PDA

View Full Version : Any opinions on brooks Leather bar tape?

krismac23
03-18-2013, 07:44 AM
I'm building up nice Sunday/training bike. It's actually a nice vintage steel frame I bought from the awesome forum members here and I was wondering what ppl thought about brook handlebar tape? Is it worth it or should I look elsewhere. I love riding without gloves in the summer if that helps.

dave thompson
03-18-2013, 07:50 AM
Brooks bar tape doesn't wrap well. The edges aren't beveled so it won't lie flat, somewhat like if you tried to use a belt to wrap your bars.

The 'official' leather bar tape of the Paceline forum is HandleBra? Click on their icon on the banner at the top of the page to see more about them.

jr59
03-18-2013, 07:54 AM
I just tried it and it doesn't work near as well as the handlebra!

christian
03-18-2013, 07:56 AM
Yeah, the short answer is that it's no HandleBra.

krismac23
03-18-2013, 08:05 AM
what's the feel compared to brooks and say fizik soft touch? also how does it wear? Thanks for steering me the right way!

Fishbike
03-18-2013, 08:21 AM
I like Brooks tape. But Handlebra is superlative. Handlebra is softer, wraps more easily and the edges lay flat. The leather is a much higher quality. It also comes in more colors, although it seems Brooks has a a lot more colors these days as well.

That being said, the perforated Brooks has a nice classic look to it. And it is not THAT hard to wrap. There is something so right about perforated Brook honey tape on a classic build. But Handlebra is nicer overall.

The Fizik stuff is sorta leather-like. I know a lot of people like it. I have used it a lot. But if you are going to go with a honey or brown color, get real leather.

jr59
03-18-2013, 08:24 AM
what's the feel compared to brooks and say fizik soft touch? also how does it wear? Thanks for steering me the right way!

I haven't used the soft touch, and I use gloves, so I can't comment on that part.
As far as wear, It wears very well. IMO, one of the best things you can buy for your bike as far as wear goes. My 2 year old Brooks tape still looks like new, after 1000's of miles and 3-4 years!

krismac23
03-18-2013, 08:26 AM
Man sounds like ppl are split between the two

FlashUNC
03-18-2013, 08:36 AM
Fizik microtex all the way. Wraps well, lasts a while, looks good.

christian
03-18-2013, 08:50 AM
Fizik microtex all the way. Wraps well, lasts a while, looks good.

"Hey, what kind of loafers look best with a tweed jacket and wool trousers?"
"Converse, no doubt."

:)

1/2 Wheeler
03-18-2013, 08:52 AM
Very pleased with Brooks!

Only used it becuase it was gifted to me.

Paying more than $15 for tape is not something I can do.

nighthawk
03-18-2013, 08:52 AM
I've got Brooks tape on my dirt road bike. It wraps fine and I haven't had any issues with wear or tear. It discolors a bit in the sun (ive got honey tape).. But nothing some proofide can't fix. Ill definitely put a second season of riding in on it this year.

My one petty gripe is that one of the strips I received had a splice in it. Paying ~$60 for some bar tape I had a hard time swallowing that one, but I wrapped it anyways... And it's fine. But I know it's there!

FlashUNC
03-18-2013, 08:57 AM
"Hey, what kind of loafers look best with a tweed jacket and wool trousers?"
"Converse, no doubt."

:)

That'd be a fine bit of spezzatura I think.

oldpotatoe
03-18-2013, 09:02 AM
I've got Brooks tape on my dirt road bike. It wraps fine and I haven't had any issues with wear or tear. It discolors a bit in the sun (ive got honey tape).. But nothing some proofide can't fix. Ill definitely put a second season of riding in on it this year.

My one petty gripe is that one of the strips I received had a splice in it. Paying ~$60 for some bar tape I had a hard time swallowing that one, but I wrapped it anyways... And it's fine. But I know it's there!

Works and wraps fine. Too expensive IMHO. They ALL have a splice on one side or the other. Poor form, IMHO. I think it has to do how they source it for manufacture.

Liv2RideHard
03-18-2013, 09:04 AM
Honey Brooks tape on my Tommasini and black Brooks tape on my Sachs. I love the stuff. No issues wrapping. Laid flat for me. Finishing tape has stayed put and has not lifted at all. I ride sans gloves year round. I love the feel. Rub some of this on it periodically...

https://www.obenaufs.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=30

The Obenaufs Heavy Duty LP will keep it nice and tacky.

Ahneida Ride
03-18-2013, 09:10 AM
If you elect to go Brooks ... use the Obenaufs .....

Of course ...... there is an alternative ..... :banana: :hello:
Made right here in the USA too. :p

http://brimages.bikeboardmedia.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/handlebra-leather-bar-tape03.jpg

thwart
03-18-2013, 09:35 AM
Funny you should ask...

