PDA

View Full Version : Velotel's stomping grounds

maxn
03-23-2013, 12:17 PM
First ride of the year with velotel, and this time on his side of the valley. I rode through town to meet him at a funeral home (is it bad luck to start a ride at a funeral home?) and stopped at a bike shop that I had never seen before. It is a warren of old bikes, wheels and parts and is apparently the oldest bike shop in grenoble. The owner has rooms full of bikes (300 or so per room, if I understood correctly). I'll have to get back there to spend some more time looking through them.

Anyway, on to the ride... It was great to ride with velotel again, catch up and put places to the names of the climbs that he does frequently. We did three nice climbs (Hurtieres, Ayes and Barrioz), all under the Belledonne and the 7 Laux resort. Memorable things were: two amazing descents, riding next to the snow banks, almost crashing because there were huge piles of sawdust in the middle of the road, and just enjoying the biggest ride the year (so far) with a buddy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAwbz_tvInQ

BumbleBeeDave
03-23-2013, 12:43 PM
. . . as usual! :eek: :banana:

What's the music?

BBD

FlashUNC
03-23-2013, 12:48 PM
Well, this makes me afternoon loop around the airport just look silly.

kohlboto
03-23-2013, 01:19 PM
Holy crap, that's awesome.
Can we get a dedicated thread for maxn and velotel?

maxn
03-23-2013, 01:31 PM
thanks guys, but where is the hate for velotel? It's like fifteen minutes from his house. I'm beginning to think that I live on the wrong side of the valley.

bbdave: "Northern Lights", Kate Boy

jt2gt
03-23-2013, 03:34 PM
love it....velotel looks old school and pulling away on the decent. what was the temp. What's he carry in the pack thing?

JT

mjb266
03-23-2013, 03:43 PM
Those small narrow roads might seem nice right now, but just you wait until they get cars in your country...

ultraman6970
03-23-2013, 04:01 PM
And i'm stuck in the f.... WoD.... jezzz

regularguy412
03-23-2013, 04:07 PM
WOOT! Great vid. Makes me feel fat.

Thanks for sharing.

Mike in AR:beer:

BumbleBeeDave
03-23-2013, 04:08 PM
love it....velotel looks old school and pulling away on the decent. what was the temp. What's he carry in the pack thing?

JT

My understanding is he carries a full sized SLR with him on rides.

BBD

velotel
03-24-2013, 02:12 AM
What's he carry in the pack thing?

My understanding is he carries a full sized SLR with him on rides.

Often a DSLR in the sack, but not yesterday. I've already got lots of shots from those roads. Shooting pics takes time, didn't want to slow Maxn down more than I already do when I'm pedaling.

The pack is a habit from my mountain biking days. One I'm comfortable with. Got all the essentials: tools, tubes, glue, patches, pump, clothes as needed, food, and emergency medical supplies (special portable expresso machine, houkah, flask of single malt whiskey, the pure essentials for just about any medical emergency).

jt2gt
03-24-2013, 08:17 AM
Often a DSLR in the sack, but not yesterday. I've already got lots of shots from those roads. Shooting pics takes time, didn't want to slow Maxn down more than I already do when I'm pedaling.

The pack is a habit from my mountain biking days. One I'm comfortable with. Got all the essentials: tools, tubes, glue, patches, pump, clothes as needed, food, and emergency medical supplies (special portable expresso machine, houkah, flask of single malt whiskey, the pure essentials for just about any medical emergency).

Cool...it looked like it was pretty loaded down, but yeah, you did look very comfortable rolling around with it on. Great ride. JT

tiretrax
03-24-2013, 12:37 PM
another awesome post.

maxn
03-24-2013, 04:16 PM
you had whiskey and didn't share?!

jt: 51 degrees F average

OtayBW
03-24-2013, 05:14 PM

jt: 51 degrees F average
No need for whiskey at that temp!

pitonpat
03-24-2013, 05:40 PM
Oh, it's another awesome Maxn and/or Velotel ride video... So, what did you guys do so well in your previous lives to deserve that great riding territory?

Thanks for the ever enjoyable ride reports. As a climber (mountains) I'm always looking beyond the road at the snowy alps in the distance, and trying to identify them...lots to see and appreciate in your posts!

velotel
03-25-2013, 02:24 AM
Oh, it's another awesome Maxn and/or Velotel ride video... So, what did you guys do so well in your previous lives to deserve that great riding territory?

Thanks for the ever enjoyable ride reports. As a climber (mountains) I'm always looking beyond the road at the snowy alps in the distance, and trying to identify them...lots to see and appreciate in your posts!
Max is a climber too. Also always looking at the mountains and especially the cliffs. Climbing as I recall is what lured him and his wife to France in the first place.

velotel
03-25-2013, 02:26 AM
You're not old enough! Single malt is for the dignity of old age and creaking bodies. The only creak I heard Saturday from you was from your bike (as usual) and I sure as hell wasn't going to pour any wonderfully good single malt on your bike!

maxn
03-25-2013, 03:08 AM
yes, must get that creaking sorted. However, I am turning 40 this year: I think that might be old enough!

Yes, a climber first (still). I've almost wrecked looking at cliffs several times. As good as the area is for cycling, it is IMO even better for climbing. But I guess that's a Ferrari vs Lamborghini kind of argument.

soulspinner
03-25-2013, 04:20 AM

Gives new meaning to descending with the pack. I get to descend 50 mph with cars in the fingerlakes. :eek:. Great as usual, thanks.

Elefantino
03-25-2013, 05:00 AM
That is beautiful, achingly so.

Makes me think that my upcoming move to California is in the wrong direction.

shovelhd
03-25-2013, 05:43 AM
Outstanding. You are one hell of a descender.