PDA

View Full Version : thoughts on heavy training and appropriate recovery/healing massage

wallymann
03-21-2013, 07:31 AM
so i'm in the middle of a heavy load of training (for me). starting to get some accumulated muscle damage -- my taper starts this weekend -- and in the meantime i've been getting some massage.

my massage therapist is great when i'm doing weight work in the gym, she's good at working out kinks/knots with very high levels of pressure applied in very targeted ways.

but now i'm almost thinking a different kind of massage is appropriate for post-ride recovery, as that really high pressure and super targeted isnt really comfortable and it almost seems counter productive for my goal of maximizing recovery/healing/relaxation.

with the cycling load, i dont really have "knots" in my muscles but i do have large areas that are quite stiff -- it feels different to knotted-up muscles, but the muscles are still quite firm to the touch. maybe some sort of muscular self-protection mechanism is coming into play due to accumulated training stress? or maybe muscles just get more tight as you get in better shape? i dunno...

looking for guidance on what i might tell the masseuse, instead of trying to invent it on my own.

Joachim
03-21-2013, 08:15 AM
Look around for Active Release therapy. I found that works better than just massage and takes care of potential scar tissue build up around muscles. Yes, indeed I've found that different types of massage are needed after heavy training loads. My old soigneur used different massage techniques depending on our training and racing load years ago in Belgium.

Grant McLean
03-21-2013, 08:32 AM
Massage feels good, but there actually isn't a lot of science showing it benefits training.

Google scholar has a lot of articles that suggest the type of massage doesn't
mean much. It's definitely is a voodoo topic, which dubious traditions have ruled.

http://journals.lww.com/cjsportsmed/Abstract/2008/09000/Effectiveness_of_Sports_Massage_for_Recovery_of.13 .aspx

-g

jh_on_the_cape
03-21-2013, 08:48 AM
Have you asked about the 'Happy Ending' option?

Seriously though, try a hot tub. Works wonders for me. I actually stretch in the tub.

MattTuck
03-21-2013, 08:52 AM
Have you tried telling your massage therapist exactly what you just told us? I'd think if they understand your concerns/issues, they would modify their technique.

redir
03-21-2013, 08:57 AM
Yeah I second the hot tub. But it's got to be real real hot like 106deg F or higher if you can tolerate it. Does wonders.

BTW I find The Stick and the foam roller to really work well. There is something to be said about self message, you know where to hit and how much pressure etc...

svelocity
03-21-2013, 09:30 AM
BTW I find The Stick and the foam roller to really work well. There is something to be said about self message, you know where to hit and how much pressure etc...

+1 on the Stick and a foam roller...

HenryA
03-21-2013, 11:24 AM
My favorite used to be alternating hot tub and cold swimming pool or ice. If you're really beat down sometimes its hard to beat a 2-3 day break with gentle activity.

Likes2ridefar
03-21-2013, 11:29 AM
+1 on the Stick and a foam roller...

Yep, both of these are the ticket to happy muscles. Lots of illustrations online to help learn various movements, but a full body massage is quite possible with just the foam roller.

I think the foam roller is one of the best things I ever bought. Mines about 3-4' long and white colored high density foam.

bcm119
03-21-2013, 12:06 PM
Find someone who practices Active Release therapy, and the Graston technique. Both can release overused muscles that become chronically tight. I have issues with my outer quads and hips, which tighten up and cause knee tracking problems. ART and Graston have been way more effective than massage for me. The link Grant posted is good; massage is better for general relaxation than a training aid, imo.

Likes2ridefar
03-21-2013, 12:07 PM
massage is better for general relaxation than a training aid, imo.

disagree! massage greatly aids in recovery, and, for example, can significantly reduce issues that crop up during the middle of a stage race.

redir
03-21-2013, 12:08 PM
Yep, both of these are the ticket to happy muscles. Lots of illustrations online to help learn various movements, but a full body massage is quite possible with just the foam roller.

I think the foam roller is one of the best things I ever bought. Mines about 3-4' long and white colored high density foam.

The foam roller on my IT band makes me want to cry and it's worth every tear.

Likes2ridefar
03-21-2013, 12:09 PM
The foam roller on my IT band makes me want to cry and it's worth every tear.

yes it makes me scream sometimes.

My favorite thing to do is find where it hurts most, for me usually really close to my knee, then stop right there, add more weight and dig in, and experience the sensations of tension release - or since i dont really know what it is...pain release:)