PDA

View Full Version : How Much Does A Large Bag of Dog Food Weigh?

Sandy
11-18-2005, 09:18 AM
I have been taking care of my daughter's dog Darby for about 5 months. He was running out of dog food. So my daughter brings over a large bag of dog food and leaves it on the floor in front of the front door. My wife could not even budge it. I picked it up and thought that it was certainly pretty heavy. The weight given on the bag was 44 pounds.

I related the bag of dog food to cycling. If 44 additional pounds were distributed on my bicycle, it would really be difficult, I thought, to climb hills with all that extra excesssive weight. But simultaneously I thought that I am riding with that bag of dog food, each and every ride. I weigh 225. If I lost 44 pounds, my weight would be 181, which would probably be an ideal cycling weight for me. I would be thin, but undoutedly healthier and my cycling would have to improve a great deal, just as a function of power to weight ratio.

I am often dropped on hills by almost any decent cyclist, male or female.I wondered how well they would do if they had to ride their bike with additional weight added to equal a total weight of 225.

I hope that I have the focus and determination to get to 180 or so sometime during next year's cycling season. It would make cycling a lot more fun and perhaps I could "pay back" some of the cyclists that would only ride with me on their slow days.

So the moral of the story is please have pity on cyclists who are heavy and/or overweight. Think about weighing 25 or 50 or 75 or 100 pounds more. It would be quite difficult, wouldn't it?

William is not included in any of the above. Drop that big guy any time you can, on any hill that you can, if you are able to catch him.

Snail Sandy

Serotta PETE
11-18-2005, 09:24 AM
YOU put this very well about the dog food...I must be carrying a bigger/heavier bad - since you pass me going up every hill. Guess I should let Bailey take the the bagel from me more often.....

Sandy
11-18-2005, 09:29 AM
The cyclist who amazed me the most in the Tour was the one who weighed about 210 pounds, as I recall. For him to compete with the 130-150 pound guys was really amazing. That must be one STRONG dude!

Not So Strong,

Sandy

Too Tall
11-18-2005, 11:56 AM
You are talking about my HERO Maximum Magnus Backstead.

Good analogy Sandy. Am I hearing resolve in your voice? You don't look fat to me....where you hiding it?

William
11-18-2005, 12:07 PM
A little under six of those 44 pound bags of dog food=William :D

44 pound bag ;)

flydhest
11-18-2005, 12:09 PM
Sandy,

As someone who has had their weight as a cyclist vary from 160 (racing in grad school) to 225 (more recently, since you've known me) I can definitely say that 40 pounds of weight is noticeable. However, good consistent training still trumps that difference. Thinking of the regulars with whom we ride around here, there's nobody who can drop me when I'm at 210 that can't also drop me when I'm at 180. Similarly, anyone I can drop at 180, I can also drop at 210. Now, if we were to find a genetic clone of Flydhest and have one at 180 and one at 210, then yes, I am confident the 180 pounder would win an uphill race. If, however, the training were the same, the difference would not be night and day. The 210 pound Flydhest still knows how to draft :)

I think for you, if you get down to 180, it will be because you will have been training consistently. The training will be what helps you realize your goals. The weight will be icing on the cake.

Anybody else out there that has had 30+ swings in weight over the years of being an active cyclist?

Bradford
11-18-2005, 12:23 PM
Anybody else out there that has had 30+ swings in weight over the years of being an active cyclist?

I've been as heavy as 235 and as light as 197 in the past 4 years, usually hovering aroung 210 in the summer and 220 in the winter. I think 30 lbs makes a world of difference.

I'm with Sandy on this one. When I'm under 200 lbs, I can ride with a whole different group of riders, when I'm at 210 I'm a little below average, and now that I'm up to my winter weight, I just flat out suck.

Big Bad Bloated Bradford

zap
11-18-2005, 12:39 PM
snipped

Hitting the weight room hard during winter months will do that. Plus burning a few less calories during those dark days. One winter I went from 156 to 185 (close :rolleyes: ), back down to 156 by mid summer. At 185 ish, I felt super strong on short steep climbs but sucked on longer ones.

Can't do that anymore. Toooooooo hard to lose weight these days.

Sandy
11-18-2005, 01:18 PM
In graduate schools, many moons ago, I weighed 280! I decided to lose weight. I went on a strict diet for one year, eating 2 meals a day and absolutely nothing between meals. I lost 100 pounds. I got to 180 pounds (actually 176 for a short time). I looked thin, but felt absolutely great.

