PDA

View Full Version : OT: Soundtracks of forgotten movies (or what I like)

William
11-17-2005, 07:48 AM
I don't listen to an IPOD or anything like that when I ride, but I do play music in my head. My tastes cover the spectrum from Pop to classical, easy listening to heavy metal. Recently I pulled out an old CD of the Dudes soundtrack and now have cuts from that playing in my head when I ride. I'm not sure you can even find this one anymore. Other then the first cut, I like the rest of it quite a bit.

Anyone else have any unusual or rare cuts that you play or listen to when your riding...or just lounging around?

William

Release Date: 1987
Dudes - Original Motion Picture Soundtrack / 1987 MCA Records 6212

The highlights of this soundtrack to a now-forgotten movie are covers by Steve Vai ("Amazing Grace") and Megadeth ("These Boots Are Made for Walking"), and an early demo version of "Mountain Song" by Jane's Addiction. All Music

Tracks

1 Rock & Roll Outlaw: Keel

2 Urban Struggle: Vandals

3 Show No Mercy: W.A.S.P.

4 Vengeance Is Mine: Simon Steele & The Claw

5 These Boots Are Made for Walkin': Megadeth

6 Time Forgot You: Legal Weapon

7 Jesus Came Driving Along: Leather Nun

8 Mountain Song: Jane's Addiction

9 Lost Highway: Little Kings

10 Dudes Showdown: Charles Bernstein

11 Amazing: Grace Steve Vai

Tailwinds
11-17-2005, 07:52 AM
Good music choice, William! Now I have to find that soundtrack for myself.

Not rare or unusual, but I like everything from Fleetwood Mac (good warm-up) to Foo Fighters and Metallica (riding hard). I also only play it in my head -- no iPod - unless I'm on the trainer.

e-RICHIE
11-17-2005, 08:02 AM
santana - soul sacrifice...live cut from woodstock
dylan - desolation row...almost any version

Bud
11-17-2005, 08:05 AM
I get pumped by "listening" to Rage Against the Machine, Nickleback, the Red Hot CHili Peppers, and others. Like William, I have eclectic tastes and also enjoy Jazz, classical (excellent reading music while at work), reggae and a bit of other stuff.

I did recently join the Ipod generation when I inherited my wife's old one (she got a new Ipod mini) but I don't listen to it when riding. I think that it's a bit dangerous to tune yourself out from the environmental sounds. I never listened to tunes while running, either.

Kevan
11-17-2005, 08:07 AM
Two days ago I gave my wife a list of music which was the sound track to one of her favorite chick-flicks. To be honest, I really enjoyed the film and the music too.

"Mostly Martha"

http://movies2.nytimes.com/gst/movies/movie.html?v_id=255214

Unfortunately no CD was made with this film's soundtrack so we who want it must make our own. Here's some help if you too are interested:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/richpub/listmania/fullview/10I9UL0KC0Y0Y/104-8427014-5910349?%5Fencoding=UTF8

I'm trying to put this collection of songs together using iTunes, but it's difficult without buying whole albums. A project in the making.

Jeff N.
11-17-2005, 08:32 AM
Stevie Ray Vaughn. Anything, but "Cold Shot" never leaves my head. Jeff N.

Toofine
11-17-2005, 09:04 AM
and it's full of Metalica (of course), Foo Fighters, Pearl Jam, and more Metalica!

In my head is John Tesh circa 1986 Tour De France theme music...

William
11-17-2005, 09:43 AM
Stevie Ray Vaughn. Anything, but "Cold Shot" never leaves my head. Jeff N.

SRV is SOP in my musical ramblings. :cool:

William

ti_boi
11-17-2005, 10:01 AM
Here are a few of My Favorite 'Tunes in the Head'..... :bike:

Pearl Jam, In My Tree
Blur, There's No Other Way
The Verve, Lucky Man, and Bittersweet Symphony
Mussorgsky, Pictures at an Exhibition
The Water Boys, This the Sea
REM, Harbor Coat
Nirvana, Jesus Doesn't Want Me For a Sunbeam, and Drain You
Chuck Berry, Nadine
Led Zepplin, Hey, Hey, What can I say (Street Corner Girl)
Rolling Stones, Street Fighting Man, and I'm a Monkey!
NOFx, Drugs are Good!

