PDA

View Full Version : Taking a bus from an airport in Europe???

VTCaraco
03-18-2013, 09:11 AM
Any chance any of you have flown into Amsterdam airport (Schipol) with a travel bike? I'm anticipating bus transportation from the airport to the home we're staying in. Three of us (wife, son and me) will have 2 travel bikes/bags + another big suitcase and some carry-on sized bags.
But, with my US (Vermont) paradigm, the notion of having luggage like this on a bus feels challenging. I'd love some affirmation that we'll be fine.

I look forward to hearing from folks with this sort of experience.

RonW87
03-18-2013, 09:14 AM
You'll likely want to take the train from Schiphol.

Likes2ridefar
03-18-2013, 09:19 AM
If you are going to downtown amsterdam take the train. it's big and easy to bring a bike on.

Never been on a bus in that area so can't help ya there but see if a train goes there...it might be easier.

veggieburger
03-18-2013, 09:22 AM
Go down two escalators and you'll be at the train ticket kiosk. If you are toting travel bikes, you shouldn't have any issue taking them on the train. If they are in oversized boxes, ask at the kiosk which car of the train they would like you to take...some of the cars have pictures of bikes on the side of them for commuters. I imagine that's where they would want oversized bike boxes.

Where in Holland are you staying?

johnmdesigner
03-18-2013, 09:26 AM
Have a Herring and onion sandwich before you board the train.
Gives you street cred.

veggieburger
03-18-2013, 09:27 AM
Have a Herring and onion sandwich before you board the train.
Gives you street cred.

Don't forget a cup of coffee and some salty licorice...

johnmdesigner
03-18-2013, 09:28 AM
Don't forget a cup of coffee and some salty licorice...

At that hour of the morning Dutch Gin works just fine.

christian
03-18-2013, 09:28 AM
Where are you going? I worked in Amsteveen for about a year, flying into Schiphol on KLM every Monday morning from NY.

Taking the train would be no problems with bike boxes. I think the same would be true for most buses.

MadRocketSci
03-18-2013, 09:31 AM
like others have said the train is a couple floors down from the airport terminal, very convenient. The luggage racks are available in cars by the doors, and if anything is oversized look for those bike signs on the cars. Are you staying near central amsterdam? The train will take you to the Damrak station, where i imagine you could probably find additional transportation (cab, bus, water taxi, tram) to your final destination.

VTCaraco
03-18-2013, 11:02 AM
We'll be staying in a family's house outside of Amsterdam; a family that we've connected with through a house-swap site.
The home is in Aalsmeer.
We're leaving our car at the airport when we fly out and asked if they would do the same. They said that they could but that they'll be taking the bus to the airport. That it's a ten-minute ride at stops right by their house.
With my rural American mentality, it seems a little odd. You can't live in VT with a reliance on public transport. Just hoping for another point of view...

And per the herring and onion, I might need to surrender street cred for that. I can drink the coffee, but I'm pretty sure I'll need to work up some of the more interesting local cuisine.

Likes2ridefar
03-18-2013, 11:03 AM
FWIW, most of Europe (that includes where you are going) has vastly superior public transportation compared to the USA.

veggieburger
03-18-2013, 11:06 AM
Aalsmeer? You might want to take a minivan taxi. Really, I think you can throw a baseball and hit Schiphol from Aalsmeer. Shouldn't be much to get you there.

MadRocketSci
03-18-2013, 11:21 AM
And per the herring and onion, I might need to surrender street cred for that. I can drink the coffee, but I'm pretty sure I'll need to work up some of the more interesting local cuisine.

go Dutch for breakfast, maybe lunch....go Middle Eastern or Indonesian for dinner and late night

Likes2ridefar
03-18-2013, 11:22 AM
go Dutch for breakfast, maybe lunch....go Middle Eastern or Indonesian for dinner and late night

and for dessert Fries with mayo:)

Likes2ridefar
03-18-2013, 11:25 AM
if you are in to beer there is a bar in Amsterdam that usually has the highly elusive Westvletern 12 in the bottle. Cafe gollem.

christian
03-18-2013, 11:31 AM
Aalsmeer? You might want to take a minivan taxi. Really, I think you can throw a baseball and hit Schiphol from Aalsmeer. Shouldn't be much to get you there.

Yeah, agreed. Oh, and enjoy the flower auction!

All the cuisine is fine.
Except for the karnemelk.
Do not drink the karnemelk.

And I say this as someone who grew up drinking cultured milk products for breakfast every day of my early life.

veggieburger
03-18-2013, 11:37 AM
Agreed on the karnemelk! Just find a Febo and all of your deep-fried dreams will come true.

http://downloads.contiki.com/contikipedia/europe/mattyvcontiki/Febo_Boxes.JPG

johnmdesigner
03-18-2013, 12:17 PM
Avoid the bitterballen (sic?) (deep fired bulls balls). Especially in the "brown curtains".
Oh, and people SMOKE in bars. A lot.
Go to any good bookstore and get some cycling maps. They are excellent. As good as any auto maps here.
Enjoy it! Ride up to Delft on Sunday morning and have dutch pancakes in the square.
Now I'm starting to cry...:p

johnmdesigner
03-18-2013, 12:19 PM
Yeah, agreed. Oh, and enjoy the flower auction!

All the cuisine is fine.
Except for the karnemelk.
Do not drink the karnemelk.

And I say this as someone who grew up drinking cultured milk products for breakfast every day of my early life.

Never the RED label. Always the BLUE.

veggieburger
03-18-2013, 12:33 PM
Avoid the bitterballen (sic?) (deep fired bulls balls). Especially in the "brown curtains".

Noooo....bitterballen are like kroketten. Maybe they were bulls balls in the past, but no longer. Lots of spicy mustard - yum.

Do try the patat oorloog. Peanut sauce and mayo over french fries. Lekker!!