Sandy

Sandy
11-18-2005, 01:30 PM
Sandy,

As someone who has had their weight as a cyclist vary from 160 (racing in grad school) to 225 (more recently, since you've known me) I can definitely say that 40 pounds of weight is noticeable. However, good consistent training still trumps that difference. Thinking of the regulars with whom we ride around here, there's nobody who can drop me when I'm at 210 that can't also drop me when I'm at 180. Similarly, anyone I can drop at 180, I can also drop at 210. Now, if we were to find a genetic clone of Flydhest and have one at 180 and one at 210, then yes, I am confident the 180 pounder would win an uphill race. If, however, the training were the same, the difference would not be night and day. The 210 pound Flydhest still knows how to draft :)

I think for you, if you get down to 180, it will be because you will have been training consistently. The training will be what helps you realize your goals. The weight will be icing on the cake.

A genetic clone of Flydhest is a scarey thought. One would say the interest rates will go up. One would say that interest rates will go down. Both would probably be wrong. :)

I may be placing too much emphasis on weight. I know that pedal stroke, fitness, technique, focus,..., are all very important. But I think that weight is more important than you might think.

S A N D Y

DRZRM
11-18-2005, 01:34 PM
I'm 221 now (6'3") and I've been as high as 238 and as low as 198 in recent memory (though it took my getting the mumps and not eating for a week to break the 200 barrier). In both running and climbing, it really makes a world of difference, but of course that is tied into the fact that (except for the one time with the mumps) I'm always fittest when I am lightest.

Zach

Sandy
11-18-2005, 01:38 PM
Your comment about fitness makes a lot of sense.

Senseless Sandy

Ken Robb
11-18-2005, 02:27 PM
I went from 220 to 200 last year and it made all of my bikes much better climbers. I still suck, but not as bad.

flydhest
11-18-2005, 02:39 PM
But I think that weight is more important than you might think.

S A N D Y

Sandy,

I have first hand evidence of how important weight is for me in cycling. In my case, Zap will beat me on a climb if I weigh 180 or if I weight 210. My buddy Mark whom you've ridden with once or twice laughed at me (rightly) for being the Michelin Man (Smiley's words) when I had packed on a bunch of weight, but I don't think he's ever going to beat me up Macarthur Boulevard hill.

After disentangling the effects of weight and fitness, it is clear that weight matters, but 40 pounds does not change where I stand in the pack of riders that you and I ride with.

OldDog
11-18-2005, 02:51 PM
Been skinny, been fat, been skinny again. Now fat (20+)

Cycling (for me anyway) is about: #1 being fit and healthy, #2 having fun with family and friends, #3 digging cool bikes.

There's no sense in being a bike nut if you cannot enjoy them with family and friends. That enjoyment comes from being healthy enough to ride with them. At 20, 30 or more pounds over weight you cannot keep up with those family and friends, unless your all fat and out of shape. In this sport thats not usually the case.

I WILL be in "riding shape" again by spring if it kills me. If not you all may well see a bunch of fine bikes in the classifieds.

FatOldDog

Ken Robb
11-18-2005, 02:54 PM
"bunch of fine bikes in the classifieds". hmmmmmmmm, can I buy you a pizza? :beer:

Dekonick
11-18-2005, 03:15 PM
Sandy,

Oh yeah - Me!

I range from 180 to 200 normally - but when my wife and I got pregnant (she did the hard part but I gained the weight :p ) I jumped to 215. Thats where I have been since little Greg came into my life (worth every lb!) and let me tell you - there is a huge difference from my healthy 185-190 compared to now.

Now - before yall judge too harshly it has to do with the time...can't ride as much but my appetite didn't change. Now, even with the 100 +/- miles a week the weight doesn't want to come off...guess I should eat less. The old days of 3+ hour rides are gone for me.

jdoiv
11-18-2005, 04:03 PM
I'm a skinny little f..k,
Only weigh 150 or so, but I had a guy pass me on a hill this summer that was 250#+. Not a clydesdale mind you, just a really big guy. He kicked my @ss. Size and weight don't matter so much as fitness. I'm not fit, he was. Dude could ride and I sucked wind. Losing weight would be great, but if you don't have the power, it don't mean shiet! Keep turnin' those pedals and don't worry about anything else...

Cheers Bro :beer:

dirtdigger88
11-18-2005, 04:15 PM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=55781&postcount=21

I made this post on 11-30-04 - to prove to csb (what happen to that dude?) that I weighed 200lbs

This morning I was 179-

I didnt really diet to loose weight so much as i stoped trying to keep the extra weight on - I quit my "weight gain" shakes that I had been using in the past and let my weight drop to a more natural state based on my riding-

I feel stronger (when I am riding more than I am now which is almost 0) on climbs at my lower weight- but I have noticed that I dont have as many people drafting me as I use to -

Jason

Ozz
11-18-2005, 04:55 PM
...The old days of 3+ hour rides are gone for me.
ain't that the truth! Wait till you have two! See "mug shot" thread for evidence of empathy...

Tip: Get a good light...I ride at 5:00 AM so I'm back before the family gets up.

