PDA

View Full Version : Seven Ti Mystery frame?

roydyates
03-20-2013, 06:05 AM
Take a look at this
Seven on Ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=181106528054&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en)

Is this frame for a touring bike, a cross bike, or a hardtail MTB?

tuscanyswe
03-20-2013, 06:09 AM
Whatever it is i wonder if the measurements are right. if that seattube is 62 the toptube sure looks longer than 54.

charliedid
03-20-2013, 06:16 AM
"THIS FRAME IS IN GOOD SHAPE! (no bends, scratches or cracks)

titanium material (super light) 62cm height, for people who's 6'2"-6'5" tall

EXT. measures.. head tube: 19cm / top tube: 54cm

this frame also included: V-BRAKE MOUNT & REAR RACK MOUNT"

-------

I dunno those rear stays sure look bent to me...

christian
03-20-2013, 06:44 AM
Touring bike - downtube cable stops.

I have no idea if the seller can wield a tape measure, but it doesn't look like a 62x54, that's for sure.

cmbicycles
03-20-2013, 07:36 AM
Maybe seller is measuring to the top of the seat tube for his measurement, instead of ctc or ctt.

roydyates
03-20-2013, 09:40 AM

I have no idea if the seller can wield a tape measure, but it doesn't look like a 62x54, that's for sure.
I agree about the sizing mystery. Frankly, I'm not even completely sure this frame takes a 700c wheel. Is the short TT measurement wrong or is this actually an MTB?

On the other hand, it may not be a touring bike. Sometimes CX bikes have downtube cable stops.
For example, my own cx bike (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=76437)

christian
03-20-2013, 09:46 AM
Sometimes, hoofbeats are from zebras...

(BTW, that bike is freakin' beautiful.)

Edit: But, oh, and by the way, once you put rack mounts, bottle bosses, 70mm bb drop, and downtube routing on a cross bike, one has to start wondering whether it's really a cross bike, or an all-rounder upon which you can race cx.

TPetsch
03-20-2013, 01:49 PM
Maybe seller is measuring to the top of the seat tube for his measurement, instead of ctc or ctt.

That's my guess too.

MattTuck
03-20-2013, 01:57 PM

Christian, for my own learning, can you explain this. The rack mounts on the seat stays are more of a tip off... Are the things on this bike to allow for down tube shifters? I have connections in a similar spot on my Lemond and its not a touring bike.

sevencyclist
03-20-2013, 02:00 PM
Not a MTB. MTB usually does not use downtube line, and tire clearance looks too small.

It has bottle mount, so not a cross. :rolleyes:

Therefore, must be a tourer.

christian
03-20-2013, 02:27 PM
Christian, for my own learning, can you explain this. The rack mounts on the seat stays are more of a tip off... Are the things on this bike to allow for down tube shifters? I have connections in a similar spot on my Lemond and its not a touring bike.

Matt - the thing I made note of are cable stops on the downtube. These are just stops, not bosses, so you can't mount shifters to them, but the stops would be used on a bike that have downtube routing of the front and rear derailleur cables, which is rare on cross bikes and mtbs. The last mtb I've seen with downtube bosses for shifters is my 1994 Scott Comp.

As Roy points out, some cx bikes have downtube routing of cables, but my retort was meant to imply - once you have rack mounts, downtube routing, and bottle cages, the bike is really more of an all-rounder, not a dedicated cross racing frame.

I suppose an easier way to think about it is this:
- Downtube cable stops means ROAD bike, either road, cx, or touring
- Cantis means cx or touring
- Downtube stops and rack mounts make me think touring, not cx (that's the horses, not zebras reference i.e. it could be a cx bike with downtube routing, but that seems less likely a guess than a touring bike.)

tiretrax
03-20-2013, 04:14 PM
Seven did (and may still) use down tube and "3/4" on the top tube" routing on Mudhoneys, their CX bike. Rack mounts would mean a custom frame.

roydyates
03-20-2013, 06:38 PM
I suppose an easier way to think about it is this:
- Downtube cable stops means ROAD bike, either road, cx, or touring
- Cantis means cx or touring
- Downtube stops and rack mounts make me think touring, not cx (that's the horses, not zebras reference i.e. it could be a cx bike with downtube routing, but that seems less likely a guess than a touring bike.)

That logic makes sense to me. Thanks! :)

roydyates
03-20-2013, 06:39 PM
Seven did (and may still) use down tube and "3/4" on the top tube" routing on Mudhoneys, their CX bike. Rack mounts would mean a custom frame.

Is there a way to determine whether it is a mudhoney?

zandrrr
03-20-2013, 06:44 PM
Based on the first picture I'm wondering if it's maybe a 54st/62tt, or a 62st/64tt (typo). That toptube looks long.

alioup
03-20-2013, 10:57 PM
Looks very similar to my seven (for sale soon), except less road oriented. Same rack mounts too.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8348/8281555555_23f9db969c_c.jpg

roydyates
03-22-2013, 05:40 PM
The ebay listing for the 62cm Serotta (for people who's 6'2"-6'5" tall") has been updated:

700c "seven cycles" FRAME COMPLETE MEASURES!
* SIZE: 62 cm
* TOP TUBE: 56 cm.. (made a mistake in the previous measure of TT length, this is now the real measure 56cm)

* SEAT TUBE: ( from center of BB to top of TT ) 57 cm
* CHINSTAY: 45cm
* HEAD TUBE: 19cm
* HEAD TUBE DIAMETER: 1 1/8"

So, a 45cm chainstay says its a touring bike?

I'm still wondering why it might be called a size 62, rather than, say ... 56 or 57?

tuscanyswe
03-22-2013, 05:52 PM
The ebay listing for the 62cm Serotta (for people who's 6'2"-6'5" tall") has been updated:

700c "seven cycles" FRAME COMPLETE MEASURES!
* SIZE: 62 cm
* TOP TUBE: 56 cm.. (made a mistake in the previous measure of TT length, this is now the real measure 56cm)

* SEAT TUBE: ( from center of BB to top of TT ) 57 cm
* CHINSTAY: 45cm
* HEAD TUBE: 19cm
* HEAD TUBE DIAMETER: 1 1/8"

So, a 45cm chainstay says its a touring bike?

I'm still wondering why it might be called a size 62, rather than, say ... 56 or 57?

Youd want to know what fork length it was designed for.
Probably got 62cm from bb to top of seattube.

10-4
03-23-2013, 08:36 AM
I'm not convinced it's for 700c wheels, the brake bosses look like they are a long way down the seat stays to me.