PDA

View Full Version : Shipping bike yourself vs using LBS

Tpayne
03-20-2013, 09:57 AM
Assuming same quality of packing, is it cheaper to ship a full bike on your own or use a bike shop? I'll already have my own box and packing material from another bike I'm receiving in the mail.

I assume its cheaper on your own, but maybe the LBS gets special rates I'm not aware of? That may only be if they are sending it to another LBS.

jmoore
03-20-2013, 09:59 AM
Assuming same quality of packing, is it cheaper to ship a full bike on your own or use a bike shop? I'll already have my own box and packing material from another bike I'm receiving in the mail.

I assume its cheaper on your own, but maybe the LBS gets special rates I'm not aware of? That may only be if they are sending it to another LBS.

Probably cheaper to do it on your own. I have not heard of any LBS services that will save you money over just dropping the finished bike box off at FedEx. You'd do better to use a company shipping account if your co. ships a lot of packages.

Dave Wages
03-20-2013, 10:04 AM
It would depend on a number of factors, if it's a shop with a web store, then they probably ship lots of stuff and potentially get better rates than you might on your own. Whether they pass those rates along to you is up to them. Typically, it is cheaper to ship to and from a business than from a private residence, but this can vary as well.

Here's what I'd do, take the measurements of your box, and a rough guess on the weight and call your LBS, see if they'll give you an estimate on the shipping?

Cheers,
Dave

Len J
03-20-2013, 10:16 AM
Daves advice is spot on.

The only other option is to check with your place of business.

We spend over $1.0 mil/yr with fedEx and so our business rates are less than 25% of retail rates. We allow employees to use our shipping sdepartment and then have a payroll deduction for the actual cost. I shipped a bike from Indy to Calif 2 day ground and is was under $50.

It's worth asking.

Len

Ralph
03-20-2013, 10:20 AM
If you are not experienced at packing up a bike for shipment, don't have the box, foam, wrapping tape, and braces that go between rear drop outs and fork, don't have experience in packing and keeping the parts from rubbing on each other, then it's worth quite a bit to get it done right. Assuming a LBS will do it right. If I were not set up to ship a bike, paying an extra $40-50 to get it done right might be money well spent.

CDollarsign
03-20-2013, 10:24 AM
Its a pain in the butt to ship a bike. That being said, I don't think that if you pack it that a LBS will give you s special deal on shipping. I used UPS to ship a bike and it was only like $50 but it still took quite a bit of time to pack...

TAW
03-20-2013, 10:28 AM
We don't ship enough bikes from our shop to get any kind of discount. The only benefit to shipping from the LBS is packing. Because we have the boxes and packing we can usually do a good job of prepping it to ship. A person who ships on their own will incur some expense in packing materials. Obviously cheaper than paying some one, but there's more peace of mind.

Ahneida Ride
03-20-2013, 10:30 AM
Here is the box to use

http://www.shipbikes.com/Whatis.html

It's re-usable too.

http://www.zencog.com/images/bikes/aircaddy%20outside.jpg

David Kirk
03-20-2013, 10:32 AM
If you go to FedEx and sign up for an account you will get a good discount - 15% as I recall. This can be for people or businesses - doesn't matter.

All Fed Ex wants is a credit card to make sure that they will get paid so signing up for an account will make that happen for them. As i recall it took just a minute to do.

It might help.

dave

LouDeeter
03-20-2013, 10:34 AM
I've received more damaged bikes when packed by shops than when packed by individuals. Many bike shops fail to take into consideration the vertical point on the seat lug of some steel bikes and they often do not zip tie the loose parts to prevent them moving around. Just my speculation, but I'm guessing that packing a bike to ship isn't going to be done by the most experienced mechanic, but by the person with the least experience. Regarding shipping, if you use the bike shop and there is damage, you can try to get them to cover the loss as most damage in shipment is from poor packing not the fault of the shipping company. There are youtube videos that show how to pack a bike if you haven't done it before.

