PDA

View Full Version : Delta Brakes

summilux
03-24-2013, 06:00 AM
I have a vintagish frame (Olmo Leader) from 1990 or so. I would like to put Delta brakes on it. Am I correct in assuming that the last Delta version (5th) is the best one for using? Are Deltas OK for use with 10s Ergolevers? How do I tell the difference between the C-Record and Croce d'Aune versions? Does it matter?

jr59
03-24-2013, 06:14 AM
CdAs have an exposed spring on the rear of the brake!

oldpotatoe
03-24-2013, 06:16 AM
I have a vintagish frame (Olmo Leader) from 1990 or so. I would like to put Delta brakes on it. Am I correct in assuming that the last Delta version (5th) is the best one for using? Are Deltas OK for use with 10s Ergolevers? How do I tell the difference between the C-Record and Croce d'Aune versions? Does it matter?

Yes, black bellows, wee bit weaker springs(since the matched lever had a return spring), 5 pivot..what I have on my Merckx. Works fine with 10s ERGO levers.

CDA had exposed springs, not nearly as nice of a brake.

summilux
03-24-2013, 07:41 AM
I've looked for a good timeline link for Delta and I can't find one. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

White bellows = which version?

ctcyclistbob
03-24-2013, 08:08 AM
This might be what you're looking for; hopefully it helps.

Campy Only Timeline:
http://www.campyonly.com/history/campy_timeline.html

Delta Brake Info:
http://www.campyonly.com/roadtests/delta.html

harryschwartzma
03-24-2013, 08:10 AM
This (http://www.campyonly.com/roadtests/delta.html) seems appropriate for an Italian Sunday morning...

choke
03-24-2013, 10:41 AM
As has been said, they will work fine with newer levers.

A big improvement comes from installing the newer pad holders and thus more modern pads. They will fit either version; you can use the original flat headed nuts but you need to add another thin washer on the inside of the arm so that they can tighten down enough.

Record Deltas are a bit sleeker and lighter than the CdA but I actually prefer the latter. Because of the way that they mount the CdA have more clearance and allow you to run a larger tire. That of course is dependent on where the mounting points are but I run Parigi-Roubaixs under CdAs on one bike - no way would they fit under Records.

summilux
03-24-2013, 11:21 AM
I found this, which has pics of all 5 gens:

http://campagnolodelta.blogspot.ca/2010/09/campagnolo-c-record-delta-brake.html

donevwil
03-24-2013, 02:38 PM
As choke wrote, replace the pads with some Campy or Kool Stop Campy cartridges. Any of the five pivot brakes will work well, older three pivots less so. The latest with the black bellows are the best, but sell for a real premium. Record Deltas adjust pad height via a slotted mounting bolt in the body and have fixed pads while CDA have the more traditional fixed mounting bolt and slotted pad mounting (in addition to external springs and fatter body). CDA five pivots work as well'ish as Record five pivots and can be had for MUCH less. May be a short term path until you get lucky and find some black bellowed Records. Deltas were desiged around wider rims of that era (21mm?) and aren't really optimized for 19mm rims. With newer cartridge pads thinner than the original block pads current 23mm rims may be ideal, although I haven't tried it yet.

MilanoTom
03-24-2013, 03:13 PM
Kool Stop Nuovo Record pads will fit in the original holders. I've got 'em on an early Masi 3V.

Regards,
Tom

As has been said, they will work fine with newer levers.

A big improvement comes from installing the newer pad holders and thus more modern pads. They will fit either version; you can use the original flat headed nuts but you need to add another thin washer on the inside of the arm so that they can tighten down enough.

Record Deltas are a bit sleeker and lighter than the CdA but I actually prefer the latter. Because of the way that they mount the CdA have more clearance and allow you to run a larger tire. That of course is dependent on where the mounting points are but I run Parigi-Roubaixs under CdAs on one bike - no way would they fit under Records.

oldpotatoe
03-25-2013, 06:48 AM
I've looked for a good timeline link for Delta and I can't find one. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

White bellows = which version?

