PDA

View Full Version : Commuter bike help

Chuck Hammer
03-22-2013, 12:03 PM
I found myself a very good deal on a 2009 Jamis Commuter 4 - NOS. The unfortunate thing is it's just not working out. I am using it to run around for shopping and close by errands rather than drive. Several issues are I need to go up some hills and the gearing just does not lend itself to hills especially when loaded with groceries. I have these Banjo rear bags that are great to bring into the store and load up. My heels are always hitting them loaded or unloaded. The bike has what I thought to be some very good components... Shimano Alfine 8 speed hub and Alfine Generator front hub with a double crank, lights and rack. The seat has been replaced. Anyway what can I do to improve hill performance (it's either to high or to low no good middle ground) and make it a little snappier. Should I get rid of the rear Alfie hub and go to a conventional setup? Or just get rid of the bike and maybe build / buy something more conventional.
http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/thebikes/street/commuter/09_commuter4.html

oliver1850
03-22-2013, 12:12 PM
Perhaps a different rack, or an extension to the rear of it would allow the bags to be moved farther back. Not sure how they mount to the rack, Jannds have sheet metal J hooks. You might be able to alter the position of the hooks on the bags to move them back a bit.

How about a triple to address the gearing? I could probably come up with something to trade for your current 34/48.

moose8
03-22-2013, 12:26 PM
I added a Paul flatbed to my commuter bike (surly 1x1) about 3 months ago and have loved it for hauling groceries. They are not cheap, but mine was on sale at a local shop for $100 and it has been great - when loaded with a case of beer the handling can be a little dicey, but still manageable. I have preferred it to the rear rack and bags I had on previously.

I find the gearing less than perfect on my alfine 8, but I love it for my commute through the dicey streets of downtown boston - I can spin out pretty easily, but at the same time I like not being to go that fast on it - I have found that I have far fewer near incidents with cars if I am going pretty slow on heavily congested city streets. I know you can switch the rear cog to change the gearing a bit, too, which might be something you could try.