PDA

View Full Version : Talk to me about stiffening up a flexy steerer tube

FastforaSlowGuy
03-21-2013, 08:35 AM
Does choice of expander plug matter? What's in there now is quite large, which the shop that sold/built the bike originally would help stiffen and strengthen the steerer tube. It's not a noodle, but when I hold the wheel and twist the bars side-to-side, it certainly flexes. I'm confident it is NOT the bar/stem setup.

Any other means of stiffening the steerer tube that does not involve buying a stiffer fork?

FWIW, the bike is a Museeuw MC-2, and I have heard that Look makes their forks.

Grant McLean
03-21-2013, 08:47 AM
Sprinkle some of this magic stuff on, it should work or your money back.

http://www.sensa.com/how-to-use-sensa.htm

ergott
03-21-2013, 08:51 AM
How do you ride a bike and hold the front wheel at the same time? :no:

ultraman6970
03-21-2013, 09:00 AM
Probably is not the steering tube but the frame front tube.

Another detail. no matter in what bike you do that "hold the wheel and twist the bars side-to-side" the thing will look like moving. I wouldn't worry about it unless it happens while riding, the bikes are not designed to "hold the wheel and twist the bars side-to-side" because you dont do that in a bike white riding :D

cmbicycles
03-21-2013, 09:04 AM
I am not a frame builder, but i did stay at a holiday inn express...;) I would doubt that the flex you feel/see is the steerer tube in and of itself, and if it is do not ride the fork because something is wrong with it. My guess would be the fork blades twisting or a low tension wheel would be more likely to be the culprit.
How does the bike ride? Fork blades on road bikes flex, it is part of their dampning characteristics by design. I can hold any wheel (road or mountain... Though ime headshock and canondale pepperoni forks flex the least) between my legs and feel some twist, just the nature of the fork design and wheel rigidity.

Tony T
03-21-2013, 09:07 AM
Any other means of stiffening the steerer tube that does not involve buying a stiffer fork?

Carbon? Look for hairline cracks. (I would get a new fork)

rice rocket
03-21-2013, 09:09 AM
Fill it with a structural foam.

This stuff is cheap, and it works:

http://www.uscomposites.com/foam.html

But yeah, I'm not sure this is your solution to a flexing front end. It will make your steerer really stiff though...

Edit: oh wait, you're looking to increase the torsional stiffness? I have no clue there...

cmg
03-21-2013, 09:57 AM
go to a stiffer fork and a stiffer headset

bicycletricycle
03-21-2013, 09:59 AM
machine a wooden dowel to fit tightly inside and then epoxy it in.

sounds crazy but it is not.

saab2000
03-21-2013, 10:03 AM
Use one of these from Specialized.

http://s7d5.scene7.com/is/image/Specialized/20551?$Hero$

Use a forged (not CNC machined) stem and remove your spacers to lower the stem against the bearing top cover.

I will pretty much guarantee you will feel a more solid front on the bike.

garbage expanders, wimpy stems and lots of spacers will reduce stiffness.