White bellows are actually 2nd(3 pivot) or 3rd generation, 5 pivot. Black bellows late 80s, early 90s(thru 1993/4)

oldpotatoe
03-25-2013, 06:51 AM
As choke wrote, replace the pads with some Campy or Kool Stop Campy cartridges. Any of the five pivot brakes will work well, older three pivots less so. The latest with the black bellows are the best, but sell for a real premium. Record Deltas adjust pad height via a slotted mounting bolt in the body and have fixed pads while CDA have the more traditional fixed mounting bolt and slotted pad mounting (in addition to external springs and fatter body). CDA five pivots work as well'ish as Record five pivots and can be had for MUCH less. May be a short term path until you get lucky and find some black bellowed Records. Deltas were desiged around wider rims of that era (21mm?) and aren't really optimized for 19mm rims. With newer cartridge pads thinner than the original block pads current 23mm rims may be ideal, although I haven't tried it yet.

Last gen(black bellows) actually came with 2 sets of washers for underneath the brake block/holder. 5.6mm and 4.5mm(?), for either 21mm rims or 23mm rims.

I have both and have used Deltas for Mavic Mach2CD and Campagnolo tubie rims, which are all pretty wide.

mnoble485
03-26-2013, 06:27 AM
Met a new friend a few months ago and he had these in his garage along with some lust worthy bikes.

Mike1697858175

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

jr59
03-26-2013, 06:39 AM
Met a new friend a few months ago and he had these in his garage along with some lust worthy bikes.

Mike1697858175

That is sick! That guy makes me a bit ill!

gomango
03-26-2013, 06:44 AM
So that's where they all are.

Bring on some bicycle pics please.

I'm home sick and I could use some good cheer.

oldpotatoe
03-26-2013, 07:00 AM

Mike1697858175

Holy ****e!!

AngryScientist
03-26-2013, 07:01 AM
what a waste...

54ny77
03-26-2013, 07:03 AM
i like that guy's taste in art.

Mike1697858175

ultraman6970
03-26-2013, 07:18 AM
Is the guy in VA by any chance?

William
03-26-2013, 07:19 AM
HOARDER!!!!!:eek:

We need an intervention STAT!!!

;)
William

MilanoTom
03-26-2013, 07:49 AM
Anyone who'll even hoard Tipo hubs has a serious problem.

Regards,
Tom

witcombusa
03-26-2013, 10:54 AM
That is sick! That guy makes me a bit ill!

Why?

Just a few spares for a rainy day....

FlashUNC
03-26-2013, 11:21 AM
I'm not going to knock someone's love for a niche product, but wow.

That's a lot of very specific, very deep love.

SpokeValley
03-26-2013, 04:32 PM

Mike1697858175

OMG! I hope he's a GOOD friend!

garysol1
03-26-2013, 06:38 PM
A buddy of mine has these in his garage....For those of you that know what they are... :banana:

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c342/garysol1/IMG_4884.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c342/garysol1/IMG_4886.jpg

oldpotatoe
03-27-2013, 06:23 AM
A buddy of mine has these in his garage....For those of you that know what they are... :banana:

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c342/garysol1/IMG_4884.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c342/garysol1/IMG_4886.jpg

First gen, QR at top of caliper. Right after these they put the QR in the lever(still that way today. Deltas was the genesis of the QR in the lever) and the top bellows became an adjust, white bellows. VERY rare.

mnoble485
03-27-2013, 12:51 PM
Didn't mean to derail the thread with the picture of Delta brakes. The garage is full of bikes that are truly drool worthy. Don't really want to out him without talking to him first but trust me this is a great collection.

Mike

mktng
03-28-2013, 07:46 AM
Thought i'd be cool and pick up a set of Shimano Aero brakes off a 600ax grouppo.

Ghetto Delta's.. I like to call them

Just not the same...

03-28-2013, 10:02 AM
To hell with photos. Just the address of his garage and when he's next on vacation.

Summilux, with a name like yours and looking for Deltas, don't you think you're a little weird? One obsession is bad enough. Two?