PDA

View Full Version : Prescription orthotics question

rphetteplace
03-19-2013, 12:50 PM
Just received a set of prescription orthotics for my cycling shoes yesterday. I noticed that the forefoot under the ball of my feet and toes is completely pan flat.

When I look at the curvature of the inside of my cycling shoes it is slightly concave (higher on the outside lower in the middle). The orthotics are so stiff across this area that they don't follow the last.

Should I be worried or is this normal? Any experts out there?

Thanks
Ryan

MattTuck
03-19-2013, 12:55 PM
Just received a set of prescription orthotics for my cycling shoes yesterday. I noticed that the forefoot under the ball of my feet and toes is completely pan flat.

When I look at the curvature of the inside of my cycling shoes it is slightly concave (higher on the outside lower in the middle). The orthotics are so stiff across this area that they don't follow the last.

Thanks
Ryan

What is the problem you're trying to address with the orthotics? I have a huge metatarsal button on my orthotics to help spread my forefoot out. The rest of the orthotic is pretty flat. I have mine in my car, I can take a picture later if it would help.

I think it will depend on what you're trying to correct.

djg21
03-19-2013, 03:44 PM

Thanks
Ryan

That is an inherent problem when getting "prescription" orthotics for use in cycling shoes. The insoles or orthotics must take the curvature of the shoe's sole and last into account. Otherwise, they may not fit properly, or they may over-correct. This is why D2 requires you to send in your shoes when building insoles for non-D2 shoes, and why D2 shoes have flat sole/insole.

Go back to you podiatrist and ask whether the orthotics can be modified to better fit your shoes. Otherwise, you may have to shop for new shoes with a flatter insole.

ultraman6970
03-19-2013, 04:14 PM
IMO if the feet guy is seeing you have no idea about cycling and cycling shoes then you are better addressing the problem yourself than asking help to somebody that will set you up with walking insoles instead of cycling ones. (not talking bad about docs in here ok?)

Whats the problem you are tying to address?? pain? knees??

rphetteplace
03-19-2013, 04:23 PM
IMO if the feet guy is seeing you have no idea about cycling and cycling shoes then you are better addressing the problem yourself than asking help to somebody that will set you up with walking insoles instead of cycling ones. (not talking bad about docs in here ok?)

Whats the problem you are tying to address?? pain? knees??

Actually this is the second set in a month. The first set after walking in with my cycling shoes and stating "I want cycling orthotics" the Dr. ordered walking orthotics that didn't fit in my cycling shoes. I had to argue back and forth on that one with him.

I have pain in my feet from very high arches that wonderfully are about 1" more forward on my right foot than on my left. I've tried about a half dozen quasi custom off the shelf that never would work on both feet.

I also had quite a few knee problems last year, starting with a dislocated left kneecap about this time last year and ended with tendonitis in both knees for the rest of the season.

rphetteplace
03-19-2013, 04:25 PM
That is an inherent problem when getting "prescription" orthotics for use in cycling shoes. The insoles or orthotics must take the curvature of the shoe's sole and last into account. Otherwise, they may not fit properly, or they may over-correct. This is why D2 requires you to send in your shoes when building insoles for non-D2 shoes, and why D2 shoes have flat sole/insole.

Go back to you podiatrist and ask whether the orthotics can be modified to better fit your shoes. Otherwise, you may have to shop for new shoes with a flatter insole.

I did actually send the shoes in to have the orthotic made.

MattTuck
03-19-2013, 04:26 PM
I misunderstood your first post, sorry about that. My comment seems inane and totally unhelpful in hindsight.

What shoes do you have now?

You may have to go to a high volume shoe (like a Sidi Mega size) to allow room for the footbed/orthotic. That's what I did.

idragen
03-19-2013, 04:33 PM
ask your doctor to make any adjustments you need.

Kane
03-19-2013, 04:37 PM
go see Dr. Doug Ehrenberg (DPM).
Doug, is a great podiatrist and he is a former Category II racer.
I saw Lance come to see Doug in 1994 to get a foot problem fixed.
I am a chiropractor and I have sent many people to Doug and based upon the results that I have seen, I can recommend him as an A+++ provider.
He fit my orthotics for my riding shoes and the orthotics are excellent.
His website address is: footdoc@wellfeet.com
He answers lots of questions on the website.
Cheers,
Kane

eddief
03-19-2013, 04:59 PM
he used to routinely do by mail orders, and looks like he will still do that:

http://www.wellfeet.com/orthotics/onlineordering.html

rphetteplace
03-19-2013, 05:40 PM
I misunderstood your first post, sorry about that. My comment seems inane and totally unhelpful in hindsight.

What shoes do you have now?

You may have to go to a high volume shoe (like a Sidi Mega size) to allow room for the footbed/orthotic. That's what I did.

I'm in the high volume Giro shoe.

ultraman6970
03-19-2013, 06:07 PM
OK pain in the feet but where?? you say that the cause are your arches but where in the world it hurts?

The ball of the feet?
Pain in the middle of the feet?
the arches in specific?
The sides of the feet? (left or right)
Your arches are flexible or not? <-- important.
It hurts after like 15 mins riding?
Pain stops when you get off the bike for 2 mins for example?

John H.
03-19-2013, 06:48 PM
This!
Doug has made all sorts of orthotics for me. He makes his own stuff, and modifies the orthotic to fit in the shoe correctly.
Just made a new set for me to fit inside new S-works shoes.

go see Dr. Doug Ehrenberg (DPM).
Doug, is a great podiatrist and he is a former Category II racer.
I saw Lance come to see Doug in 1994 to get a foot problem fixed.
I am a chiropractor and I have sent many people to Doug and based upon the results that I have seen, I can recommend him as an A+++ provider.
He fit my orthotics for my riding shoes and the orthotics are excellent.
His website address is: footdoc@wellfeet.com
He answers lots of questions on the website.
Cheers,
Kane

soulspinner
03-20-2013, 04:36 AM
I asked for soft orthtics in mine(mortons neuroma) and they said they could do it. Helped put off surgery on a foot the doc said was too bad to bother with cortisone. Spread the foot just enuf and works in the cycling shoes. Going on 14 years and no surgery and no pain. Just get new ones every other year.