PDA

View Full Version : Let's play a game: is my PT dead

thegunner
03-20-2013, 07:41 PM
so... i have a powertap sl+ 2010 vintage paired to a garmin 500

the garmin scans and finds it - peachy
the garmin will let me calibrate it - but shows a value of 355 (i vaguely remember hearing 510 as the number to aspire for) - not so peachy
the garmin doesn't show watts - definitely not peachy

has this happened to anyone? is the battery just low (seems unlikely, since i replaced it nary 40-50 hours ago)?

is my torque strain shot?

will saris still help me if this is a 2nd hand wheel?

tpalmer
03-20-2013, 08:26 PM
Sometimes a Garmin doesn't display power, see if it's in the file when you are done.

Make sure you have the latest Garmin firmware.

I'd try the battery anyway.

If all else fails, Saris is very good if you send it in via your LBS, even if it's second hand.

thegunner
03-20-2013, 08:39 PM
definitely not in the power file (aside from random quips where it read 1 watt :()

gavingould
03-20-2013, 09:12 PM
unless you have a local powertap guru, I think you'll be sending in to CycleOps. maybe try new batts first, but seems wrong to me.

slidey
03-20-2013, 10:26 PM
Umm, you might want to firstly identify whether the problem lies with the PT or the Garmin. I'd suggest trying any other ANT+ Garmin unit to see if your PT acts just as crankily. In case you've already done this, the next step is to upgrade the firmware on your Garmin...I know I had some issues using my 705 with my SRM at one point in time, right after it was sent back after recalibration+fresh battery service by SRM. Also, I know there's a difference between pairing, and turning ON the powermeter - at least for crank-based powermeters you might've paired the system but the system transmits no readings to the headunit if it isn't turned on. The way to turn them ON is by pedaling backwards a few times, till the reading "Powermeter detected" (on 705) flashes on the screen. There is likely a similar turning ON procedure for the PT wheel as well. Once all this fails, you can send it into Saris...from what I hear, they're a pretty helpful bunch.

false_Aest
03-20-2013, 11:04 PM
I've often wanted to play this game with Personal Trainers and Physical Therapists never with Power Taps.

le sigh.

oldpotatoe
03-21-2013, 06:41 AM
so... i have a powertap sl+ 2010 vintage paired to a garmin 500

the garmin scans and finds it - peachy
the garmin will let me calibrate it - but shows a value of 355 (i vaguely remember hearing 510 as the number to aspire for) - not so peachy
the garmin doesn't show watts - definitely not peachy

has this happened to anyone? is the battery just low (seems unlikely, since i replaced it nary 40-50 hours ago)?

is my torque strain shot?

will saris still help me if this is a 2nd hand wheel?

I would replace the batteries in the hub first. Cheapest. Powertap will fix it for ya, but it's expensive(about $350), new electronics, bearings and FH body. Doubt they will warranty it, even if you were the original owner

fio
03-21-2013, 07:04 AM
I'm a CS rep at Saris.

Your calibration is off. That's the reason it is not showing watts. 355 represents your calibration. A good calibration is between 500 and 524.

Being that it's a 2nd hand wheel means that it's not under warranty (FYI PowerTaps have a one year warranty to the original owner). Repair charge is $350. At this point it's a pretty good deal because you'd be getting the internals of a G3 hub which means all new electronics and bearings, as well as a new freehub body and (perhaps more importantly) a new one year warranty. Give us a call at 800-783-7257 and we'd be happy to set up the return for you. I'd be happy to do it for you as well--just ask for Mike.

oldpotatoe
03-21-2013, 07:06 AM
I'm a CS rep at Saris.

Your calibration is off. That's the reason it is not showing watts. 355 represents your calibration. A good calibration is between 500 and 524.

Being that it's a 2nd hand wheel means that it's not under warranty (FYI PowerTaps have a one year warranty to the original owner). Repair charge is $350. At this point it's a pretty good deal because you'd be getting the internals of a G3 hub which means all new electronics and bearings, as well as a new freehub body and (perhaps more importantly) a new one year warranty. Give us a call at 800-783-7257 and we'd be happy to set up the return for you. I'd be happy to do it for you as well--just ask for Mike.

Taa daaaa

thegunner
03-21-2013, 07:13 AM
I'm a CS rep at Saris.

shazam - thanks man! i'll probably do this next week, but happy to hear that it's in good hands.

as an aside - i am kind of curious regarding the carbon window design, is it possible that because i basically dredged this through a snowstorm that water ended up in the hub shell? could that have thrown off the torque? i know my gen1 wired powertap had water logging issues, but wasn't sure if the newer shell had the same problem.

thegunner
03-21-2013, 08:38 AM
as an aside - mad props to Saris for providing killer support here :)

not only did they answer my question on the boards, but they followed up personally within an hour on my email too :banana:

BSUdude
03-21-2013, 11:23 AM
x2. Everything I hear about their customer service and what I've experienced personally is great.

izzyfuld
01-12-2015, 12:42 PM
TheGunner- What did you end up doing?
I'm having the same issues on my Pro+ hub.
Calibration reads 362.

shovelhd
01-12-2015, 02:13 PM
Call Saris. The $350 repair/upgrade deal is still around and now you will get an 11 speed upgrade as well.

seanile
01-12-2015, 02:17 PM
thought this thread was going to be some Saw movie imitation where you ?maybe? killed your physical therapist..