PDA

View Full Version : Stem Recommendations for a Lugged Steel Bike?

castafly
11-17-2005, 03:59 PM
I'm looking for a stem for a new, lugged steel frame I will be building soon (it has a 1" threadless steel fork). I'm going for the classic look (I have all alloy-colored Campy components for it), but I don't have a stem or handlebars yet. I've seen pictures of stems that were painted to match the bike, but I have no idea what make/model these stems are, or whether they were lugged or welded. Does anyone have any recommendations for a stem (10cm - 12cm) that could be painted (or comes silver if I don't paint it) that would fit a 1" threadless fork? While I'm at it, does anyone have any recommendations for alloy-colored handlebars that fit Campy 10-speed shifters/cables? If you have anything that meets my criteria that you would sell, please let me know! Thanks!

coylifut
11-17-2005, 04:07 PM
I believe Dave Kirk makes steel stems that can be painted to match. I've seen pictures. Nice looking imho.

malcolm
11-17-2005, 04:11 PM
Nitto makes a polished alum. threadless that looks very nice in the pictures I've seen. Avail. at rivendale

saab2000
11-17-2005, 04:17 PM
Cinelli Grammo threadless.

Serotta PETE
11-17-2005, 04:23 PM
See Spokes Green Hornet SACHs, He has a DEDA and I have seen others with a TTT painted to match. Additionally I have a DEDA on my Serotta that has a 1"". Easton I also think makes one. Most of these have a sleeve in them that comes out if you are using an inch and an 1/8

Your builder might paint the stem at the same time the bike gets painted.

Cadence230
11-17-2005, 04:30 PM
I want one of these babies on my Ot trot. http://www.llewellynbikes.com/thegallery/album46

Grant McLean
11-17-2005, 04:34 PM
Cinelli Grammo threadless.

Nice Suggestion!!

It's one of the few 73' stems around. Maybe also a Ritchey
is available too.

80 degree stems look "odd" on level top-tube lugged bikes.

Your milage may vary...

_G

sevencyclist
11-17-2005, 04:40 PM
Check out the polilshed ones from Columbine.

http://www.columbinecycle.com/pages/image027.html

Kirk will do a great job.

Vanilla can also make you a great one painted to match.