PDA

View Full Version : quick question: CK BB

AngryScientist
03-25-2013, 04:51 AM
Chris king external bottom bracket:

I have the park took that installs cups for campy ultra-torque, shimano hollowtech, and sram GXP.

same tool good for the CK cups?

firerescuefin
03-25-2013, 04:54 AM
Yes it will work...

The ck tool is designed to prevent you from marring the finish/teeth on the BB.

Vientomas
03-25-2013, 06:18 AM
I used a Shimano tool to install a CK BB on my mountain bike. No problemo.

thegunner
03-25-2013, 06:44 AM
serious question - how much better is a CK bb than a standard CXP or shimano bb? More durability? Smoother bearings? I've always liked the idea of going more boutique, but I can't convince myself to...

firerescuefin
03-25-2013, 06:59 AM
serious question - how much better is a CK bb than a standard CXP or shimano bb? More durability? Smoother bearings? I've always liked the idea of going more boutique, but I can't convince myself to...

Much better....worth the money IMO...Guaranteed for 5 years, User servicable (Grease tool with Zirk fitting), smooth...and CK quality and aesthetic. It's not going to change your world, but I'd buy another...and will be buying the Press Fit version when they release it here in a month or two.

oldpotatoe
03-25-2013, 07:02 AM

Well, the GXP and shimano are now essentially consumables. Yes, you can swap the bearings with better bearings but it's cheaper to just throw them away and get a new one.

CK, like their HS, very nice and come in colors!

cfox
03-25-2013, 07:12 AM

I bought one and returned it. It was lovely to behold, but I didn't like the extra moving parts (plastic ring/washer thingy). I am sure it is not a problem, but I prefer the fewest moving parts possible in a BB. Reduces groan/creak potential. Plus some folks have noted CK BB's don't play nice with Ti frames (I have a Ti bike), even when slathered in Ti-prep or Phil's grease. Dura Ace BB's are smooth and last a long time for me.

45K10
03-25-2013, 11:22 AM
Much better....worth the money IMO...Guaranteed for 5 years, User servicable (Grease tool with Zirk fitting), smooth...and CK quality and aesthetic. It's not going to change your world, but I'd buy another...and will be buying the Press Fit version when they release it here in a month or two.

Oh, I did not know they were coming out out with a PF version. I really like the one I have on my road bike. Getting ready to build up a new cross frame that is BB-30 and was thinking I would buy a Praxis adaptor but I now I will wait for CK PF BB.
Thanks for the heads up

SteveV0983
03-25-2013, 09:23 PM
[QUOTE=cfox;1318256]Plus some folks have noted CK BB's don't play nice with Ti frames (I have a Ti bike), even when slathered in Ti-prep or Phil's grease. [QUOTE]

I've had the exact opposite experience. I had constant popping and ticking with Ultegra BBs on my Serotta Colorado tg, but the King in my Moots has been dead silent and perfectly smooth. I did use Ti prep. I used the grease injection tool for the first time a couple of weeks ago and it literally could not be simpler.