PDA

View Full Version : Paris Roubaix

jpw
03-21-2013, 08:34 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyX3wdSiTrE

When men were hard, and bikes were real.

I hope it's a wet one this year.

redir
03-21-2013, 08:42 AM
Love that old footage.

jbal3242
03-21-2013, 01:41 PM
Here's the victory Gios from that race

http://www.cycleexif.com/roger-de-vlaemincks-gios

David Kirk
03-21-2013, 01:49 PM
It is by far my favorite event of the season........can't wait.

Dave

MattTuck
03-21-2013, 02:28 PM
Starting last year, and continuing this year, I will be making crepes for breakfast while watching Paris Roubaix.

Don't short change yourself though, we've still got racing to watch before Paris Roubaix.

E3 Harelbeke tomorrow
Gent Wevelgem Sunday
Tour of Flanders NEXT Sunday
then paris roubaix

I'm psyched though...

I might have to find one of these shirts.
Real star of Roubaix (http://redkiteprayer.com/2011/03/the-roubaix-t-shirt/)

MattTuck
03-21-2013, 02:38 PM
As an aside, I wish the US could put on a UCI WorldTour level 1 day classics type race. There are so many great places in this country that could serve as a great back drop for a 1 day race. I would love to be on the planning committee for such an event.

Instead, we get lots of mid-tier stage races like ToC and USPro Cycling Challenge, etc.

Yes, I'm aware the World Championships are coming. That's just a one time thing though, I just want more. The ironic thing is that I'd probably have to watch coverage via Eurosport streaming. doh!

FlashUNC
03-21-2013, 02:47 PM
As an aside, I wish the US could put on a UCI WorldTour level 1 day classics type race. There are so many great places in this country that could serve as a great back drop for a 1 day race. I would love to be on the planning committee for such an event.

Instead, we get lots of mid-tier stage races like ToC and USPro Cycling Challenge, etc.

Yes, I'm aware the World Championships are coming. That's just a one time thing though, I just want more. The ironic thing is that I'd probably have to watch coverage via Eurosport streaming. doh!

I think the issue is travel more than anything else. The mid-tier races we have now slot in as alternatives for those not doing the Giro. A one-day race in a classics calendar where folks are racing twice a week, in some cases, would make the logistics of getting the riders to the States pretty tough.

If anything, the World's may build support for that, depending on the course and the turnout. I know I'll be there.

alessandro
03-21-2013, 08:19 PM
[url]I hope it's a wet one this year.

I do too! Even if les coureurs probably prefer dry. The last time it rained was 2002.

It'll be on the NBC Sports Network at 8:00 a.m. Eastern (if their website is to be believed), unless you prefer Sean Kelly's languid cadences on Eurosport.

thwart
03-21-2013, 08:35 PM
If ya get a chance, watch 'Road to Roubaix', movie that came out 4 or 5 years ago... not a great movie by any means, but it will definitely get your juices flowing in anticipation of P-R.

Trailer: http://www.masterlinkfilms.com/

MattTuck
03-21-2013, 08:49 PM
If ya get a chance, watch 'Road to Roubaix', movie that came out 4 or 5 years ago... not a great movie by any means, but it will definitely get your juices flowing in anticipation of P-R.

From that video, best quote ever from Big George: "Hardest one day race on the calendar, I kind of feel the same after doing the tour de france, 3 weeks on the bike, I feel the same after 1 day paris roubaix."

Edit:

here's some more videos if you want to get in the mood

http://www.rapha.cc/hors-course?locale=US
http://road.cc/content/news/56350-paris-roubaix-film-selection-videos-help-whet-your-appetite-2012-race-videos
http://fixiefamous.com/2012/04/26/paris-roubaix-full-movie/

and finally, probably my personal favorite.... a Ridley Scott production
http://www.rapha.cc/a-throw-of-the-dice

alessandro
03-21-2013, 09:26 PM

On the same page as the video, check out the gallery--some very cool photos of P-R history. And for more on the showers, check out the always informative Inner Ring: http://inrng.com/2012/04/roubaix-velodrome-showers/

SpokeValley
03-21-2013, 09:52 PM

http://www.cycleexif.com/roger-de-vlaemincks-gios

+1 Thanks for the link!

