PDA

View Full Version : truth in advertising

bironi
11-17-2005, 04:57 PM
I have noticed a few curiosities shopping for bicycles online, just curious if others find some recurring discrepancies also.

Never ridden in the rain. Can this ever be true? I am from the Pacific NW, so maybe it is possible somewhere.

Small blemishes or scratches. Always attributed to storage or moving. Please!.

Any other observations?

SoCalSteve
11-17-2005, 05:16 PM
and all the years I have been riding I have only been caught in a rainstorm twice...

and, both times I was on a Ti bike...

Which brings up my second point....which is: If the material isnt steel, it really doesnt matter if you ride in the rain, does it? Unless I'm missing something...Carbon, Al and Ti dont rust.

Steve

PS: maybe they only ride on Sundays too

TimD
11-17-2005, 09:13 PM
I have noticed a few curiosities shopping for bicycles online, just curious if others find some recurring discrepancies also.

Never ridden in the rain. Can this ever be true? I am from the Pacific NW, so maybe it is possible somewhere.

Small blemishes or scratches. Always attributed to storage or moving. Please!.

Any other observations?
No rain? Why not? Even among my "serious" buddies, few if any like riding in the rain. I ride in the rain from time to time, but I definitely don't enjoy it. Even if the bike were ridden in the rain, does it really matter? Basically the moisture and mud accelerate wear and oxidation. I would not expect a used bike to be free of either. For some materials oxidation simply is not a issue. Stripping a used bike and inspecting everything on it is probably a good idea anyway...

As for scratches, they either matter or they don't. What difference does it make where they came from?

Of course from such statements you might choose to infer something about the overall honesty and integrity of the seller, which is another matter entirely.

Have fun shopping :)
TimD