Had some 'leftover' Brooks brown tape from a few yrs ago and just did my Peg last night. This tape had been damaged in a minor crash, so some repair was needed (what can I say, I'm cheap). Point is, the Brooks is thick enough to repair this way.

I own some Handlebra as well. The Brooks is a bit more difficult to wrap, but it is actually beveled and the perforated style certainly looks good when it's done.

BTW, I have carpal tunnel syndrome so I have some cork wrapped underneath in the high use areas on the bars. Some folks just do the entire bar that way, but I prefer to avoid the 'thick bar' look as much as possible... not sure I succeeded.

And, yes, we are adding even more snow today. :help:

sc53
03-18-2013, 09:47 AM
I had Brooks honey several years ago on my bike, but it ripped when I tried to rewrap it on another bike. I bought Handlebra instead. Yes it's expensive, as bar tape goes, but I have now used it on no fewer than four sets of handlebars without ripping or other disaster! Plus the Fine Cigar color has not discolored over the years as the Brooks honey did in one season. Trouble is, you need never replace Handlebra. Ray makes one sale and that's it for your lifetime.

yakstone
03-18-2013, 09:56 AM
I have used both Brooks and H-Bra. Both work well. The Bra is nicer stuff but both work well and add a touch of class to your ride. I have not had any difficulty wrapping either one.

jmoore
03-18-2013, 10:25 AM
If you want leather bar tape without a splice, you are gonna have to have a REALLY long source cow for the hide :D

http://www.fugly.com/media/IMAGES/Strange/long-cow.jpg

Ahneida Ride
03-18-2013, 10:45 AM
Actually, most HB strips have no splices.
I cut right down the hide.

Some do ... I can't throw away a 7 ft and a 3 ft section.
Such pieces are carefully mated and a strong backing support is
added to retain rigidly and strength.

Ahneida Ride
03-18-2013, 10:51 AM
Trouble is, you need never replace Handlebra. Ray makes one sale and that's it for your lifetime.

At NAHBS a few year back, I tried to give (free) Chris Igelheart a new
updated version of the wrap. Chris was one of the first testers.

Chris became rather upset. His old wrap he transferred from 3 other bikes
and wanted to keep it.

krismac23
03-18-2013, 02:02 PM
Man... Now I don't know what to do. To confusing. 1st world problems.

zzy
03-18-2013, 02:14 PM
I run some on my Ti tourer. I put some fizik gels under it for extra comfort. I like it, but would NOT spend $60 on it. I proofided it to make it more stretchy and it wrapped very well. It does show wear from gloves and becomes grey where the dye wears. As said above, the splicing sucks, and seems to always end up in the worst place. It's also made in China, not England. It does break in nicely and becomes smoothly ribbed if wrapped well. It also nicely insulates the bars from vibration. I too would suggest a leather wrap from another company unless you can get a deal.

Ahneida Ride
03-18-2013, 04:10 PM
I could offer a superlative leather, that just is not water resistant.
say in the 60 frn range ...

colors would be just Black and Brown ... (at least for now)

Should I try this ?

It's really nice leather, honest, just not liquid repellent.
It would benefit with some protectorant like Obenauf, allowing
the Obenauf dry in overnight.

It's superior to the original HB from years ago.

thwart
03-18-2013, 04:18 PM

Should I try this ?

I would say yes. More options are good... as long as it doesn't add much more hassle to the business...

pavel
03-18-2013, 04:50 PM
i've had brooks honey and brown tape on two different bikes. It wraps just fine and the finish product is great. Never had any problems with it in terms of performance or looks.

dustyrider
03-18-2013, 05:03 PM

Should I try this ?

I'd imagine most folks who are lookin at 100 dollar wrap aren't the same folks looking at 60 dollar wrap.
To me the 60 dollar folks are most likely an even smaller group...
For me I really want to afford the leather, but the difference between 100 and 60 is still more than I want to pay for bar wrap. I think of bar wrap as disposables, I've laid the bike down too many times to think otherwise.

I'm certainly a minority here when it comes to my bike budget, so take that for what is worth. Certainly a price range must be helpful at some level for a business, whether helpful and profitable equate.....??????

Aaron O
03-18-2013, 05:16 PM
+1 to other posts - it gets dirtier and is harder to clean compared to Handlebra and it feels awful wet.

oldpotatoe
03-18-2013, 05:32 PM

Should I try this ?

I sell a fair amount of Brooks, if the wholesale price of yours is 'reasonable', I'd have some for $60 retail, that would be easy.

alexstar
03-18-2013, 09:49 PM
How do these leather tapes do in the rain? Will it age badly after some rainy rides? Is maintenance (proofide, etc) required?

martl
03-19-2013, 03:59 AM
since you asked for opinions...

i don't personally really care much about leather bartape, for the following reasons, which may or may not apply to you- just my 2ct worth.

Leather bar tape is not really "period correct", no one used leather bar tape in the times we call "vintage". Ok, there may have been some guys who did it, but it definitely wasn't done generally.