IPOD? I'm still on my 1987 Carver 900 series receiver! :p

jdoiv
11-17-2005, 10:19 AM
I usually just ride and enjoy the scenery without thinking of music. Never ride with any kind of walkman/ipod except on the rollers. Went to NC last week and did a little mountain biking. For some reason as I'm hammering up a climb I get "Ms. Gredenko" from the Police jamming in my head. Can't get it out. Don't know when the last time I had heard it was. It wasn't loaded in the car cd changer. Rode the rest of the ride with that little diddy popin' in my head. Got to the car, dug through my cd wallet, found the album (wasn't even sure which album it was on) and loaded in. Drove back to the inn cranking that song up and playing it like 5 times. Now I can't even think how it goes... weird...
Did make the ride seem epic though. :D

Dekonick
11-17-2005, 10:46 AM
2 soundtrack bits you may never have heard...

For the mellow music lovers - a.k.a. Pink Floyd and similar...

Soundtrack to the movie Le Grand Bleu (the big blue)
and
Soundtrack to DUNE (think it was made by Toto...)

Good chill tunes...

Why is it impossible to find good jazz on the radio in the D.C. area? The only GOOD (non kenny G crap) jazz I have found is from public radio and it is only on for a few hours at a pop. :cool:

Ken Robb
11-17-2005, 10:58 AM
I am proud to say I must not be such an old geezer. I have actually heard of 4 of these tunes and could hum 2 of them. :beer:

bironi
11-17-2005, 10:58 AM
Kevan,

I too liked the Mostly Martha soundtrack. It made me pull out some old vinyl of Keith Jarrett from many years back.

I was fortunate to ride a few miles of the Seattle to Portland ride about 20 years ago following a tandem that had quite a good little stereo mounted in paniers. Sly and the Family Stone made the miles fly by with a smile on my mug.

Byron

Tailwinds
11-17-2005, 11:10 AM

DITTO Santana -- oh my, how could I leave Santana out?! I actually had tickets to see them at Red Rocks the week after I got hit by the soccer mom... tix to see Foo Fighters, too -- couldn't go! :crap:

zeroking17
11-17-2005, 11:25 AM
The Pusher - Steppenwolf
Born To Be Wild - Steppenwolf
The Weight - Smith
Wasn't Born To Follow - The Byrds
If You Want To Be A Bird - The Holy Modal Rounders
Don't Bogart Me - Fraternity Of Man
If 6 Was 9 - Jimi Hendrix
Kyrie Eleison / Mardi Gras - Electric Prunes
It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding) - Roger McGuinn
Ballad Of Easy Rider - Roger McGuinn
///

Vancouverdave
11-17-2005, 11:31 AM
A few years ago we (wife and myself) took a 9 day backpacking trip across the Olympic Peninsula. Two days of this involved @18 miles of trial with some real shaky log bridges. It helped to focus and keep my balance on these things to keep Bobby Darin's "Mack the Knife" going through my head liek a mantra.

Dekonick
11-17-2005, 11:32 AM
DITTO Santana -- oh my, how could I leave Santana out?! I actually had tickets to see them at Red Rocks the week after I got hit by the soccer mom... tix to see Foo Fighters, too -- couldn't go! :crap:

Carlos in Red Rocks...the only thing better would be Pink Floyd! :p

Never been to a concert there but my sister was always telling me about them...she was smart and went to undergrad in Boulder...and med school in Denver...

She also has the family season tix to the Broncos :crap: :crap: :crap:

Man...I miss Colorado. We moved away when I was a wee lad...guess my sister made a better choice and moved back while I am stuck in Merryland. :help:

Bud
11-17-2005, 11:51 AM
Carlos in Red Rocks...the only thing better would be Pink Floyd! :help:

We saw Dave Matthews there this fall and it was incredible- the best concert I've ever been to. DMB is some sweet tunes- good for chilling after a ride with a malt beverage.

Tom
11-17-2005, 12:01 PM
For some strange reason the second tune from The Revolution Starts... Now keeps going through my head when I'm out riding.

Kevan
11-17-2005, 12:05 PM
you know, Keith Jarrett's been flying below my radar for too long. I know some of his stuff, but during my hunt and peck for songs, I really got to enjoy some of the sound bits from his various albums. I only wish iTunes had a more comprehensive list of his individual songs we could purchase. Like "Country", which happens to be the main theme to the film.