MattTuck
04-02-2013, 10:14 AM
Well, Cancellara is the odds on favorite to win.

I think he was probably favored in 2011 as well, and wasn't able to win because some other teams rode a smart/lucky race.

Will BMC finally come through? Phinney skipped Flanders to 'rest' his knee... not sure if that is legit or a feign to make him appear less of a threat.

Will it come down to a sprint in the velodrome for victory?

Weather looks to be dry.

christian
04-02-2013, 10:18 AM
Will it come down to a sprint in the velodrome for victory?No, if Fabian looks like he did this weekend, this one will be over by Carrefour de l'Arbre.

FlashUNC
04-02-2013, 10:21 AM
I'd love to see Taylor Phinney break through, but this might be Cancellara's year again.

firerescuefin
04-02-2013, 10:29 AM
RadioShack thought they were working at Flanders?....there will be so many attempts to get a legitimate break up the road by everyone but RS...good luck with trying to manage that...while still protecting FC on any level. That being said...FCs to lose...but it will be interesting.:cool:

jpw
04-02-2013, 10:30 AM
Well, this Sunday there's no Boonen, Balan, or Sagan, and Pozzatto and Hushovd look short of the form required to challenge.

RLT looked quite strong at Flanders, although it was interesting to hear Cancellara say in his post race interview where he admitted to having suffered on the asphalt bergs. He'll be hard to beat, but a lot of teams and riders will fancy their chances of a podium with most of the usual suspects being either absent or short. I can't see FB being troubled at the thought of towing any of them on Sunday, certainly not in the way he had to in 2011 (Balan and Hushovd).

MattTuck
04-02-2013, 10:34 AM
RadioShack thought they were working at Flanders?....there will be so many attempts to get a legitimate break up the road by everyone but RS...good luck with trying to manage that...while still protecting FC on any level. That being said...FCs to lose...but it will be interesting.:cool:

Yeah, I tend to agree with this. Sagan was considered a favorite along with FC in Flanders... so RS wasn't totally alone in wanting to control the race.

With Sagan gone, RS will have their hands full.

azrider
04-02-2013, 10:35 AM
How they "race" over these I will never understand.........

rwsaunders
04-02-2013, 10:44 AM
When we built our home a few years back, I added a few "Belgium block" at the beginning of the driveway for a little old world effect. Every time I head out on or back from a ride, I try to imagine what riding at race pace must be like on those pave.

firerescuefin
04-02-2013, 10:54 AM
When we built our home a few years back, I added a few "Belgium block" at the beginning of the driveway for a little old world effect. Every time I head out on or back from a ride, I try to imagine what riding at race pace must be like on those pave.

That is cool:cool:

jpw
04-02-2013, 10:59 AM
Yeah, I tend to agree with this. Sagan was considered a favorite along with FC in Flanders... so RS wasn't totally alone in wanting to control the race.

With Sagan gone, RS will have their hands full.

Lampre and BMC will pull.

firerescuefin
04-02-2013, 11:15 AM
Lampre and BMC will pull.

Why would they?....send some strong riders up in the break. Mark FC and RS in the field..let RS burn up all their matches at the front sooner than later. Try to win from the break...or make FC work harder earlier than he wants and attack/counter attack him...ie Garmin a couple of years ago.

split
04-02-2013, 11:21 AM
What are the options for streaming this year's race?

azrider
04-02-2013, 11:27 AM

steephill always works for me

GregL
04-02-2013, 11:31 AM
Live coverage on NBC Sports:

http://www.nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/50797969/ns/sports-cycling/

Elefantino
04-02-2013, 11:31 AM
Cycling Fans (http://cyclingfans.com/)

Steephill (http://www.steephill.tv/)

Procycling Live (http://www.procyclinglive.com/livestream/)

and, afterward, Cycling Torrrents (http://cyclingtorrents.nl/) for HD replays.

MattTuck
04-02-2013, 11:32 AM

I think NBC Sports will be showing it live, though commercials will likely interrupt the really good racing...

