go with this.... suffice it to say, zebra kit.

. . .that was going to gallop out of the shadows to bite me! :p

BBD

biker72
03-25-2013, 12:17 PM
Don't tweet
Not on Facebook

victoryfactory
03-25-2013, 12:22 PM
Have never:
1. Been to a Circus
2. Been to a Gym
3. Tweeted
4. Had a massage
5. Tried a McNugget

VF

* apologies to Ed Abbey

cmg
03-25-2013, 12:28 PM
never worn cowboy boots, never will and i live/love texas.

and same about the hate of reality shows. where's a lone gunman when you need one..... just kidding.

tuxbailey
03-25-2013, 12:33 PM
I am pretty boring so I generally do most of what other trendy things that other people do. The only thing that I haven't done is tweet, even though I have an account.

Tony T
03-25-2013, 12:38 PM
I don't Facebook, Twitter or Instagram

jeduardo
I drive "my lady" absolutely mad, but I can't stop, since I'm consistently patrolling her speech, fridge notes, text messages and email submissions.
It is not unconditionally my failing since any blame, for this quirk, may be rooted in academia (Lit BA/Legal Studies MA)
Apeech-language pathologist mother who made sure I understood, "which witch is which, and so when it comes to glaringly incorrect gammer usage, I just can not seem to stop being, "that guy"

rice rocket
Wow, this not being on FB/Twitter/Instagram is turning out to be quite popular. :p

jh_on_the_cape
03-25-2013, 12:46 PM
We do not have cable. I do not watch any TV and movies only on airplanes.
We only have a TV for the kids to watch netflix cartoons in the evening.

And I still ride 8 speed on my mtb.

One of my female friends once boasted/confessed "I have never eaten a fast food burger or had anal $ex."
We believed her on the burger part!

Elefantino
03-25-2013, 12:49 PM
Eat Brussels sprouts.
Cheer for the Dodgers.
Watch "Lost," "CSI," "Friends," "Seinfeld," "Home Improvement," "Thirtysomething" or the like. Yes, I know some of those no longer are on except in reruns.
Read anything about any Kardashian.

redir
03-25-2013, 12:52 PM
My two cats actually have official names but I rarely call them that, I make up a new name almost monthly, they just pop into my head and stay there till the next one. Right now the Calico is called 'Magoot' and the Tortoise is called 'Kite.'

I don't care to listen to music while driving either.

I also almost always count stairs when I go up and make sure that I finish the last step on an odd number.

And that's just the surface, my wife probably thinks I should be committed ;)

binxnyrwarrsoul
03-25-2013, 12:55 PM
Don't use Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or Linkedin.
Don't have an iphone.
Don't care about baseball, basketball or football.
Don't gamble.
Never had an SUV.
Don't work 9-5, in an office or cubicle.
Never went on a cruise ship or to Disney.
Never been on a plane.
Never had or used Di2 or EPS.
Never had or used carbon rims.
Don't have a satellite dish.
Don't have a tattoo.
Never did jello-shots off of a stripper's belly (that I can recall).

veggieburger
03-25-2013, 01:01 PM
I was born old.

I love scrabble.
I listen to the radio.
I own a TV but don't get any channels.
I liked Johnny Cash before it was cool to like Johnny Cash.
No iphone.
My car has no A/C and hand-crank windows.
...and I like prunes because they're tasty, not because I'm constipated.

;)

Louis
03-25-2013, 01:23 PM
I go to greater lengths than most to save energy & recycle, but that's been pretty well documented in these pages, so I won't bother to repeat any of that stuff.

I do try to avoid "the latest toy" fad on both electronics (no TV, cell phone, stereo, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram etc.) and bike stuff (9-spd DT shifters are my idea of perfect technology).

In other ways I'm a big-time conformist - I wear jeans (blue and black) whenever possible, if only because they're perfectly acceptable 99.999% of the time, and easy to purchase and wash & dry. I do have and still wear to work my old college jean jacket. The collar is about to fall off, but other than that, it's in pretty good shape for a 33 year old jacket. I even used to wear it back in that days when we wore ties, dress shirts, and pants in the office. I guess that was being somewhat different.

cmg
03-25-2013, 01:36 PM

does the TV work? is it plugged in? read this and thought of TV with a shoe through the screen.

:)

jh_on_the_cape
03-25-2013, 01:41 PM
does the TV work? is it plugged in? read this and thought of TV with a shoe through the screen.

probably to watch DVDs

jh_on_the_cape
03-25-2013, 01:44 PM
Don't use Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or Linkedin.
Don't have an iphone.
Don't care about baseball, basketball or football.
Don't gamble.
Never had an SUV.
Don't work 9-5, in an office or cubicle.
Never went on a cruise ship or to Disney.
Never been on a plane.
Never had or used Di2 or EPS.
Never had or used carbon rims.
Don't have a satellite dish.
Don't have a tattoo.
Never did jello-shots off of a stripper's belly (that I can recall).

that is true for lots of people except the airplane. I cannot imagine never going in an airplane. You are missing out on so much the world has to offer.

veggieburger
03-25-2013, 01:48 PM

Ha ha, yeah, it works, and I'm sure if put some rabbit ears on it I could grab a channel or two. I just choose not to - it's only for watching movies and Arrested Development dvds.

http://www.gq.com/blogs/the-q/broken_tv.jpg

norcalbiker
03-25-2013, 03:23 PM
I have never pay "INCOME TAX" in my entire life!

Per Nick Diaz of course. :eek:

bicycletricycle
03-25-2013, 03:33 PM
i have never drank or smoked or done any recreational drugs.

seems like everyone else does

Vientomas
03-25-2013, 03:47 PM
Never consumed coffee.

