PDA

View Full Version : Semi-OT: AMEX return protection

rice rocket
03-20-2013, 05:42 PM
I have an item that's a couple days out of the merchant's return period (18 days when the return period is 14). I put it on my AMEX, which has a 90 day return policy.

My question is, if I return it through AMEX, will I be screwing the merchant out of any money or does AMEX just eat the cost? On one hand, I like to support small business, but I'd also like my $250 back since it doesn't fit me.

MattTuck
03-20-2013, 06:00 PM
Have you tried returning it to the merchant and been refused?

If so, and you want your money back, it's kind of a moot point how the American express system works. That's why you pay the annual fee.

yoshirider
03-20-2013, 06:37 PM
I believe that AMEX eats the cost, but you have to send AMEX the item. They probably resell it afterwards

jmoore
03-21-2013, 11:25 AM
What does the merchant say? I've had good luck with merchants waiving those type of policies if I ask nicely and the item is in new condition.

FYI, Road Holland allowed me an exchange on a closeout item even though it was specifically called out as a no-no in their return/exchange policy. They even paid for shipping on the exchanged item. A+ customer service there.

DoubleButted
03-21-2013, 08:37 PM
Not sure how they handle returns, but I used the Amex insurance on a camera a couple years ago. Left it on top of my car (by the wipers - couldn't see it from inside) and it flew off at 50 mph. Still worked but the LCD was broken. When I called AMEX they just credited my account for the full amount, no questions asked. I asked if they wanted it back and they said no, keep it. My guess is that they just eat the cost of your return also. It's a drop in the bucket....
And I think the merchants pay the extra cost of the AMEX card, that's why some don't take it.

oldpotatoe
03-22-2013, 07:34 AM
I have an item that's a couple days out of the merchant's return period (18 days when the return period is 14). I put it on my AMEX, which has a 90 day return policy.

My question is, if I return it through AMEX, will I be screwing the merchant out of any money or does AMEX just eat the cost? On one hand, I like to support small business, but I'd also like my $250 back since it doesn't fit me.

Merchant pretty much gets screwed with Amex, regardless of the transaction. He pays a (BIG) fee when you use it, when it is returned, and everyplace else they can charge ya.

-Retail owner who no longer takes AMEX