Eurosport has me spoiled in terms of commercials.

http://areyouwatchingthis.com/tv/programs/EP000005653184-Cycling-Paris-Roubaix/75317840

Elefantino
04-02-2013, 11:35 AM
Eurosport has me spoiled in terms of commercials.
True that. It also has me spoiled in terms of David Harmon and Sean Kelly. A few years now of listening to those two and I'll never go back to those other guys.

jpw
04-02-2013, 11:43 AM
Why would they?....send some strong riders up in the break. Mark FC and RS in the field..let RS burn up all their matches at the front sooner than later. Try to win from the break...or make FC work harder earlier than he wants and attack/counter attack him...ie Garmin a couple of years ago.

Pozzatto and Phinney

firerescuefin
04-02-2013, 11:44 AM
True that. It also has me spoiled in terms of David Harmon and Sean Kelly. A few years now of listening to those two and I'll never go back to those other guys.

Agreed...the Armstrong Fan Club....I mean Paul, Phil, and Bob...have grown tired...for me. Good if your brand new...if you've been around a little...bring very little to the broadcast IMO.

firerescuefin
04-02-2013, 11:47 AM
Pozzatto and Phinney

Hence sending other guys up the road..Pozzato/Phinney and friends mark/take their repeated shots at FC. If Lampre and BMC help RS with tempo at the front...theyre playing into their RSs hands. Those guys aren't beating FC on a neutral field. Can you explain how you'd see it play out with your strategy?

shovelhd
04-02-2013, 12:00 PM

I raced one much like that in the 80's, minus the name and the engine. My favorite factory bike, by far. When I retire I will find one and rebuild it.

shovelhd
04-02-2013, 12:02 PM
As an aside, I wish the US could put on a UCI WorldTour level 1 day classics type race.

Battenkill for quite a few years was a UCI race. Not Pro Tour level, but plenty of international UCI pros came over.

MattTuck
04-02-2013, 12:04 PM
Hence sending other guys up the road..Pozzato/Phinney and friends mark/take their repeated shots at FC. If Lampre and BMC help RS with tempo at the front...you're playing into their hands. Those guys aren't beating FC on a neutral field. Can you explain how you'd see it play out with your strategy?

Geoff,

stripping away all the higher order thinking of strategy, there's something to be said for having your strongest rider at the front of the race as close to the finish line as possible.

I'm not sure if that provides you with your best shot to win, but it was my big criticism of Garmin in 2011. Van Summeren was good, but out of a group of 10 riders, I didn't think the probability of success was as high as if Thor went man against man with FC. There's always the possibility of a puncture or a crash or FC bonks, etc. So, for me, Garmin took a low percentage shot by not letting Thor work with FC, and it happened to pay off because van Summeren ended up winning. (I'm not privy to the details inside Garmin, but maybe they knew he was the strongest out of that front group... to me, it seemed like a low percentage shot)

Fast forward to this year, I can see why teams would be unwilling to help RS because they would rather lose the race than be beat by FC. But if you take my strategy from above, I would not be surprised to see other teams doing some work to keep the race contained so that the team's best rider is atleast in position to contend the win against FC.

Every race plays out differently and it is hard to say for certain what will happen with the random luck (or lack thereof) of Paris Roubaix. But given the choice of having a mid-tier rider in a breakaway with a 1 in 10 chance of winning vs. pulling the breakaway back to give your team captain a 1 in 6 chance of winning, there seems like a lot of grey area. (no clear right answer)

That said, I'm not expecting any teams to do any favors for RS. They'll do the bare minimum I suspect.

jpw
04-02-2013, 12:09 PM
Hence sending other guys up the road..Pozzato/Phinney and friends mark/take their repeated shots at FC. If Lampre and BMC help RS with tempo at the front...theyre playing into their RSs hands. Those guys aren't beating FC on a neutral field. Can you explain how you'd see it play out with your strategy?

Wait and see.

gavingould
04-02-2013, 01:08 PM
hoping that Phinney and Hushovd can put in a good showing, but i've got a hard time looking past Fabian here. there's certainly no question mark about his form, but anything can happen - look at his season last year, and Boonen's this year.

firerescuefin
04-02-2013, 01:17 PM
Geoff,

stripping away all the higher order thinking of strategy, there's something to be said for having your strongest rider at the front of the race as close to the finish line as possible.

