PDA

View Full Version : Handmade Frames In Mainstream Press!

e-RICHIE
11-18-2005, 05:03 PM
I just got my December issue of Robb Report and am
ecstatic to see a great article of lugged steel frames
made by Waterford Precision Cycles in the gift guide
section. It is a full page-er with good copy and two
wonderful photographs.

Congratulations to Richard, Marc, Shu, Brian, Dave,
and the rest of the staff there.

e-RICHIE©™®

David Kirk
11-18-2005, 05:09 PM
Nice job........you go Ramon Wagez!

Dave

72gmc
11-18-2005, 05:11 PM
I think you buried the lead.

e-RICHIE
11-18-2005, 05:14 PM
I think you buried the lead.

subscribing since the mid 80s...

SoCalSteve
11-18-2005, 07:43 PM
Been a subscriber since the early 90's.

Great articles and ads...

Steve

72gmc
11-18-2005, 07:55 PM
subscribing since the mid 80s...

it's probably obvious by my forum name that I, uh, don't subscribe. More power to those who do, though. Back when I worked in broadcasting the station subscribed and I would read it... enjoyed the "how to choose your personal jet" type articles. Nice to hear about press for Waterford.

bulliedawg
11-18-2005, 08:20 PM
"Handmade Frames In Mainstream Press!"

e-Ritchie didn't bury the lead. The lead is that the Robb Report is the "mainstream press." This is certainly news to me.

As for frame builders subscribing to the Robb Report: Hey, you gotta know you market.

The Spider
11-19-2005, 12:53 AM
Charvet shirt, seven fold Bulgari tie, Kilgour suit, Lobb shoes....who is that man about town....

why it's e-RICHIE©™®!!!

Jeff N.
11-19-2005, 09:09 AM
I like Waterford frames, while my wife likes Waterford crystal. How did Waterford bikes come up with their name, anyway? Jeff N.

e-RICHIE
11-19-2005, 09:20 AM
http://www.waterford-wi.org/

doh

Ken Robb
11-19-2005, 10:33 AM
Schwinn needed room so they moved their Paramount production "line" from the Chicago Schwinn factory to Waterford, WI. which is just across the Illinois state line. When Asian investors bought Schwinn they were not very interested in the low production/custom Paramount line of bikes so Richard Schwinn and, I think, his partner Mark ended up with that end of te business. Having sold the Schwinn name they adopted "Waterford". A couple of years ago I had a 1.5 hour tour with Richard starting with "here's where the tubing arrives" to "this is where they are packed for shipping". Last year Leslie and I had a shorter but still fine tour of Serotta. It could be shorter because I had learned a lot and had many basic questions answered at Waterford.

I have a Legend, CSI, and Waterford RS-11 and each of them is a wonderful bicycle and each is stock geometry.

Both businesses are staffed by skilled people who obviously love what they do and will generously give their time to people like us who share their love for bicycles.

My RS-11 is Reynolds 531 steel. This model was their least expensive lugged frame is no longer available probably due to the labor cost of tat method of construction. Happily they still offer the 2200 line which is lugged but 853, Tru-Temper, and maybe other newer steel alloys.

I emailed Richard and said that I really loved the ride and handling of this RS-11 and asked which of his current production he would recommend as an upgrade. He said that if I liked this bike the newest ones wouldn't really ride and better but they could be a bit lighter. I loved that bit of high-pressure sales tactics. :rolleyes:

e-RICHIE
11-19-2005, 10:51 AM
He said that if I liked this bike the newest ones wouldn't really ride and better but they could be a bit lighter.

agreed.
brilliant.

ride, or benchpress.
you decide!

shaq-d
11-19-2005, 05:07 PM
just went to the waterford site. really nicely done. they haev a message board too. pretty cool... impressive feedback.

most of all though i love the geometry tables. says it all.

sd