PDA

View Full Version : Any feedback on SRAMs new Red?

vqdriver
03-22-2013, 10:32 PM
No haters necessary here. I'd like to hear some input from sram users who've tried out the new hood shape and how it compares to the older shape.
Thanks

Pete Mckeon
03-23-2013, 06:23 AM
No haters necessary here. I'd like to hear some input from sram users who've tried out the new hood shape and how it compares to the older shape.
Thanks

I like the new ride. Not enough miles on them yet to iform an opinion but they
Are smoother than my 2 year old force groupo which has never let me down.

My personal favorite is still shimano ultegra/duraace and Campy but that is
Probably because I have been riding them for decades. I am old geezer who loves riding:beer::beer:

Fishbike
03-23-2013, 06:30 AM
I am old geezer who loves riding:beer::beer:

The most awesome kind!!!!!!!!!!!!

1centaur
03-23-2013, 07:17 AM
Certainly better than a young geezer.

AngryScientist
03-23-2013, 07:20 AM
of course its a totally personal thing based on your hands and preferences, AND i've never actually used the system, but from putting my hands on the hoods at the lbs, personally i feel the hood shape is a nice improvement over the last generation. better feel for me, for sure.

ptourkin
03-23-2013, 07:58 AM
A big improvement. I demoed for about a week. The front shifting is very good now - it works, it's lighter and much less effort. I've heard that the chaincatcher is just there based on past impressions, I don't think it's needed on the road group. The hoods are excellent. I like the shape better than Shimano. IMO, the area this group lags is the brakes but it could have been the set up.

10-4
03-23-2013, 08:32 AM
Huge improvement in hood shape. Transition to the bars is much smoother, and I really like the slightly higher rise at the front as well.

Rear shifting is still great, I've always liked how smooth it is. Front shifting is much improved, but still lacking IMO. Huge step in the right direction, though. Unfortunately, still not as good as Campy or Shimano front shifting, rear shifting is excellent.

matsfro
03-23-2013, 09:48 AM
Pros: Hood position is very nice, shifting is very smooth, new front der. is amazing. Brake levers are nice and sturdy but do take some getting used to if you have smaller hands.

Cons: Durability of the hoods is lacking. I already have holes in mine after only 5 months of use. The shift paddles seem to go limp after a while. They hang to the inside of the brake lever and it ultimately causes a delay in shifting. The old system seemed much more crisp.

Maybe I just got a bad batch?

oldpotatoe
03-23-2013, 09:50 AM
Pros: Hood position is very nice, shifting is very smooth, new front der. is amazing. Brake levers are nice and sturdy but do take some getting used to if you have smaller hands.

Cons: Durability of the hoods is lacking. I already have holes in mine after only 5 months of use. The shift paddles seem to go limp after a while. They hang to the inside of the brake lever and it ultimately causes a delay in shifting. The old system seemed much more crisp.

Maybe I just got a bad batch?

warranty them and find out.

rice rocket
03-23-2013, 11:32 AM
Rumor is SRAM goes 11 this year. One year after their new group.

krismac23
03-23-2013, 11:49 AM
REd 22, look for it at the classic

Rumor is SRAM goes 11 this year. One year after their new group.