PDA

View Full Version : Brooks saddle in rainy Northern California?...

sean.allan.t
03-18-2013, 10:30 PM
Hi,

I am currently building up a Cielo Sportif I bought secondhand and have considered going with a Brooks saddle. It'd be my first time trying one. I've read that the leather seats are not ideal for the rain. Here in Humboldt county, Northern California where I am is pretty rainy ...I'd be riding probably 1/2 time in the rain. Should I go for a Brooks? Would I be able to keep it nice in this kind of weather? Thanks for any experience or advice.

-Sean

PSC
03-18-2013, 10:43 PM
Get fenders. They basically keep your feet and backside dry(to include the saddle). I live in the PNW, my main winter bike with fenders and B-17 saddle, everything stays dry. I have been looking at these fenders, any feedback?

http://www.ridepdw.com/goods/fenders/full-metal-fenders%E2%84%A2

Pricey for fenders, but if they work, money well spent.

Peter B
03-18-2013, 10:48 PM
Probably not the best choice in your locale/climate. Better if you have a second bike and can choose to ride the Brooks in the dry. Brooks does make a 'rain cover' but I've never tried one and from what I've seen it doesn't fully cover the underside to protect from road splash. You can always wrap with a plastic shopping bag but...

Try calling Wallingford Bike. They sell a ton of Brooks' and should be able to speak from extensive experience.

palincss
03-19-2013, 06:01 AM
It's my understanding that in the Pacific Northwest it is customary to ride bicycles with fenders when it is raining, indeed that it is considered very impolite to ride in a group in the rain without them. That takes care of the splash on the underside of the saddle (in fact, it's incomprehensible to me that anyone could consider riding in the rain on a bike where splash on the underside of the saddle is possible). For the rest, there are several brands of saddle cover that work quite well to protect a leather saddle. I use an Aardvark. For years, I used a Brooks with a Saran bowl cover beneath it.

charliedid
03-19-2013, 06:22 AM
Sure, why not?

They are after all made in England, where it of course never rains.

My wife who rides horses laughs at people worrying so much about saddles.

Keep it well treated and enjoy it.

sean.allan.t
03-19-2013, 09:32 AM
Thanks for the thoughtful comments. Yes, I'm going to be riding fenders, so it seems I should try it out. Th e comment about England ...obvious.... clinched it for me. I even think there is a B-17 on local craigslist. Thanks!

I haven't checked out that fender link above yet.

sean.allan.t
03-19-2013, 09:35 AM
Those full metal fenders look nice. I simply bought some planet bike cascadias for 700x28 tires. My Cielo frame handles those fine.

pinkshogun
03-19-2013, 09:36 AM
my B17 got soaked on a tour and now its even more comfortable than before

Erik_A
03-19-2013, 10:38 AM
If the underside is treated, it is OK. Rain splatter can't be any worse than butt sweat, can it? The saran bowl is a good idea though. I like the version with the titanium rails. Lighter and with less discoloration over time from the metal and moisture.

palincss
03-19-2013, 02:24 PM
If the underside is treated, it is OK. Rain splatter can't be any worse than butt sweat, can it? The saran bowl is a good idea though. I like the version with the titanium rails. Lighter and with less discoloration over time from the metal and moisture.

While the Saran bowl cover was entirely waterproof, it didn't have a lot of abrasion resistance. The Brooks cover, on the other hand, was very tough although not waterproof, and did a great job protecting the bowl cover from abrasion. I only stopped using the combination when the elastic at the back of the Brooks cover stretched out.

The Aardvark cover is waterproof and tough as well.

EricEstlund
03-19-2013, 02:26 PM
With any saddle cover be sure to take it off and let things dry out. Trapping condensation can do more damage then never using a cover.

IFRider
03-19-2013, 03:39 PM
back in the day of full on leather hiking boots, we used to recommend filling new boots with hot water, dumping it out and wearing them until dried out changing the wools socks every hour or so. A day of that and they fit like a glove. Dont know if I would intentionally wet a brooks saddle although I have heard of this helping a lot for some.