Seems like everyone does.

MattTuck
03-25-2013, 03:51 PM
Never consumed coffee.

Seems like everyone does.

I'm with you.

spaced_ghost
03-25-2013, 04:13 PM
watch TV. I stopped when I was 15.
own a car. I hate them.
left the US. i'm working hard to change this one ASAP.
get married.

gaucho753
03-25-2013, 04:31 PM
Cheated on my girlfriend/wife.
Never been divorced either. Go figure.

Not counting weather or sports, I don't watch or read any news. ATMO, knowing all the crazy things that happen in the world offers no benefit to me or those in my circle of influence.

That explains your stance on Lance Armstrong! :D

buddybikes
03-25-2013, 04:32 PM
.cheated on my wife
.drank coffee
.shot anyone

oldpotatoe
03-25-2013, 04:46 PM
But never smoked a cigarette..

NOT on FB, twitter...

1/2 Wheeler
03-25-2013, 04:56 PM
That explains your stance on Lance Armstrong! :D

I wouldn't debate that for a second. The only Lance I know about is the one that beat cancer and dominated 7 TdF's.

I see the world through rose colored glasses and I wouldn't change that for anything.

1centaur
03-25-2013, 05:11 PM
I presume most males over 40 don't have FB accounts (thus cutting them off from commenting on Competitive Cyclist's blog).

I can't think of a single thing I don't do that I think is truly rare. In the minority for sure, but not 1 in a million rare.

nighthawk
03-25-2013, 05:46 PM
I can count on one hand the number of times I have sipped soda.. only to determine that I still don't like it. My entire life, I have never drank a non-alcoholic carbonated beverage. I just don't like them.

I've had like a million beers, though.

cfox
03-25-2013, 05:55 PM
I've never choked my chicken. Or lied. Okay, I lied just now.

spaced_ghost
03-25-2013, 06:07 PM
must be hard to type with those hairy palms

chuckroast
03-25-2013, 06:17 PM
I've never been to a t***ty bar (excuse me, Gentleman's Club). No occasion ever presented itself when I was younger and I'm for damn sure not going to do it now when I'm old enough for it to be creepy.

rugbysecondrow
03-25-2013, 06:17 PM
I love all the no facebook, no TV comments. It is funny how unoriginal we all end up being, me included.

I never eat the last bite of my sandwich.

I never took a standardized test for college and now I have a BS and Masters. No ACT, SAT, GMAT, GRE etc. No good reason other than I was able to talk my way in without and didn't want to spend the time, effort and money. I also had free school through GI Bill, military reimbursement programs and grad school scholarships. Just dumb luck, but I am happy on this end with no school debt.

Cheers folks!

roydyates
03-25-2013, 06:56 PM
I was born old.

I love scrabble.
I listen to the radio.
I liked Johnny Cash before it was cool to like Johnny Cash.
No iphone.
My car has no A/C and hand-crank windows.
...and I like prunes because they're tasty, not because I'm constipated.

;)

What about hamburgers, the kind with meat?

roydyates
03-25-2013, 07:00 PM
Eat Brussels sprouts.
Cheer for the Dodgers.
Watch "Lost," "CSI," "Friends," "Seinfeld," "Home Improvement," "Thirtysomething" or the like. Yes, I know some of those no longer are on except in reruns.
Read anything about any Kardashian.

thirtysomething??? It finished it's primetime run in 1991 :)

roydyates
03-25-2013, 07:11 PM
This has been a great thread.

Occasionally there will be a thread here about something obscure, like french presses or samurai swords, and it will turn out that the paceline has many experts. In the past, I would always wonder "Between their jobs and cycling, how do they have time for this?"

This thread makes it clear that people here are seriously focused.

Peter P.
03-25-2013, 07:16 PM
I do not own a black fleece sweater or jacket with "The North Face" on the rear shoulder.

Ti Designs
03-25-2013, 07:50 PM
Never remembered any sequence of anything. No phone numbers, no directions... I only know one user name and password which haven't changed in the last 30 years.

rbtmcardle
03-25-2013, 08:05 PM
I've never choked my chicken. Or lied. Okay, I lied just now.

Thanks for the belly laugh, i needed it..

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk 2

majorpat
03-25-2013, 08:12 PM
Never had a cup of coffee.

veggieburger
03-25-2013, 08:44 PM
As someone who can't get through a day without 2 or 3 strong cups of coffee, I applaud all of you who have never even tried the stuff. Impressive.

choke
03-25-2013, 09:10 PM
I've never had sushi.
I've never been to Spain....but I kind of like the music.

fuzzalow
03-26-2013, 06:46 AM
Have never owned a car with an automatic transmission. Oddly enough, neither has my wife for the cars she has owned before we were married. I guess that's why we are together.

Strange thing about manual transmissions is that they are never found on upper tier cars. So buying cars of that type would never be considered in our family for that reason alone. And for some, that reasoning is out of consciousness and completely foreign - because to them, driving a car means gas, brakes, cupholders, phone booth, music changer and PRNDL.

For example: Leaving a social gathering where there are multiple parking valets fetching cars. Having forced insipid small talk with the departing revelers, one of who is an acquaintance and a man possessed to simple vanity.

His car arrives first, a BMW 750iL, and is given over to him while my 5-series is brought to the curb.

He views smugly at my car and says "You should think about on of these", gesturing to his 750, "it drives fantastic".

I simply replied "No, can't do it...", his face lights up, an public capitulation to his greater wealth and status.

"That car is missing a pedal". His face went momentarily blank as he derailed from the repartee.