PDA

View Full Version : I'd like to try some new bib shorts...

veggieburger
03-25-2013, 10:12 AM
All my life I have ridden Pearl Izumi bib shorts, and I love em, but I think it's time to try something different. I'm 6'3, 205lbs, and can usually shimmy into an XL PI short. I'm thick in the rear and thighs, and don't really care for those new shorts with the thick leg band instead of the grippers.

Got anything interesting? And slightly used (unsoiled, unstinky of course) is okay.

Thanks!

http://comocycodotcom.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/fat-cyclist.jpg

hockeybike
03-25-2013, 10:23 AM
Nothin to sell, but give the DeSoto 400 Mile bib short a try. Favorite bib short, ever (like it more than my Sugoi RSE [better pad], and more than my Gore Xenon Sonic [better pad and better compression]).

n_maher
03-25-2013, 10:39 AM
Nothing to sell here either but I'd have a look at Competitive Cyclist and see what's available at a significant discount. Me, I ride almost exclusively Castelli bibs in short, knicker and full tight configurations. They've been great and I was able to pick all of them up at at least 50% off retail. I cannot afford full-priced cycling clothes... FWIW I'm pretty close to you dimensionally (6'1", 200lb, big thighs) and I wear a XXL in Castelli.

veggieburger
03-25-2013, 10:42 AM
Nothing to sell here either but I'd have a look at Competitive Cyclist and see what's available at a significant discount. Me, I ride almost exclusively Castelli bibs in short, knicker and full tight configurations. They've been great and I was able to pick all of them up at at least 50% off retail. I cannot afford full-priced cycling clothes... FWIW I'm pretty close to you dimensionally (6'1", 200lb, big thighs) and I wear a XXL in Castelli.

Nice, good to know. I have a pair of Santini bib tights and I'm a flipping XXXL! Ugh. Those Italian manufacturers make things small.

LouDeeter
03-25-2013, 11:03 AM
For warm weather, I like the DeMarchi and Nalini. For cool weather, I like the thicker fabric of PI and Assos. I haven't been happy with Castelli. I like the feel but the fabric has gotten thin way too quickly to the point that they get put in my "spinning class" pile, where I wear them under gym shorts. If you want to try Castelli, I probably have a pair that will fit you and haven't thinned yet.

Not the Slowest
03-25-2013, 11:10 AM
They fit nicely and give you a 100% return policy which I have taken advantage of.

Check the website and call them if you have questions. They run lots of sales.

The shorts/bibs never feel like you are wearing a diaper.

Gummee
03-25-2013, 11:39 AM
Nice, good to know. I have a pair of Santini bib tights and I'm a flipping XXXL! Ugh. Those Italian manufacturers make things small.
At 5'8" and 170-175# I'm an XL in Castelli. :eek!:

I just bought a pair of the Bellwether bibs that Pez liked (http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=8279). Haven't ridden em yet, so can't comment on em. Your LBS can get em thru QBP.

M

christian
03-25-2013, 11:45 AM
I just bought a pair of the Bellwether bibs that Pez liked (http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=8279). Haven't ridden em yet, so can't comment on em. I own these. I like them "fine." At 5'11, 165 lbs, the L is too big for me - bunches in the legs etc. The chamois is thicker than I like - feels a bit like a diaper. The fabrics are nice. They are not as nice as my Capo and Texmarket team bibs and not nearly as nice as the Castelli Body Paint bibs. At $100, I'd pass for some Capos. When on sale for $55-60, I think they're a great option.

By the way, for summer wear.... Castelli SanRemo Speed Suit. Once you've tried it, there's no going back to separate shorts and jersey. It's that great.

tv_vt
03-25-2013, 11:55 AM
Over at Comp Cyclist, check out the Garneau Equipe bibs - you'd take an XXL. Nice feel to them. I've got several pair.

VTCaraco
03-25-2013, 12:36 PM
I can't stand the notion of spending $120 or more for shorts that I might not love. And as an apparent outlier in the cycling realm as a mesomorph (or at least in a different shape than the target audience), I've tried to shop the sales.

My experience has been Voler are good, I like Boure a lot (more than Voler), haven't been impressed with mid-range Craft, like my Gore Bike Wear quite a bit, LOVED my Ibex wool (but they seem to have a lesser lifespan than some of the competition), like my Sugoi mid-range, like my Campy mid-range, and looking forward to try my Giordana Forma Red Carbons.
None have been super-unbelievable. All have some sort of strength and limitation.
All things considered, I'd probably rate my Boure as my favorite.

druptight
03-25-2013, 12:43 PM
Over at Comp Cyclist, check out the Garneau Equipe bibs - you'd take an XXL. Nice feel to them. I've got several pair.

