PDA

View Full Version : Semi-interesting tubular vs clincher for cross article

Roy E. Munson
11-17-2005, 08:48 AM
http://www.velonews.com/tech/report/articles/9172.0.html

toaster
11-17-2005, 09:23 AM
In the clincher set-up the tire is half the equation. This article didn't even address the inner tube. The three problems with clinchers are the fact the tube pulls away from the puncture site as it deflates and accelerates air loss, the tire bead loses it grip and becomes dangerous to ride as the the tire collapses, and the dreaded pinch flat.

Tubeless MTB tires were such an improvement when they were introduced and I couldn't imagine now going back to standard tire/tube system. Clinchers are fine for the road and 'cross but tubulars offer major advantages with the exception of cost and excessive maintenance.

Too Tall
11-17-2005, 09:26 AM
That was fair for a fluff piece on cross ;)

HOWEVER, me likey the Vittoria EVO XN tyre. Yep, I'm dreaming up my next super commuter bike based on that tire...hmmmm.

coylifut
11-17-2005, 10:50 AM
Tubeless MTB tires were such an improvement when they were introduced and I couldn't imagine now going back to standard tire/tube system.

I've done 30 cross races in my life, I race Bs and single speed, so consider the source. I'm clearly no pro and fall into the weekend warrier catagory. I've raced half of those races on tubulars and half of them on clinchers. I've had 3 flats (one out of 10 races is probably normal) all of them have been on tubulars. Two of those flats were un rideable to the pit. One of them I was able to nurse the bike to the pit. When I say un rideable I mean they instantly lost all air and the tire was competely trashed. I had to make the decision not to waste the rim as well so I ran. When some one else is buying your equipment, it changes the nature of your decisions.

The fact that Tim Johnson, Lynne Bessette and Adam Craig all run clinchers carries a lot of weight in my book. When a former world champion stands up and says that he is not bothering with tubulars anymore, I'm listening. That guy clearly knows how to win races.

I believe the future is tubeless. I can't imagine that mounting tubeless tires and injecting sealant could be anymore inconvenient than glueing tubulars. The big advantage is the sealing properties of the solution and if a tire does indeed flat, they can be patched from the inside.

Don't get me wrong, when I line up this weekend it will be with tubulars, but I think in time the tubeless system will be the better choice for hack masters like my self.

shinomaster
11-17-2005, 12:32 PM
I got a pich flat at alpenrose this year but it was slow leak and I raced most of a lap before I even knew I had a flat. Usually they just blow out....maybe it was the low tire preassure?