PDA

View Full Version : OT: 40th Anniversary of Dark Side of The Moon

slidey
03-24-2013, 10:29 AM
Today, is the 40th Anniversary of one of the all-time great albums, from one of my favourite band! There will never be another Pink Floyd...enjoy.

http://darkside40.pinkfloyd.com/

572cv
03-24-2013, 11:21 AM
The local high end audio store got it right off, and wired up speakers around the perimeter of the store to play the (gasp) LP..... PF swirled around the store in rushes that ebbed and flowed in sometimes contradictory sometimes complementary directions... Un tour de force.

beeatnik
03-24-2013, 12:35 PM
Used to hate this album and never understood how it could be so popular. It was one of those CDs that even kids who didn't like music had in their collection. At one point I bet it was in 90% of dorm rooms. I was in the Johnny Rotten camp:

http://flavorwire.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/johnny-rotten-pink-floyd.jpg

A few years ago I bought one of the limited edition remastered versions of DSOTM for my lady. I thought it was a truly generous gesture as I would have to listen to the album for a few weeks at least. One night, when I couldn't sleep I decided to listen to it with headphones. I figured it would bore me to sleep. This was around the time I was really into all the interesting electronic music coming out of England (Warp et al). Not only did the album not bore me to sleep but it blew my mind. The sound density of the thing...wow.

Apparently, I'm still in the Johnny Rotten camp as he actually digs the album:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2010/feb/18/john-lydon-pink-floyd

slidey
03-24-2013, 01:02 PM
Oh man, Pink Floyd on headphones is ecstatic! Its as good as it gets, a close second is the Alchemy live concert by Dire Straits.

slidey
03-24-2013, 01:04 PM
That is awesome! There's something about watching a bunch of music aficionados digging your favourite tune, some kind of a wonderful connection.

The local high end audio store got it right off, and wired up speakers around the perimeter of the store to play the (gasp) LP..... PF swirled around the store in rushes that ebbed and flowed in sometimes contradictory sometimes complementary directions... Un tour de force.

pdmtong
03-24-2013, 01:20 PM
Go see Roger Waters do the whole thing live. It is awesome. best you can do short of the whole band.

Now, I guess I will go get my Mobile Fidelity pressing and play it.

mnoble485
03-24-2013, 01:37 PM
I'll date myself and say I saw Pink Floyd when they did their DSOTM tour. From what I remember it was a day of getting ready and a night of magic. They set up in Tampa Stadium with speakers literally everywhere. Like I said, from what I remember.

Mike

OtayBW
03-24-2013, 01:58 PM
I saw them play at Radio City in ~April of '73 when DSOTM very new. The set list included songs from Meddle, Obsurced by Clouds, and Ummagumma in addition to DSOTM. They rose up out of the orchestra pit at 1:00am in a cloud of blue smoke to the sound of an organ drone chord. Speakers surrounding the hall. Freaking unbelievable....

tiger
03-24-2013, 02:12 PM
40 years? Man, I'm getting old. Great album.

beeatnik
03-24-2013, 02:17 PM
For a while, in the indie rock world, being compared to Pink Floyd was the ultimate put down. Radiohead spent the last 15 years trying to leave behind the prog (we can blame Eno for better or worse). In any case, the talk of seeing Pink Floyd live in the 70s sends me on early 2000s flashbacks of Radiohead when they were the Pink Floyd of stadium rock. Good stuffs...

rodcad
03-24-2013, 03:25 PM
[QUOTE=mnoble485;1317929 Like I said, from what I remember.

Mike[/QUOTE]

Seen them a few times and I can relate :no:

Louis
03-24-2013, 03:58 PM
a day of getting ready

So you spent the whole day listening to the music and trying to decide what to wear? ;)

bikinchris
03-24-2013, 05:12 PM
I have four copies of that album. Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab's half speed virgin vinyl and a normal early copy on vinyl. I also have a 24k gold MFSL CD and an early copy of the CD when it was released.
I was never a head, but I loved the music. I spent many a time listening to that album with a $150 needle and good headphones. What they could do with two channels was great.

fuzzalow
03-24-2013, 07:33 PM
Vinyl hounds chase 1st pressings of the UK release of DSOTM. Big bucks. There are differences in the sound but I just gave up looking after a while. My vinyl is the reissue 30th Anniversary copy. Good enough.

Gilmour's Strat through Hi-Watts before he went to the heavily processed guitar sound. What a sound.

ultraman6970
03-24-2013, 07:55 PM
Hmm i have an argentinian LP edition of that in my moms house (if its still there).