I also like the LG bibs for a good budget bib. I think I got mine for about $50 at nashbar, not too thick padding, been using them for 2 or 3 seasons and they're still my go-to.

n_maher
03-25-2013, 01:00 PM
<snip> I haven't been happy with Castelli. I like the feel but the fabric has gotten thin way too quickly to the point that they get put in my "spinning class" pile, where I wear them under gym shorts.
I probably haven't owned mine long enough to see how they wear in the long term but last year I basically used two pairs of Castelli bibs exclusively for 30 or 40 rides and 1000+ miles and haven't seen anything in the way of fabric thinning. I realize that at that level I'm a low-mileage user but at $40/pr (what I paid thru Chainlove) they seemed impossible to beat. Sadly, they appear to have been a model that is no longer made (Nero Classic Bibs).

jh_on_the_cape
03-25-2013, 01:01 PM
They fit nicely and give you a 100% return policy which I have taken advantage of.

Check the website and call them if you have questions. They run lots of sales.

The shorts/bibs never feel like you are wearing a diaper.

+1 Voler otherwise whatever is on sale.

veggieburger
03-25-2013, 02:33 PM
I'm also very curious about Boure. Not flashy, but I haven't read one bad review.

srice
03-25-2013, 03:14 PM
I switched to Boure several years ago and have not been happier. I was using Castellis before and was happy with the fit or the fabric. The Boures are made with great fabric and the XL fits me (6'4", 220) great. Most of the long distance types in the area have switched over to Boure at this point.

fiamme red
03-25-2013, 03:18 PM
I switched to Boure several years ago and have not been happier. I was using Castellis before and was happy with the fit or the fabric. The Boures are made with great fabric and the XL fits me (6'4", 220) great. Most of the long distance types in the area have switched over to Boure at this point.Pro, Elite, or Classic?

I owned a few pair of Boure Pro shorts and the seam in the middle of the chamois gave me saddle sores.

LouDeeter
03-25-2013, 05:09 PM
Interesting datapoint. When I went to pull some Castelli shorts out to send pictures, I found that have them made in USA, Italy and Hungary.

pdmtong
03-25-2013, 05:11 PM
Try the Rapha classics on thier 30 day offer. Despite all the rapha-hate, the bibs are really comfortable but more importantly they wear forever. like multiple seasons. so even though cost more up front you get it back in comfort and longevity

rugbysecondrow
03-27-2013, 12:55 PM
Nothin to sell, but give the DeSoto 400 Mile bib short a try. Favorite bib short, ever (like it more than my Sugoi RSE [better pad], and more than my Gore Xenon Sonic [better pad and better compression]).

Agree with this...they are great bibs!

Vientomas
03-27-2013, 02:47 PM
Another Boure fan here. Elite bib shorts. Made in USA, no questions asked return policy, and free shipping. I like most of their products.

srice
03-27-2013, 03:38 PM
Pro, Elite, or Classic?

I owned a few pair of Boure Pro shorts and the seam in the middle of the chamois gave me saddle sores.

Elites - that is the first one I tried and I have stuck with them

veggieburger
04-11-2013, 09:09 AM
Lou sent me a really nice pair of Castellis with the red "Y" chamois that just don't work for my body. I guess Castelli is out. If anyone would like them, I'll pass em along for what I paid - $33 shipped.

The search continues!

gavingould
04-11-2013, 10:29 AM
may have to check out the Boure stuff - been wearing Rapha and Voler the last couple years, Verge before that. No problems with Rapha unless you count price - very comfortable, very durable.

LouDeeter
04-11-2013, 11:25 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe these are the Castelli shorts he is offering for $33 shipped. XXL That is a great price. I'm tempted to buy them back.

veggieburger
04-11-2013, 11:42 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe these are the Castelli shorts he is offering for $33 shipped. XXL That is a great price. I'm tempted to buy them back.

Those are the ones! Thanks again Lou, I appreciate your help.

kvnmuadib
04-13-2013, 02:08 AM
too big or too small?thnx...kevin

old fat man
04-13-2013, 11:11 AM
I have some brand new black Sugoi RS bib shorts that I'm probably not going to need this season. I'm 6'1" and 180 lbs but these sag just a bit on me, so may work for you?

$60 mailed if you're interested. I've always liked the Sugoi bibs, but I just received some team clothing, so these are unnecessary.