Handlebar tape is an expendable part and should be cheap and easy to replace.

Depending on the vintage and purpose of the bike, i would use cloth tape (old racing bikes in general), shellaqued cloth tape (randonneurs and the like), cloth tape with gauze bandage (for your Paris-Roubaix replica), even bakelite or wooden handles (some 20ies and older stuff), Benotto (late 60ies and later). Budget solution: fi'zik makes a nice plastic one with those sporty ventholes that looks correct on everything from the 70ies and later, and so on.

If i wanted leather for a very posh bike, i'd try to wrap the handlebar in one piece "Almarc" style, there are a few instructions how to do that on the web.
Original Almarcs also show up occasionally on Ebay, pricey, but you get a handlebar and stem with it :) Brooks tape ain't cheap either.

Bruce K
03-19-2013, 05:40 AM
Alexstar -

The Handlebra is liquid repellant. It does very well in the rain and recovers nicely afterwards.

The grip stays pretty conisistent whether it's wet or dry.

BK

Len J
03-19-2013, 06:32 AM
The new brooks Perforated is not as good as the old Brooks tape.

Len

PS PM if you want old brown.

FastforaSlowGuy
03-19-2013, 07:00 AM
This is basically the project bike I'm working on. Seeing yours, I feel re-inspired.

I just tried it and it doesn't work near as well as the handlebra!

Ssalmon
03-19-2013, 07:13 AM
I've had the same brooks bar tape on my commuter for 2 or 3 years now. I commute year round in North Dakatoa. I have had good look with the durability of my bar tape so far. This summer I did ride in a down pour and I had to lock my bike up outside so my bar tape was completely saturated, it felt disgusting for 2 days. I am now switching to cork because bar tape is disposable and the brooks stuff isn't cutting it for me. I also don't like that it doesn't soak up any vibrations from the road, I ride with out gloves (when it isn't -30).

Dromen
03-19-2013, 07:17 AM
Had to return two different purchases of Brooks tape due to one tearing at splice and one Antique Brown so far off in color......

Handlebra all the way!

jmoore
03-19-2013, 08:26 AM
Ray, if you want to do a test with the non-waterproof leather, I'd be interested in doing the saddles if the leather meets the specs. There is certainly some appeal to the naturally aged leather look.

Should I try this ?

sc53
03-19-2013, 09:46 AM
I still have and use the original non-waterproof Handlebra on one of my bikes. I use some Proofide once a year or so and it still looks and feels fine. It was and remains black. So if you want to offer an improvement on this, for $60, I'd be very interested!

dave thompson
03-19-2013, 09:58 AM
I have some original 'Bra from many years ago that's still in use, I can't remember how many times it's been re-wrapped. I also have some of the 'new' HandleBra that's been in continuous use for two years a still looks real good!

firerescuefin
03-19-2013, 10:04 AM
3 years of use...numerous rewraps...no treatment....looks and works awesome. Kind of like a Honda or Toyota...not expensive in the long run and the aesthetic and performance surpasses what I had used in the past + I am supporting someone who has put a lot back into this forum. I try to support the supporters of this forum when possible...and especially when their stuff is best in class:)

Ahneida Ride
03-19-2013, 10:39 AM
Handlebar tape is an expendable part

The idea is to offer a superior wrap .... so it is NOT a consumable product.
It thus withstands use and abuse. One leather wrap equates to multiple changes
of normal tape. Thus the leather wrap is cost effective and adds not just
performance but value.

Integrated shifters and not period correct either.
Actually the majority of HB sales are to cyclists riding modern carbon bikes.
I'd be outa Bidness if I had to on sales to "legacy" (ha !) steel frames ..

Again ... my sincere and humble apologies about the price of HB.
It's expensive to create and I do have to make few frns.

bambam
03-19-2013, 02:38 PM
I have the honey brooks perforated tape on my distance bike since I got the levers in the right place, 3.5 years ago. I put a cut old tube underneath all my wraps. The only issue I have with the brooks is that when it rains or gets extremely wet the color transfers to my hands turning them a yellow-brown. I have moved them to other bars with no issue. The tape tend to stretch and contract where needed. ie, when I move it it holds the bumps from my cables but over time it will readjust(contract where needed). Because of the overlap the parts that sees my hands is darker and re-wraping is easier because of this. I alway ride with gloves and found the tape on the slick side at first and when wet. I like the fact that its non-beveled. It provided ridges to hold your hands and bar bags straps easier.

William
03-19-2013, 02:45 PM
3 years of use...numerous rewraps...no treatment....looks and works awesome. Kind of like a Honda or Toyota...not expensive in the long run and the aesthetic and performance surpasses what I had used in the past + I am supporting someone who has put a lot back into this forum. I try to support the supporters of this forum when possible...and especially when their stuff is best in class:)

And that's the truth!:)

William