PDA

View Full Version : Play in cartridge bearing hub

atl001
03-23-2013, 09:33 PM
Hi all,

I have some Cane Creek wheels that use cartridge bearings but were not designed with any adjustment mechanism. The rear has noticeable play; Cane Creek suggests that new bearings are in order. I didn't tell them that these wheels are actually new (that I acquired second hand). Any suggestions for replacement bearings that are particularly "tight"? Or any ideas for tightening up the tolerances in the wheels as-is?

Thanks for your thoughts

Alex

Louis
03-23-2013, 09:36 PM
When installed in the dropouts with "normal" force on the QR how much lateral freeplay do you get at the rim?

atl001
03-23-2013, 09:44 PM
About 1mm play at the rim. I'm used to no play at all on my other wheels, including other cartridge bearing hubs; and the tires come pretty close to the chainstays, so I'd like to get rid of the play if possible.

Louis
03-23-2013, 09:54 PM
+/- 1 mm (total motion of 2 mm) does sound excessive.

One option is to to take it to a local dealer and see what they say. I just checked the CC web site, and it looks like they have several in your area.

Good Luck

atl001
03-23-2013, 09:56 PM
I meant about 1mm total play. Thanks for the suggestion.

jds108
03-23-2013, 10:05 PM
These worked for me when I had the same issue with a different brand of hubs:

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=13362&category=3013

Louis
03-23-2013, 10:18 PM
The trick is to figure out what commercially available (or via a bike-related source) bearing is the correct replacement for the ones currently on that wheel. I assume there are quite a few different standards.

Is there a good source out there for that type of info?

atl001
03-23-2013, 10:21 PM
Thanks for the Enduro Max bearing suggestion, it looks nice.

I'll just disassemble the hub to figure out what size the bearings are.

jds108
03-23-2013, 10:27 PM
The trick is to figure out what commercially available (or via a bike-related source) bearing is the correct replacement for the ones currently on that wheel. I assume there are quite a few different standards.

Is there a good source out there for that type of info?

Just measure the ID, OD, and thickness. Then make sure you're buying bearings with seals on both sides. There are more sub-categories of specs that I know nothing about... but bike shops aren't selling those other kinds of bearings so it's not worth educating one's self on it. (in my opinion, but I'm sure there are folks who will disagree)

Some bearings have a model on the seal, so you can go by that too.

ultraman6970
03-23-2013, 11:18 PM
Probably is a 6000 series, everybody uses the same thing.

There is a trick I learn from a guy in europe because even campagnolo wheels have that problem right out the box like for example the ventos years ago... cut a small washer made of a coke can and put it in there right outside of the bearing, tight it. Done. That should take care of the problem.

What happens is that the bearing seat was bored maybe tiny deeper than needed and the the cone cup thing should sit right on top but since the bearing is too deep you get that play. The old campy vento wheels had that problem because is a similar system, just tight the cones and that's it, but if the bearing hole was bored tiny deeper you get the tiny play. So you need to make up that tiny play using a home made washer (or two, one at each side). It wont mess with the dishing or anything just in case.

Hope this helps.

oldpotatoe
03-24-2013, 05:53 AM
Hi all,

I have some Cane Creek wheels that use cartridge bearings but were not designed with any adjustment mechanism. The rear has noticeable play; Cane Creek suggests that new bearings are in order. I didn't tell them that these wheels are actually new (that I acquired second hand). Any suggestions for replacement bearings that are particularly "tight"? Or any ideas for tightening up the tolerances in the wheels as-is?

Thanks for your thoughts

Alex

New wheel with play when installed in a frame, fork?

Poor manufacture. Usually if installed poorly, they are too tight, not too loose.

atl001
03-24-2013, 06:20 AM
cut a small washer made of a coke can

Yes, I think a thin shim would work. A coke can may or may not be the right thickness. I also have doubts about my ability to cut a clean inner circle. Are such shims available commercially, in various thicknesses?

oldpotatoe
03-24-2013, 06:23 AM
Yes, I think a thin shim would work. A coke can may or may not be the right thickness. I also have doubts about my ability to cut a clean inner circle. Are such shims available commercially, in various thicknesses?

A new wheel shouldn't EVER need a home, cutshimfromcokecan, solution. Call Canecreek, tell them they are new(really unridden?), and see what they say.

BTW-I have worked on a LOT of cart bearing wheel hubs and none should be like this outtathebox..something wasn't assembled right or something is missing. Get a hub parts blowup, take it apart to see if they forgot a shim somewhere.

atl001
03-24-2013, 06:23 AM
New wheel with play when installed in a frame, fork?

Poor manufacture. Usually if installed poorly, they are too tight, not too loose.

I was surprised (and disappointed) myself, as I have good experience with other Cane Creek products, including wheels. This was one of their later wheels, the Volos, but not the last version with the adjustment collar.

atl001
03-24-2013, 06:30 AM
A new wheel shouldn't EVER need a home, cutshimfromcokecan, solution. Call Canecreek, tell them they are new(really unridden?), and see what they say.

Yes, really unridden, from what I can see. I got them off ebay, and they were discontinued years ago, so I don't expect service from Cane Creek. The guy I spoke to the first time wasn't very familiar with these wheels and had to look up a service sheet on their website, so I didn't press him for detailed help.

ultraman6970
03-24-2013, 10:25 AM
ATL, doesnt need to be perfect, as long as the hole in the middle is kind'a right and the outside diameter is close to what it should be, you will be ok.

The problem is the thickness, sure what you need is a fraction of a mm and the other thing is that has to be the right size. Coke cans can be cut with regular scissors and the hole can be made with a screwdriver or something. quick to make tho.

cmg
03-24-2013, 11:10 AM
bearings can come from all kinds of sources. most will have the bearing number stamped on the rubber seal. superfly.com have bearings for wheelsets check them out. http://www.superflycycles.com/servlet/-strse-Enduro-Bearings-cln-Ceramic-Grade-5-Wheelkits/Categories