PDA

View Full Version : Chris Froome

rileystylee
03-25-2013, 03:17 AM
I know he's doing well this year and seems to be Sky's choice for a Tour De France win but i just can't seem to find anything about him to like....

He just seems sneaky, maybe because he rides with a union jack on his shirt but he's actually Kenyan is the reason... (is that racist or culturalist ?)

Anyhow i for one will not be cheering him along at this years tour - my banner will be for Sir Bradley;)

jpw
03-25-2013, 03:55 AM
I know he's doing well this year and seems to be Sky's choice for a Tour De France win but i just can't seem to find anything about him to like....

He just seems sneaky, maybe because he rides with a union jack on his shirt but he's actually Kenyan is the reason... (is that racist or culturalist ?)

Anyhow i for one will not be cheering him along at this years tour - my banner will be for Sir Bradley;)

he's got slightly shifty eyes.

Joachim
03-25-2013, 05:28 AM

Are you serious? So all kids born to American parents in other countries are therefore according to you not Americans? Comments like these ^^^ bring the forum down a notch.

christian
03-25-2013, 05:29 AM
Hey, you like something about/someone on Sky at all. That's miles ahead of me. I just haven't been able to get on that program.

christian
03-25-2013, 05:33 AM
Are you serious? So all kids born to American parents in other countries are therefore according to you not Americans?Isn't that what the whole Birther conspiracy was about - you know John McCain was born in the Panama Canal zone, so couldn't be President. Wait, the Birther nonsense wasn't about McCain?

rwsaunders
03-25-2013, 06:08 AM
"I was born in a hospital so that I could be close to my Mother"...Curly Joe Howard

Vientomas
03-25-2013, 06:15 AM
Hey, you like something about/someone on Sky at all. That's miles ahead of me. I just haven't been able to get on that program.

Some say that team Sky has the best "program."

rileystylee
03-25-2013, 06:31 AM
Are you serious? So all kids born to American parents in other countries are therefore according to you not Americans? Comments like these ^^^ bring the forum down a notch.

According to me they can be American or whatever they want to be...

He was born in Kenya, (i think his father and grandfather were British), identifies himself as being Kenyan - but he's "British" for the purposes of his sport - doesn't make sense to me....

"Christopher "Chris" Froome (born 20 May 1985) is a professional road racing cyclist who rides for UCI ProTeam Team Sky.[2] Born in Kenya and brought up in South Africa, since spring 2008 he has ridden under a British licence on the basis of his passport and father's and grandparents' country of birth."

Whereas Wiggins has an Australian dad, british mum, was born in belgium but raised in the UK and identifies himself as being a Brit.

confusing isn't it?

ultraman6970
03-25-2013, 06:42 AM
Hmmm this subject is quite sensitive because for example in italy doesnt matter your background of last names... if you are born in italy you are italian, for other countries is the same thing. Thats why somehow (besides soccer situation) italians have problems with the argentinians of italian descent, they swear to be italians but they dont even cant speak italian to start with, well not even think in local dialects.

I know a bunch of born american and canadian kids that are sons and daughters from people that was exiled or went to another country to find their own lives that still still considered from their parents country but the cruel reality is that mother land havent give you crap, their passport is not the motherland one and the worse thing, they dont even talk the spanish like the locals...

Asians in general are more neutral about it because besides an identification with their descent countries... you are form where you born but you have those cases of people that born in one place and grew somewhere else... but if you have been living all your life in mars, you speak martian and your passport say that you are a martian citizen will be hard to stick that you are from earth specially with the earthlings you know.

Froome is african to me...

axel23
03-25-2013, 07:16 AM
Isn't this more about team sponsorship that ethnicity? Sky is British and the team is organized around that promotion. Wearing a Union Jack probably reflects that more than where Chris or his parents were born.
The question of ethnicity and nationality is - as we all know - immensely complicated. And nowhere more so than in sports.