TAW
03-20-2013, 10:38 AM
Just my speculation, but I'm guessing that packing a bike to ship isn't going to be done by the most experienced mechanic, but by the person with the least experience. .

Actually I think the inverse is true. Because of liability, we don't use the most inexperienced mechanics to pack a bike, we use our better guys.

eippo1
03-20-2013, 10:39 AM
My LBS charges the same cost for a full tune up as the packing and breakdown fee. Then they add shipping costs. The reason for this is that it takes a little while, is a total pain in the arse, and they will make sure everything is secure and packed well.

I have packed about 4 bikes for shipping and paid them the first time to show me how to do it. I'll do usps if it's a frame and fork (and cut down boxes to make it as small as possible), but then use ups or fedex for bikes. You'll pay the balloon fee for usps and won't save much over the other 2 (which imo is the only reason to use them in the first place).

It's not hard, but having all the materials helps a lot. There are a couple videos on youtube that you could watch to see if you want to tackle it.

oldpotatoe
03-20-2013, 10:58 AM
Probably cheaper to do it on your own. I have not heard of any LBS services that will save you money over just dropping the finished bike box off at FedEx. You'd do better to use a company shipping account if your co. ships a lot of packages.

Depends. Many bike shops, those who charge actual shipping fees, that have an acct, DO get better rates. I do with FedEx..charge $45 to pack, actual fees.

Tpayne
03-20-2013, 10:59 AM
Just a dime-a-dozen Trek Fuel, so the liability is pretty low. I hope the one I receive in the mail is packed right, then I'll try to mimic it with all the packing material plus some online research.

This should be a good practice run, I def wouldn't gamble on some nice classic bike or serotta!

Thanks for all the advice

cfox
03-20-2013, 11:12 AM
I had a UPS store quote me $246 to box and ship a pair of wheels, ground, from southern Connecticut to Pittsburgh. I just bought the box for $15 and shipped it from the UPS website for $27. Moral: do it yourself.

gregj
03-20-2013, 11:23 AM
I've received more damaged bikes when packed by shops than when packed by individuals.

The only bike that I've ever seen damaged in shipping (out of probably 25-30 bikes I've bought and sold over the years) had been packed by the seller's LBS. There was nearly no padding protection (just a cardboard toilet paper roll in random places), and they didn't remove or flip the stem, which swung around and dented the top tube.

Greg

weaponsgrade
03-20-2013, 11:51 AM
If u have an rei store nearby chk with them. When I last looked my local rei charged $65 to pack plus whatever it was to ship. I was told I could also pack myself and they would ship. The shipping they quoted me was cheaper than what I calculated using the fedex online calculator, but not by much. My LBS that used to offer packing and shipping didn't anymore because they had a bad experience with a bike getting damaged in shipping

cmg
03-20-2013, 11:52 AM
always cheaper to pack and ship yourself. the more you can do without a middle man the better.

CaptStash
03-20-2013, 12:13 PM
If you go to FedEx and sign up for an account you will get a good discount - 15% as I recall. This can be for people or businesses - doesn't matter.

All Fed Ex wants is a credit card to make sure that they will get paid so signing up for an account will make that happen for them. As i recall it took just a minute to do.

It might help.

dave

Exactly! I've had an account for years. Makes things very easy. The other "trick" that can save a few sheckels is to ship to a local FedEx and have them hold it for pick-up. Many people prefer this because they have to worry about being home to get receive the bike when it arrives.

What not to do: Do not under any circumstances go to the local mailbox store and have them ship the bopx for you. Their rate will be a lot more than what you would get from FedEx online.

CaptStash....

vav
03-20-2013, 12:33 PM
[QUOTE=CaptStash;1315425] Many people prefer this because they have to worry about being home to get receive the bike when it arrives.

Or in many cases the wife doesn't freak out when she sees another giant box at the door :p

bobswire
03-20-2013, 12:55 PM

It might help.

dave

Word, I ship bikes all the time and use FedEx except for shipping a frame to Hawaii then USPS Priority, half the price of FedEx or UPS.