ClutchCargo
11-17-2005, 12:23 PM
I am always hearing 'Tres Delinquentes' by Delinquent Habits.

There's something about their sampling of Herb Alpert's horns . . .

ride on, hombres!

dirtdigger88
11-17-2005, 01:01 PM
I have always thought soundtracks are hidden jewels-

Even if the movie blows you can still end up with a killer soundtrack

I looked through my cds last night and made up a quick list of some that I have

Better Off Dead
Cool World
The Wall
Spawn
Cruel Intentions
Goodfellas
Lost Boys
the Crow
From Dusk to Dawn
Lost Highway
Singles

I need to add any movie that Rob Zombie directs - :cool:

Jason

bluesea
11-17-2005, 02:04 PM
Bob Marley Babeeee!!! coz I know all the words.

I'm a karaoke animal.

Dr. Doofus
11-17-2005, 02:21 PM
doof rides the trainer in silence

but

things that have drifted into doof's head on the trainer in the last week:

The Jam : "A" Bomb in Wardour Street
Flipper: Sex Bomb
P-Funk All Stars: Copy Cat
Minnie Ripperton: Loving You
Tony Orlando and Dawn: Knock Three Times
Teh Replacements: White 'n Lazy
Ike Turner and His Rhythm Kings: Rocket 88
Dusty Springfield: Stay Awhile
MArie Osmond: Blue Velvet

what bugs the doof is that its never the whole song...just a hook or a phrase and then it repeats over and over and over until I, Doof, change cadence.

Taste has nothing to do with it. Some good stuff comes into the doof's head, and some real crap.

Grant McLean
11-17-2005, 02:30 PM

Try:

Isaac Hayes: Live at Wattstax '72
(includes the theme from "SHAFT")

You'll ride home to the Mrs. at record speed !!

http://tinyurl.com/b2y92

_G

ti_boi
11-17-2005, 03:58 PM
Great Soundtracks IMHO include:

Riding Giants...various artists
Aaron Copland's...The Heiress (Oscar winning score)
The Legend of Bagger Vance....Rachel Portman
Garden State...Various Artists
No Direction Home...Bob Dylan
Anything by Randy Newman

...and the hits just keep on commin'!

dirtdigger88
11-17-2005, 04:02 PM
Ya cant forget

Pulp Fiction-

Heavy Metal-

and

The Rocky Horror Picture Show-

Lets do the time warp again. . . .

http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/party/party0048.gif

Jason

MartyE
11-17-2005, 04:13 PM
frequently have
SRV couldn't stand the weather or Little wing runnin through
my head.
when I'm hammerin along I'll get
stones "Can't you hear me knockin" rattling around in there.
Dead "Friend of the Devil" is a good cadence song.
The Mario Lanza song that Dave Stohler always
whisted, sung, hummed.
Flower Duet by Lakme

it's kind of like the new radio station here
Jack, we play what we want.

those are but a few of the more prominent ones.
I'm sure that 1/3 of the male population over 40 has
Inagaddadavida running through their heads at any given
time. . . see isn't that what you hear RIGHT NOW?

Marty

Jeff N.
11-17-2005, 04:58 PM
frequently have
SRV couldn't stand the weather or Little wing runnin through
my head.
when I'm hammerin along I'll get
stones "Can't you hear me knockin" rattling around in there.
Dead "Friend of the Devil" is a good cadence song.
The Mario Lanza song that Dave Stohler always
whisted, sung, hummed.
Flower Duet by Lakme

it's kind of like the new radio station here
Jack, we play what we want.

those are but a few of the more prominent ones.
I'm sure that 1/3 of the male population over 40 has
Inagaddadavida running through their heads at any given
time. . . see isn't that what you hear RIGHT NOW?

MartyI checked out The Stones at Petco Park last Friday night. F'ing incredible show. Jeff N.

vaxn8r
11-17-2005, 05:51 PM
William, sometimes I can't get music out of my head on rides. This week I keep getting a visual recurring image. Poor Beav...

William
11-17-2005, 06:05 PM
William, sometimes I can't get music out of my head on rides. This week I keep getting a visual recurring image. Poor Beav...