As for seeming "sneaky," that would hardly be the word I would use even if I thought he was "actually Kenyan." I guess I'd just rather watch the racing than have a debate about ethnicity.

duke
03-25-2013, 07:19 AM
Froome is african to me...[/QUOTE]

African? Really? Is that a country?

jpw
03-25-2013, 07:22 AM
Cancellara is 'Swiss'. That's even more complicated.

FlashUNC
03-25-2013, 07:27 AM
Not to completely defend the OP, but Froome did abandon is Kenyan Federation license for a British one, so he could have easier access to world-class races and receive the kind of support and organization Kenya simply didn't have.

From what I remember reading about it, there was a lot of bad blood on both sides when he dumped his Kenyan affiliation.

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/riders/2008/interviews/?id=chris_froome_nov08

"They have not been helpful at all, it has been really disappointing. I did a lot with Kenyan cycling and to have them to deny me the opportunity to ride in the Olympics that leaves a bit of sour taste in my mouth. ... There is an Olympic rule that says you can't go to the Olympics for another nationality within three years of changing, unless your previous country agrees to let you go."

BumbleBeeDave
03-25-2013, 07:42 AM
. . . he was the second gunman on the grassy knoll.

BBD

Shortsocks
03-25-2013, 08:42 AM
he's got slightly shifty eyes.

You know. I'm sure he's a good guy. He does have shifty eyes. But compared to Sir Wigo he's just bland and has to live in a HUGE shadow. Wigo is very animated and has such an cool asshole personality that he seems to hold the blue collar/London underground attitude very well. Froome is a pro cyclist, like any other pro cyclsit and such he has the same I'm the best attitude. I like Froome but I really like Wigo. I'll root for him but there are other members I enjoyed/enjoy more. Boasson Hagen, Eisel, Geraint Thomas, Swift and of course Richie Porte. I actually really like Riche Porte.

Froome just constantly looks uncomfortable.

Socks

jpw
03-25-2013, 08:47 AM
Not to completely defend the OP, but Froome did abandon is Kenyan Federation license for a British one, so he could have easier access to world-class races and receive the kind of support and organization Kenya simply didn't have.

From what I remember reading about it, there was a lot of bad blood on both sides when he dumped his Kenyan affiliation.

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/riders/2008/interviews/?id=chris_froome_nov08

"They have not been helpful at all, it has been really disappointing. I did a lot with Kenyan cycling and to have them to deny me the opportunity to ride in the Olympics that leaves a bit of sour taste in my mouth. ... There is an Olympic rule that says you can't go to the Olympics for another nationality within three years of changing, unless your previous country agrees to let you go."

It's all self interest, by Froome, by the Kenyan authorities. He was the Kenya team manager as well as a rider. Too many hats, too much local politics. The Brits will take anyone :-)

jpw
03-25-2013, 08:51 AM
You know. I'm sure he's a good guy. He does have shifty eyes. But compared to Sir Wigo he's just bland and has to live in a HUGE shadow. Wigo is very animated and has such an cool asshole personality that he seems to hold the blue collar/London underground attitude very well. Froome is a pro cyclist, like any other pro cyclsit and such he has the same I'm the best attitude. I like Froome but I really like Wigo. I'll root for him but there are other members I enjoyed/enjoy more. Boasson Hagen, Eisel, Geraint Thomas, Swift and of course Richie Porte. I actually really like Riche Porte.

Froome just constantly looks uncomfortable.

Socks

Edvald - does he have a fan club? he's so.... bland (and I say this in a nice way - i have Norwegian acquaintances). He needs to get going, on and off the bike.

ultraman6970
03-25-2013, 08:53 AM
Pfff dont want to start with this one or i will get banned again :)

Asians... chinese... canadians/americans... gringos... turks.. middle easterns.. blah blah and more blah :P

Froome is african to me...

African? Really? Is that a country?[/QUOTE]

CunegoFan
03-25-2013, 10:39 AM
Some say that team Sky has the best "program."

This is why I cannot support Froome or Sky. It is like watching the rebirth of U.S. Postal squared. The performances by riders who were nobodies on the road two or three years ago is so ludicrous it harms the credibility of the sport.

