PDA

View Full Version : NYC question: DIY bike shop?

eacolin
03-19-2013, 01:10 PM
Hi all, I recently moved from Pittsburgh, PA to NYC and am finding that I am truly missing Kraynick's, where I used to go to service my bike (for those not familiar, Kraynick's is a shop with every part you'd ever need, with tools and stands for fixing your own bike - like a bike co-op, except open during business hours, and with parts and experts onhand). I need to move the crown race from one fork over to another fork and install a star nut on my commuter bike (basically just swapping forks). I have tools for 90% of the service I do to my bikes, but don't have a crown race setter/remover or star nut setter. The closest thing I can find to a DIY bike repair place is Times Up, but I am hesitant about co-ops because open shop hours are sparse and sometimes you need to volunteer for a while before working on your own bike (not that big of a deal, but I am far away from Times Up and realistically don't have the time). Any tips? I'm willing to travel for these odd jobs, but can't find anything similar to Kraynick's. Maybe I'm just dreaming...

Not the Slowest
03-19-2013, 01:40 PM
Bicycle Habitat Has this listing:
Personal Mechanic/Custom Classes

The mechanic is totally yours for one-on-one, or small group courses (prices vary). He/she will instruct or coach you on any and all aspects of bicycle repair. Work can be done by you, or you can just watch the wrench at work. This service is offered by appointment only and is usually only available after shop hours. The mechanic may be available for home or office visits, (home visits will incur a 25% surcharge plus travel expenses). For more information, contact Dave at David@bicyclehabitat.com.

Cost = starting at $65/hour for one on one instruction.

ALSO CALL 718CYCLERY in Bklyn, they may be what you need

rice rocket
03-19-2013, 02:14 PM
Kraynicks is awesome, but working 9-5 means I'm never able to get in during open hours, so I just bought most the tools I needed / let the LBS do them for me.

If crown races are you only problem, crown race setter = PVC pipe, and the star nut tool is ~20. Or just use compression plugs and forget about starnuts altogether.

Not the Slowest
03-19-2013, 02:27 PM
The closest thing I can find to a DIY bike repair place is Times Up, but I am hesitant about co-ops because open shop hours are sparse and sometimes you need to volunteer for a while before working on your own bike (not that big of a deal, but I am far away from Times Up and realistically don't have the time). Any tips? I'm willing to travel for these odd jobs, but can't find anything similar to Kraynick's. Maybe I'm just dreaming...

FYI, Times Up is FREE at least the last time I was there and is NOT a CO-OP. I had an old Steel frame which required a special tool. I emailed them, they said come in, I did and off I went. I left $5.00 as a thank You, but that was not expected.
There are 2 locations in Brooklyn and in LES Manhattan. My only suggestion is that you bring your own rags, hand cleaner and towels.

johnmdesigner
03-19-2013, 06:48 PM
http://ifixbyx.com/site/

Purdy will charge you to use the workstation but it's in Midtown and you are working next to a pro.

This is NYC. I have a fold-up stand in my back bedroom and a box of tools to cover the minor things. Anything else involving copious amounts of grease or special tools I take to the pros.

soupless
03-19-2013, 08:13 PM
I can help you out with that stuff. Pm me and we'll find a time.

eacolin
03-20-2013, 09:53 AM
Thanks for the suggestions guys. The workspace rental options seem really sweet, but probably too much $$ given that I am a cheapskate and am largely doing my own wrenching to save cash.

FYI, Times Up is FREE at least the last time I was there and is NOT a CO-OP. I had an old Steel frame which required a special tool. I emailed them, they said come in, I did and off I went. I left $5.00 as a thank You, but that was not expected.
There are 2 locations in Brooklyn and in LES Manhattan. My only suggestion is that you bring your own rags, hand cleaner and towels.

This is what I meant about Time's UP co-op: http://times-up.org/index.php?page=bike-co-op Based on that page I was thinking you could only go in during open shop hours to work on your bike but it sounds like (based on your experience) you can call ahead and go in which is a nice option.

Kraynicks is awesome, but working 9-5 means I'm never able to get in during open hours, so I just bought most the tools I needed / let the LBS do them for me.

If crown races are you only problem, crown race setter = PVC pipe, and the star nut tool is ~20. Or just use compression plugs and forget about starnuts altogether.

Kraynick's is open on Saturdays 11:30-4 you know! Are you also Rice Rocket on the bike-pgh forums? I was abracadabra while I still lived in Pittsburgh.

I think I will try the super DIY PVC pipe route. I'm PMing you soupless. Thanks again guys.

rice rocket
03-20-2013, 11:52 AM
Kraynick's is open on Saturdays 11:30-4 you know! Are you also Rice Rocket on the bike-pgh forums? I was abracadabra while I still lived in Pittsburgh.

I think I will try the super DIY PVC pipe route. I'm PMing you soupless. Thanks again guys.

Yep, that's me.

You can get PVC that's the same ID as your steerer because PVC is typically oversized, but I think I sized up one (so 1.25" for 1.125 steerers and 1.625" for 1.5).

DogpawSlim
03-20-2013, 01:34 PM
Use a slotted screwdriver and hammer for the crown race: stand the fork on its steerer tube and tap around the race. This works fine if your crown race is wider than the uppermost part of the fork crown.