Poor poor stupid Duck.
http://f.screensavers.com/migration/wp/beavers_215.gif

Why what is this? Another vote for stooo-pid Duck? Yes, yes it is. ;)

http://members.tripod.com/dandy_land/brookesduck.jpg

William ;)

vaxn8r
11-17-2005, 07:03 PM
OK Big William, here ya go:

jel
11-17-2005, 08:21 PM
Blazing Apostles - BeBop Deluxe. I can guarantee I'll start singing this to myself when I ride.

dbrk
11-17-2005, 09:21 PM
Soundtracks means movie soundtracks, right? I think these were never really listening music unless the movie was a musical, at least not till recently ("recently" in my world is about the last, say, 15 years).

For movie soundtracks I'd recommend two worthy of getting stuck in your head: Michael Mann's Last of the Mohicans is often wondrous for the music and the more recent Peter Weir's Master and Commander, though it hard to not to like variations on Mozart, Locatelli, Corelli, and the like. If the only music left in the world were Mozart I could live with that just fine. Sort of like the One Bike Only question, which I never do well with. Music, like bicycles, should be plural, diverse, and deeply promiscuous in the way it creates every sort of experience. Plenty of what you love in many, many styles and forms.

dbrk
who thinks you need at least one bike with much fatter tires than a 25c and at least three others with different fits, different bits, each creating a different experience...

Fixed
11-17-2005, 09:26 PM
bro here's one every bike messenger should know Streets Of Fire - music by Ry Cooder - round midnight -dexter gordon ,paris texas- ry cooder's version of the haunting wilie johnson's dark was the night cold was the ground . you are never the same after you hear that .i.m.h.o.cheers :beer:

e-RICHIE
11-17-2005, 09:26 PM
agreed, dbrk-issimo!
dylan acoustic and dylan electric!

Dekonick
11-17-2005, 09:32 PM
Saw it on Yahoo news...

I always knew he was a loon....

great tunes tho...

jerk
11-17-2005, 09:42 PM
the best movie soundtrack ever is the soundtrack to the italian movie street law starring franco nero. the sad part about the jerk saying that is, that it is true, at least fifty people here are going to google "street law" and "franco nero" and atl least three of you will somehow buy the soundtrack which the jerk has been searching for, for fifteen years to no avail. he does however own the movie, and it is the third best movie ever made.

jerk

e-RICHIE
11-17-2005, 09:48 PM
imho the jerk digresses...

taz-t
11-17-2005, 09:53 PM
the best movie soundtrack ever is the soundtrack to the italian movie street law starring franco nero. the sad part about the jerk saying that is, that it is true, at least fifty people here are going to google "street law" and "franco nero" and atl least three of you will somehow buy the soundtrack which the jerk has been searching for, for fifteen years to no avail. he does however own the movie, and it is the third best movie ever made.

jerk

Okay - I'll bite... What are the first two?

- Taz in ATL

Kevan
11-17-2005, 10:08 PM
If I were stranded on an island Crusoe-style with nothing but my bike Friday and a beautifully paved 60 mile loop and an iPod with just one single song on it to satisfy my ear, it would have to be Vivaldi's "Nulla In Mundo Pax Sincera". This too short of an aria is everything right about what’s beautiful in life, is magical, offers the sensual sound of a feminine voice, and extends a direct line to the heavens. I love everything that is rock, jazz, folk and classic, but this piece, this one here, belongs in everyone's first aid kit.

Scroll down to Disc one, track number 19 on this link and give it a short listen. I wish it offered you more.

http://www.iclassics.com/productDetail?contentId=8374

Birddog
11-17-2005, 11:02 PM
Soundtrack from "The Big Chill"

http://www.nomorelyrics.net/group/00003606.html

Birddog

William
11-18-2005, 04:32 AM
OK Big William, here ya go:

http://www.kevinduffy.net/Virtual%20Humor%20(Web)/duck%20suicide.gif

William ;)

keno
11-18-2005, 06:29 AM
"Reservoir Dogs" always comes to mind in this category. Whether it's "Little Green Bag" or Steven Wright, I don't know.

keno

Redturbo
11-18-2005, 07:50 AM
pulp fiction
prince :rolleyes:

turbo

bluesea
11-18-2005, 08:02 AM
Nino Rota. La Strada (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007ULB9W/103-9850829-5665462?v=glance&n=5174&n=507846&s=classical&v=glance)