A couple of years ago Brailsford gave an interview where he rated all the team's riders Froome was rated as the worst rider on the team, barely suitable for domestique duties on a World Tour team. In the middle of 2011, he was struggling to find a contract for 2012. Then, like flipping on a light switch, he is best rider at the 2011 Vuelta and would have won if he did not have to babysit Wiggins. The same probably goes for the 2012 Tour. I am not buying it.

BumbleBeeDave
03-25-2013, 10:44 AM
Edvald - does he have a fan club? he's so.... bland (and I say this in a nice way - i have Norwegian acquaintances). He needs to get going, on and off the bike.

. . . of the Tour last summer and there were abundant "Boasson Hagen Fan Club" members by the side of the road everywhere it seemed. Or maybe they were just more noticable in those Viking helmets. :rolleyes:

BBD

goonster
03-25-2013, 11:06 AM
if you are born in italy you are italian

only if:
- one of your parents is Italian OR
- your parents are stateless OR
- your parent's countries' law prohibits you from obtaining their citizenship

Exhibit A: Mario Balotelli (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mario_Balotelli)

So basically, no. The majority of European countries have laws like these, although some (e.g. Germany) confer citizenship eligibility at birth if the parents are long-time legal alien residents (but they have to apply, and are subject to restrictions, so it is not true birthright citizenship).

for other countries is the same thing.

Jus Soli (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jus_soli) is common in the Americas, but extremely rare everywhere else.

"30 of the world's 194 countries grant automatic birthright citizenship . . ."

Asians in general are more neutral about it because besides an identification with their descent countries... you are form where you born

I've met some Chinese from Indonesia, Koreans from Japan, and Mongolians from all over the place, who might disagree . . .

jpw
03-25-2013, 11:38 AM
. . . of the Tour last summer and there were abundant "Boasson Hagen Fan Club" members by the side of the road everywhere it seemed. Or maybe they were just more noticable in those Viking helmets. :rolleyes:

BBD

I thought they were mega syringes chasing Bertie out of France. He'll need more steak this summer.

William
03-25-2013, 01:49 PM
I thought they were mega syringes chasing Bertie out of France. He'll need more steak this summer.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mf2yjaCCff1raj8mk.gif

;)
William

Shortsocks
03-25-2013, 02:14 PM

LOL. You're right. He's not too exciting. But he's not "Chris Froome Creepy".
We need more Jens Voigts in UCI racing. Or at least a Tom Boonen reality show where he plays a Coked up Ferrari driving Belgian Cyclist with a mullet......wait. :no:

Socks

MattTuck
03-25-2013, 02:22 PM
I have become more a fan of the classics races, despite the fact I need to wake up early on Sunday mornings and watch grainy illegal streamed feeds from European broadcasters (hopefully in English), than the grand tours.

That said, I think there are a bunch of interesting, complex and flawed characters that can make for an entertaining race around France. My biggest hope is that there is some good aggressive racing from the favorites and everyone isn't just waiting for the final mountain stage.

Especially if Sky is as strong as they were last year, with virtually all of their team riding most of the way up the final climb at the front of the peloton.... that isn't much fun to watch.

I hope Sky has an intra-team battle for who the leader is like 1986, Hinnault and Lemond
I hope AC comes out swinging.
I hope Andy S. has been practicing downhill mountain biking and time trialling all year
I hope an American makes a run at the podium
I hope there is less than 3 minutes separating the top 5 places in Paris
I hope the cleanbottle gets taken out by a moto
I hope someone solos to victory in Paris
I hope a virtual unknown (as a top stage racer) takes a podium place
I hope there aren't crashes due to a 'nervous' peloton for the first week
I hope no one is seriously injured and has to withdraw due to a crash caused by an oil slick on the road
I hope that RoadID sponsors bracelets for all the riders and eliminates the broom wagon, if people can't make it to the finish, the spectators can call their emergency contacts