I can recommend the Aardvark (http://www.amazon.com/Aardvark-Waterproof-Std-Seatcover-Black/dp/B001AYKR6M/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1363728927&sr=1-1) seat cover. The previous seat covers I used did not really for the B-17. This has a bit of cushioning but covers completely including the skirt wear your thighs rub.

my B17 got soaked on a tour and now its even more comfortable than before

JLP
03-19-2013, 03:46 PM
We ride all sorts of brooks in Seattle. I stopped bothering with covers. They survive just fine.

sevencyclist
03-19-2013, 03:47 PM
I proofhide both surface and underside of the saddle with a thick coat at least twice, and that seems to help prevent damages to the saddle, even when I ride in muddy weather for MTB. The most damage probably comes from mud on my short rubbing on the nice leather when I sit back down.

GRAVELBIKE
03-19-2013, 03:57 PM
Or, consider a Selle An-Atomica. No problems with rain, snow, etc.

http://www.gravelbike.com/?p=594

sean.allan.t
03-20-2013, 01:52 AM
Again, many thanks for the great comments. Thanks JLP ...our climate is like yours. I'm gonna give the brooks a go. Just seems like anything, if you take care of them, they'll do fine, with usual wear and tear.

jbay
03-20-2013, 08:11 AM
I proofhide both surface and underside of the saddle with a thick coat [...]I'm not trying to be obnoxious, but it amazes me how that "h" has taken on a life of its own. The product is Proofide (http://www.brooksengland.com/catalogue-and-shop/spareparts/maintenance+products/Proofide+40g+Tin/), no "h."

If durability, especially in the wet, is a concern, the only leather saddle I would consider these days is a Berthoud. However, a wet 1200km, for example, will produce a plaster-cast of your derrière with one of those too. Some people like that, but others, myself included, do not. As ever, YMMV.

-- John

zzy
03-20-2013, 09:43 AM
Just to reiterate - the key is to keep it well proofided. It will absorb less water and be more comfortable. Don't ride it if it gets saturated with water as it will stretch unevenly, however with some initial liberal applications of proofide and a repolish every few months that shouldn't happen.

Ahneida Ride
03-20-2013, 10:46 AM
Please apply Obenauf ... and let it sink in overnight

cbratina
03-20-2013, 11:15 AM
Based on the reviews I have seen, Brooks saddle quality has seriously deteriorated.

The Berthoud saddles are considered better. I am using an Aspin on our tandem and on my dirt road/randonneuring bike and love it. I apply leather proofing one a year to the top and bottom and when touring carry and Aardvark neoprene cover for it. If I leave it out or ride in a heavy rain, I put the cover on it, which is form fitting and very comfortable to ride on. I have even used it when my ass was sore from long miles.

They do stretch but no one could tell me how much to adjust the tension for it. So I measure the sag when new applying a straightedge over it, and then when I feel really comfortable on it to establish my setpoint. When the saddle feels uncomfortable, I measure the sag, and retension with an allen key towards the setpoint a little at a time till it feels right.

Be sure to tighten the torx saddle bolts once a year.

I also use Velo Orange hammered aluminum fenders in the rainy season and when touring.

maunahaole
03-20-2013, 11:57 AM
Jeez, Trinidad, you are understating that you live in a rainy area.

Listen to Ray/ahneida ride on the obenauf suggestion. It works well and costs less that the brooks goo. You get plenty in a tub and you can be generous in the application to the underside of the saddle, which is where you will want the thick coat. It does wonders for other leather stuff as well.

sean.allan.t
03-20-2013, 10:09 PM
I'm going to check out Berthoud and the obenauf stuff. Glad for all who are giving there suggestions.

-Sean in Trinidad ...rained all day today, but nothing like Milan - San Remo ...that was epic. Glad for Ciolek and MTN - Qhubeka too.