I'm not sure if that provides you with your best shot to win, but it was my big criticism of Garmin in 2011. Van Summeren was good, but out of a group of 10 riders, I didn't think the probability of success was as high as if Thor went man against man with FC. There's always the possibility of a puncture or a crash or FC bonks, etc. So, for me, Garmin took a low percentage shot by not letting Thor work with FC, and it happened to pay off because van Summeren ended up winning. (I'm not privy to the details inside Garmin, but maybe they knew he was the strongest out of that front group... to me, it seemed like a low percentage shot)

Fast forward to this year, I can see why teams would be unwilling to help RS because they would rather lose the race than be beat by FC. But if you take my strategy from above, I would not be surprised to see other teams doing some work to keep the race contained so that the team's best rider is atleast in position to contend the win against FC.

Every race plays out differently and it is hard to say for certain what will happen with the random luck (or lack thereof) of Paris Roubaix. But given the choice of having a mid-tier rider in a breakaway with a 1 in 10 chance of winning vs. pulling the breakaway back to give your team captain a 1 in 6 chance of winning, there seems like a lot of grey area. (no clear right answer)

That said, I'm not expecting any teams to do any favors for RS. They'll do the bare minimum I suspect.

Vaughters looked like a fools at Flanders that year. Nobody could have predicted JVS was going to take the win. If you remember Thor was close to the measure of FC in the race and was marking him and making him do all the work. FC could have closed the gap to JVS IMO, but Thor would have walked to the win. I appreciated that Vaughters didn't just say...let's put our eggs in the "hope FC has a mechanical or off day, and we'll keep Thor close to the front".....they put FC in an almost untenable position. If someone kicks your @ss and the next week you bring back the same strategy, hoping that their breakfast doesn't agree with them, the loss is on you. I imagine that the DSs that viewed Flanders last week got a pretty clear picture of what Roubaix will look like if they don't change the game. I am not saying the result won't be the same, but at least cause Radioshack and FC some heartburn and make them work for everything.

MattTuck
04-02-2013, 01:33 PM
Vaughters looked like a fools at Flanders that year.

Because of his sideburns? :banana:

Yeah, I honestly don't think that we disagree on it. I guess my point was that if JvS had not won, and someone else from that front group did, would JV still have looked smart by not putting Thor in a position to contend...

Kebuchan24
04-02-2013, 01:49 PM
How can someone possibly feel like they are a real cyclist after they watch these videos? These men were the definition of work and skill. Thanks for the viewing opportunity!

EDS
04-02-2013, 02:07 PM
Geoff,

I will point out what is probably obvious to you and others, that P-R is a race of attrition and team support is never a guarantee as the race moves further along, so having a strong-rider in the break (e.g. JVS, Stuart O'Grady, etc.) is always a good move.

In 2006, for example, defending champ Boonen had a strong team for support but was nevertheless isolated after Arenberg, so no help with bringing back Cancellara when he flew the coupe for his first win.

torquer
04-02-2013, 02:29 PM
As an aside, I wish the US could put on a UCI WorldTour level 1 day classics type race.
Matt, you've got two WorldTour races just north of you come September: Quebec City and Montreal. Circuit races, so much more spectator-friendly than the point-to-point European classics (or tour daily stages, for that matter.) Maybe that's why the worlds are always circuit races, too.
We've been to one or both races the past three years, and plan on going again this year. First-rate organization, and always great racing action.

Gummee
04-02-2013, 02:48 PM
hoping that Phinney and Hushovd can put in a good showing, but i've got a hard time looking past Fabian here. there's certainly no question mark about his form, but anything can happen - look at his season last year, and Boonen's this year.
FC is a 1-trick pony. Its a heck of a trick, but he's only got that one trick.

He was successfully marked out of contention ?last year? ?year before? by a combine of other teams making him ride. Take away the ability for him to TT off the front and he's mortal.

I can see this being Phinney's year 'cause he's still young enough that they'll think he's going to blow. Thor's going to have TP in a break and won't be able to work to chase him down ala Roelandts last Sunday

We'll just have to see on Sunday, huh?