Sorry Sandy, my dog food comes in 5 lb bags.... :D

Sandy
11-18-2005, 05:13 PM
ain't that the truth! Wait till you have two! See "mug shot" thread for evidence of empathy...

Tip: Get a good light...I ride at 5:00 AM so I'm back before the family gets up.

Sorry Sandy, my dog food comes in 5 lb bags.... :D

Looks like your dogs come in 5 pound packages too! Japanese Chins???? :)

Cute!.... The dogs, not you. :D

American Sandy

Sandy
11-18-2005, 05:22 PM
PS- Teach those dogs to keep their tongues straight. :)

Straight Sandy

Ozz
11-18-2005, 05:31 PM
Looks like your dogs come in 5 pound packages too! Japanese Chin's???? :)

Cute!.... The dogs, not you. :D

American Sandy
yes, Japanese Chin...4 lbs and 6 lbs. Breed standard is about 7 lbs, with smaller being more desireable. Wonderful dogs....companions only, they won't fetch your slippers or scare away intruders, but will always be in your lap when you are sitting.

Photo was taken last summer. We've had them since 1995. Older one (Kelsey, on right) was just diagnosed with a heart murmer...dealing with doggy cardiologist now. Wait and see seems to be the "treatment"...

The tongue on Lalique (on left) does not fit in her mouth...it's always hanging out.

Old dogs, no new tricks for them.

tch
11-18-2005, 05:34 PM
Wow! You guys astonish/amaze/scare me! I grew up the fat little (or big) kid and have always thought of myself as fat. I was 185 and 5'4" at one point. I grew up, lost some and have stayed between 158 (my real-world lowest) and 175 for the last 30 years. I always think of myself as fat even now, at 50 and 5'8"/165, and I always worry about what I'm eating. I find it really hard to lose weight, so the idea of going up and down like 30 pounds scares the bejesus out of me. I obsess about 5 pounds. How do you guys do it? If I gained 25-30 pounds, I'd freak, positive I'd never get it off!

Ken Robb
11-18-2005, 05:47 PM
tight genes

Sandy
11-18-2005, 06:36 PM
Nope. Bad genes!

Sandy

flydhest
11-20-2005, 10:44 PM
Wow! You guys astonish/amaze/scare me! I grew up the fat little (or big) kid and have always thought of myself as fat. I was 185 and 5'4" at one point. I grew up, lost some and have stayed between 158 (my real-world lowest) and 175 for the last 30 years. I always think of myself as fat even now, at 50 and 5'8"/165, and I always worry about what I'm eating. I find it really hard to lose weight, so the idea of going up and down like 30 pounds scares the bejesus out of me. I obsess about 5 pounds. How do you guys do it? If I gained 25-30 pounds, I'd freak, positive I'd never get it off!

part of it is being 6'2" The same number of pounds doesn't mean the same thing. That said, I like food . . . a lot. When stress hits, I often end up eating more and riding less. A bad combo. Worse still, I end up eating fewer, but larger meals. I find that when I finally get disgusted with myself, what I have to do is get back to riding 6 days a week and eating 5 meals a day, but with a bit less caloric intake. I try to calibrate my baseline metabolic rate and go for a daily deficiency of just over 500 calories. My logic (which lots of the reading I've done seems to corroborate) is that caloric deficiencies or surpluses only affect weight linearly in a very narrow neighborhood around your steady state. Since a pound of fat has about 3500 calories in it, I figure a moderate deficiency of 500/day is a pound a week. 3 months and you're looking at around 15 pounds, half a year and I can and have dropped 30. It takes a bit of discipline, to be sure, but after the first 5 drop, I get reinvigorated. One has to be slow about it, or else, in my experience, I get a drop of energy and serious food cravings which drive me over the edge.

keno
11-21-2005, 07:30 AM
http://www.davidmichaelanthony.com/

BTW, what is your view on the provision of handicapped driver license plates or stickers to obese drivers?

keno

manet
11-21-2005, 08:42 AM
http://www.davidmichaelanthony.com/

BTW, what is your view on the provision of handicapped driver license plates or stickers to obese drivers?

keno

fat driver?

http://www.boscovs.com/wcsstore/boscovs/images/store/product/images/221368192d8608.jpg

Too Tall
11-21-2005, 08:52 AM
reasonable accomodation

fiamme red
11-21-2005, 09:45 AM
I made this post on 11-30-04 - to prove to csb (what happen to that dude?) that I weighed 200lbscsb is still posting, under another name. In fact, he's right here in this thread.

manet
11-21-2005, 10:01 AM
[URL]
I made this post on 11-30-04 - to prove to csb (what happen to that dude?) that I weighed 200lbs
Jason

i just carry my weight a tad better than dirt!

shinomaster
11-26-2005, 11:16 PM
Sandy...I bet If all you ate was dog food you would loose about 44lbs.