Great stuff.

bikinchris
03-24-2013, 08:01 PM
That internet stream of DSOTM in the OP does not have anywhere near the fidelity, separation of channels and clarity that makes this such a work of art. If that was the first version I heard, I would be far less impressed. CD's and MP3's have ruined music.
In my 4 versions I own, the clarity and fidelity and separation of the channels can be clearly heard most in the vinyl album and the 24K gold CD, but the normal Vinyl beats the regular CD by far and is frankly on par with the 24k gold CD. MP3 versions are actually crap.
On the secion with the clocks, you can hear EACH clock in a different part of th 'room' as it is added into the track and then again each alarm is also in a different part. You can't hear that on the MP3 tracks. It is not truly stereo IMO.

pdmtong
03-24-2013, 08:09 PM
That internet stream of DSOTM in the OP does not have anywhere near the fidelity, separation of channels and clarity that makes this such a work of art. If that was the first version I heard, I would be far less impressed. CD's and MP3's have ruined music.
In my 4 versions I own, the clarity and fidelity and separation of the channels can be clearly heard most in the vinyl album and the 24K gold CD, but the normal Vinyl beats the regular CD by far and is frankly on par with the 24k gold CD. MP3 versions are actually crap.
On the secion with the clocks, you can hear EACH clock in a different part of th 'room' as it is added into the track and then again each alarm is also in a different part. You can't hear that on the MP3 tracks. It is not truly stereo IMO.

Thank gawd for your post. 128kps mp3s have killed music.

I have the gold CD and the MFSL vinyl. There is a difference.

slidey
03-24-2013, 08:17 PM
Although, all I have are MP3's I can't agree more with you. One of the first luxury items I'm going to buy is the Pink Floyd Box Set in Vinyl, and a vinyl player. Presently, I make do with higher quality mp3's.

Dallez
03-24-2013, 08:34 PM
A great great album. I'm 34. My dad gave me this album and Led Zeppelin I one Christmas when I was in high school. An inexpensive gift but one I will never forget. Music from his generation that was just incredible. Up until that point I was only in to current music.

I picked up the 2011 remaster version on vinyl last year. Even though it was digitally sourced, it sounds fantastic to me. One day I might hunt down a UK 1st pressing but this version is still very good and is only about $25.

bikinchris
03-24-2013, 08:46 PM
Thank gawd for your post. 128kps mp3s have killed music.

I have the gold CD and the MFSL vinyl. There is a difference.

I probably wasn't clear. The MFSL vinyl record is by far the best sound quality. The 24k MFSL CD and the regular vinyl are nearly the same. the regular aluminum CD is lowest in quality of the 4. MP3's are way below that in quality.

AgilisMerlin
03-24-2013, 08:58 PM
time / flies / http://img-thumb.ffffound.com/static-data/assets/6/148f5d891b1ed4b4b1241f78a68a0621344fb00a_s.jpg

572cv
03-24-2013, 09:06 PM
A great great album. I'm 34. My dad gave me this album and Led Zeppelin I one Christmas when I was in high school. An inexpensive gift but one I will never forget. Music from his generation that was just incredible. Up until that point I was only in to current music.

I picked up the 2011 remaster version on vinyl last year. Even though it was digitally sourced, it sounds fantastic to me. One day I might hunt down a UK 1st pressing but this version is still very good and is only about $25.

As a pretty young guy, I took a date to a concert. The Spectrum in Philadelphia. The card was a bunch of new bands that mostly one had only just heard of.... Mike Bloomfield and Al Kooper; some big albino guy from Texas named Johnny Winter ( I'm yours and I'm her's ! ); this English band called Jethro Tull ( the headliners for most people); and this other English band- don't even remember if their first album was out yet- Led Zeppelin. I was blown away. My date hated it. I never took her out again.
It was unbelievable how much music was happening at that time.

pdmtong
03-24-2013, 09:15 PM
I probably wasn't clear. The MFSL vinyl record is by far the best sound quality. The 24k MFSL CD and the regular vinyl are nearly the same. the regular aluminum CD is lowest in quality of the 4. MP3's are way below that in quality.

It was me who wasnt clear. I meant to agree the MFSL and the gold CD stand far above the rest.

slidey
03-24-2013, 09:24 PM
HOLY SMOKES! Led Zep + Jethro Tull, in one night...You lucky man!

this English band called Jethro Tull ( the headliners for most people); and this other English band- don't even remember if their first album was out yet- Led Zeppelin.

I'm only in my late-20's, and I've been hooked on Pink Floyd/Led Zeppelin/Dire Straits for around 13 or so years now. But, my first intro to Pink Floyd was through DSOTM. My parents had a tough time keeping me in place to feed me (around 5~8 years old I guess), and it so happened that "Time" was playing one day, and my parents found that I was really intrigued by the helicopter sounds, the clock ticking, the alarm clocks, and was actually sitting still! Ever since then, my parents made it a point to play DSOTM whenever I was a handful for them. Once I grew up, and was actually hungry and eating on my own the connection with DSOTM was severed. It was maybe another few years while in high-school, that I was reintroduced to Pink Floyd, once again through DSOTM. This time however, it was for the hunger of good music, and I've stayed on that diet thus far.

SpokeValley
03-24-2013, 11:27 PM

You have a cool Dad!