PDA

View Full Version : My stem WAS too short

Ken Robb
11-18-2005, 08:06 PM
The Jerk was right--and he didn't even see me. The Hampsten ( I can't seem to say MY Hampsten yet) came with a 13cm -10 stem. Too long and too low for me. I flipped it for +10--much better but more stretched out than I'm used to. Great handling bike. I swapped for a 11cm +15 stem and it felt pretty good on a test ride in the alley but when I got out on the road the handling was not as precise and I had less power. It felt like my glutes were out of action. Switched back and all is good again. Now I'll have to see about more long stems for my other bikes.

I'll bet that my Riv bikes are not good candidates for longer stems but my Waterford might be. Design differences I think.

Smiley
11-19-2005, 09:21 AM
I'd have every thing checked out first on your other bikes before I would assume that you need to lengthen your stem on all your other bikes. By the way the effective stem length is shortened once you flipped it over to the + 10 degree position by maybe 1-1.5 cm in horizontal length , Plus the higher stem height shortened your reach by this same diagional reach effect. I would also add Ken that you check the front center and the trail for this new Hampsten against what the other bikes are before buying new stems , this maybe the reason for better stability with having more weight on the front end of the hampsten. Enjoy the new bike and please post pictures.

Ken Robb
11-19-2005, 10:08 AM
thanks Smiley--I didn't mean that I was going to do a wholesale refit but that I would think about each of my bikes in light of my experience with the Hampsten. You're right,of course, about the stem getting shorter when flipped. My pal, the LBS owner-tech, told me the stem was a 12 when I knew it was listed and originally measured by me as 13cm. The Hampsten has 59.5 tt whereas my Legend is 58.5, Waterford 59cm so they are all close. There are some pix posted here a week or so back in General Discussion.