M

MattTuck
04-02-2013, 04:18 PM
Matt, you've got two WorldTour races just north of you come September: Quebec City and Montreal. Circuit races, so much more spectator-friendly than the point-to-point European classics (or tour daily stages, for that matter.) Maybe that's why the worlds are always circuit races, too.
We've been to one or both races the past three years, and plan on going again this year. First-rate organization, and always great racing action.

No doubt about that. I think I was bemoaning the lack of a race that really has some iconic imagery associated with it.

There are such great iconic cycling locations in Europe. cote de le redoute, poggio, ghissalo, arenberg or any of the pave, the cobbled bergs of Flanders, the mountains, Alpe D'huez, ventoux, etc. These are great partly because they're woven into cycling history, but it's not as if you would go and ride them and think, "oh, what's the big deal?"... they stand on their own as worthy challenges.

I guess the wall in Philly would be the closest we get.... maybe the seemingly perennial climb up Bonny Doon in the AToC....

I just know America is so vast, with so many great roads and locations, that it feels like we should be able to put something together that would really be impressive. Maybe impressive enough, if we could keep a race going for a little while, that it would rival the notoriety of a sector of pave, col, or a berg.

Just off the top of my head, I think Acadia National Park could do it.... optionally, you could include some carriage roads and you've got something like Strade Bianche.

I'm sure we could come up with others.

christian
04-02-2013, 05:12 PM
the cobbled bergs of FlandersThese are only "iconic" to you because you associate them with cycling. In layman's terms, that's flat farmland with a couple of real steep hills, on crappy old roads.

You're basically suggesting we should make a 260km classic based in Easton, PA.

I've been to Easton, PA.

I'd rather go to QC!

(BTW, location is not what you need; what you need is a committed organizer team, 10,000 hotel rooms, and a local title sponsor.)

jpw
04-03-2013, 04:29 AM
These are only "iconic" to you because you associate them with cycling. In layman's terms, that's flat farmland with a couple of real steep hills, on crappy old roads.

You're basically suggesting we should make a 260km classic based in Easton, PA.

I've been to Easton, PA.

I'd rather go to QC!

(BTW, location is not what you need; what you need is a committed organizer team, 10,000 hotel rooms, and a local title sponsor.)

and.... culture.

Lionel
04-03-2013, 05:21 AM
How they "race" over these I will never understand.........

It hurts like hell (can you tell :)) but makes fantastic memories....

http://i1068.photobucket.com/albums/u459/Lionel_B/PRArenbergbig.jpg

Formulasaab
04-03-2013, 07:58 AM
No doubt about that. I think I was bemoaning the lack of a race that really has some iconic imagery associated with it.

<snip>

I guess the wall in Philly would be the closest we get.... maybe the seemingly perennial climb up Bonny Doon in the AToC....

<snip>

I'm sure we could come up with others.

I was thinking the same thing about the Manayunk Wall. That's a good one.

I don't know how many remember the imagery from the stages of the Tour de Trump and Tour Du Pont?

Wilmington, DE (30 min from Philly) is my hometown so that race holds a special place in my memory. I remember cutting class to go into town to watch the prologue and stages that finished there. Somewhere, I still have a piece of carbon from the aero-front wheel that shredded as a rider crashed on the Monkey Hill cobbles right in front of me. I actually caught it mid-air (yay reflexes).

jpw
04-03-2013, 01:46 PM
Cancellara crashed today at Schelde. He got up and finished. To be assessed in the morning by the team doctor.

MattTuck
04-03-2013, 01:52 PM
Cancellara crashed today at Schelde. He got up and finished. To be assessed in the morning by the team doctor.

You have to question the wisdom of racing in these midweek events for the very top guys. What benefit do they gain? Risk seems too high.

jpw
04-05-2013, 12:54 PM
Your 1,2,3 for Sunday please ladies and gentlemen. I'll start.

Kristoff
Cancellara
Pozzatto

firerescuefin
04-05-2013, 01:16 PM
Cancellara, Phinney, Chavanel

MattTuck
04-05-2013, 01:36 PM
Do you have an official startlist?

My emotional favorites have to be Phinney or Iljo Keisse

as for a pick of what I think will happen, I'll throw out

Phinney