P.S.I even cut down boxes to fit a bike or frame, you'd be surprised of the savings.

gavingould
03-20-2013, 01:37 PM
agree with the others - DIY.

you can get yourself a FedEx account online, then ship using their online tool (put in dimensions, weight, ship-to address, etc) then print out the label and drop it off at the nearest FedEx location... prices are better than if you take a packed box in and ask them to measure/weigh etc. as they tend to round up a lot.
at least around here, there are several FedEx/Kinkos that i can drop at.

for packing materials, i heartily suggest hitting up your LBS for a bike box and associated foam/bubble/etc wrap. chances are very good that they've recently unpacked a new bike or two and may have a bunch of this stuff around just waiting to be tossed in the dumpster.
also a good reason to maintain a healthy friendship with your LBS and its mechanics, even if you buy most of your stuff online and do your own repairs.

RedRider
03-20-2013, 01:40 PM
Here is the box to use

http://www.shipbikes.com/Whatis.html

It's re-usable too.

http://www.zencog.com/images/bikes/aircaddy%20outside.jpg

This is the ONLY way to ship a bike. Minimum break down = quick reassembly. Very protective and folds up for easy storage and reuse. You buy the box and get access to the company's FedEx rate. You can't beat the convenience and value.
Airlines also accept AirCaddy as oversize luggage and you can ship gear in the box as well reducing the amount of other luggage.

P.S. If you are going the DIY route you should also check with UPS about insurance coverage. When I worked in NYC the shop was a designated "UPS Bike Packer". We were told that UPS would deny all damage claims if the box was not packed by UPS or a designated bike shop - regardless of how much insurance was purchased.

tpalmer
03-20-2013, 07:29 PM
P.S. If you are going the DIY route you should also check with UPS about insurance coverage. When I worked in NYC the shop was a designated "UPS Bike Packer". We were told that UPS would deny all damage claims if the box was not packed by UPS or a designated bike shop - regardless of how much insurance was purchased.

UPS is known for denying claims for "items not packed well", even if they were packed by their own stores :eek:

bargainguy
03-20-2013, 07:53 PM
I've used AirCaddys, Colorado Cyclist corrugated plastic clamshell boxes, ebikeshipper cardboard boxes (from the AirCaddy folks) and regular bike boxes.

AirCaddys are great with the minimal breakdown, but fair warning - these triangular boxes are huge. Might not fit in your average sedan! Minivan/SUV/wagon probably better if you need to transport to airport/terminal/etc. Or have a new one shipped to your home (flat), assemble, pack your bike and have the shipper pick up from there.

Colorado Cyclist (no longer made) - hard to damage the innards when packed right. I have three of these.

Ebikeshipper box - not as crazy about these; have to tie down parts to a cardboard backing; tight fit for larger bikes.

Regular bike box - with pipe foam insulation & zip ties, braces, etc.

I've used shipbikes.com - essentially the FedEx corporate shipping acct of Lickton's in Oak Park IL - and never had a problem. Relatively cheap, they can pickup/dropoff on both ends, and they go to bat for you if there's a problem.

biker72
03-21-2013, 10:51 AM
Prices from a LBS can vary quite a bit. Some have a flat rate..some don't. Shop around and see.

reggiebaseball
03-21-2013, 11:15 AM
I had a UPS store quote me $246 to box and ship a pair of wheels, ground, from southern Connecticut to Pittsburgh. I just bought the box for $15 and shipped it from the UPS website for $27. Moral: do it yourself.
UPS "stores" are NOT really UPS.
They are private contractors that use UPS, and brand like UPS, but as you discovered they charge approx. 3-8TIMES the proper UPS rate, for ANY package, small to huge.
Avoid them at all costs.

Tcprof
03-21-2013, 11:59 AM
We have a UPS distribution center in here in Cincinnati and I have a UPS account. I always do it myself and save a lot of money over letting the LBS do it. I wouldn't take it to a UPS Store. They are franchises that will upcharge over the standard UPS rate.

YMMV