PDA

View Full Version : Random Question: What size screw?

Nooch
03-18-2013, 09:29 AM
Would anyone happen to know what size screw would I be able to use instead of the toe spikes in my mountain bike shoes? I use the shoes mainly for commuting right now and have a sneaky suspicion that I took a ton of water in from there the other day riding in the rain, because I pulled the spikes out.

Unfortunately I don't have the shoes with me today while I'm day dreaming about riding and looking at the forecast for the week, so I figured maybe someone would know..

Thanks!

christian
03-18-2013, 09:35 AM
I think they're M5s (5mm). Wouldn't bet my kids on it, but pretty sure.

Nooch
03-18-2013, 09:54 AM
so conceivably, a shortened water bottle bolt should work...

rice rocket
03-18-2013, 10:01 AM
Make sure you Loctite it, I lost those bolts many times before I even got to use them.

christian
03-18-2013, 10:03 AM
Aren't water bottle bolts M4? Pretty sure. At least on my Colnago.

cmbicycles
03-18-2013, 10:21 AM
Christian, water bottle bolts are pretty standard at 5x0.8 mm, though I am sure there are exceptions. They may take a 4mm allen wrench, but that is not the bolt size. I worked in a shop where they had organized bolts by the size allen wrench it took instead of thread size/length. I couldn't figure out at first why all the bolts were not where they should be.

Drew, if you don't plan on using toe spikes, just put a dab of silicone in the holes. You can always use a sharpened spoke to pick it out later if you need to. I would suspect that more water comes in from the shoe uppers or through the cleat slots than the toe spike holes though.

Nooch
03-18-2013, 10:24 AM
Christian, water bottle bolts are pretty standard at 5x0.8 mm, though I am sure there are exceptions. They may take a 4mm allen wrench, but that is not the bolt size. I worked in a shop where they had organized bolts by the size allen wrench it took instead of thread size/length. I couldn't figure out at first why all the bolts were not where they should be.

Drew, if you don't plan on using toe spikes, just put a dab of silicone in the holes. You can always use a sharpened spoke to pick it out later if you need to. I would suspect that more water comes in from the shoe uppers or through the cleat slots than the toe spike holes though.

I'd probably use the spikes next year for cx, but I did forget about the rest of the cleat slot as a culprit. I wear the pearl izumi elite barrier booties in the rain, and they typically do a lot to mitigate anything coming in from the uppers -- when I run my road shoes I don't seem to have an issue with the soggy feet..

Maybe a little duct tape on the inside of the sole might help, too...

jimmythefly
03-18-2013, 12:32 PM
Yeah M5. I've used cheap M5 cap head screws in place of spikes on several pair of shoes.