PDA

View Full Version : Paul Minimoto Brakes

cbratina
03-16-2013, 06:39 PM
I was so hoping that the Paul Minimoto brakes would let me get rid of the travel agents I am using with my tandem's Ultegra St-6500 levers and Avid Ultimate linear pull brakes, but there was no where near enough travel. I was then shocked shocked that they would neither work with my Litespeed Blue Ridge with Dura Ace ST-7700 levers. No way they will work with these 9speed road levers even though Paul's says they will. I wasted my money and time trying them.

On the other hand, the Paul Neo Retro and Touring cantilevers work great on my Litespeed Blue Ridge with the Dura Ace ST-7700 levers.

handsomerob
03-16-2013, 09:47 PM
Funny you should post this... I just got some mini-v's (Tektro RX5) and have a theory that they only do well with a widish rim (eta.. depending on tire size in relation to the rim width). I can't set them up with both good leverage and enough clearance to pull a 32c tire out on a Mavic CXP30 without a tug o war. Plus fender clearance is questionable at best.

I really like the power but I don't think I like it enough to warrant not using a good canti.

false_Aest
03-16-2013, 10:36 PM
I was so hoping that the Paul Minimoto brakes would let me get rid of the travel agents I am using with my tandem's Ultegra St-6500 levers and Avid Ultimate linear pull brakes, but there was no where near enough travel. I was then shocked shocked that they would neither work with my Litespeed Blue Ridge with Dura Ace ST-7700 levers. No way they will work with these 9speed road levers even though Paul's says they will. I wasted my money and time trying them.

On the other hand, the Paul Neo Retro and Touring cantilevers work great on my Litespeed Blue Ridge with the Dura Ace ST-7700 levers.

why is it that I'm always suspicious of someone who randomly shows up on a forum and bad mouths a product (warranted or not)

ps. Yes, I see you joined the forum in Feb 2010 but 3 posts is 3 posts

Oregonic
03-17-2013, 12:04 AM

Well, I've got a set of Neo Retros to go with your 6500's as well. If you want to work out a partial trade for the Mini Motos, PM me and let's make a deal.

handsomerob
03-18-2013, 12:21 PM
why is it that I'm always suspicious of someone who randomly shows up on a forum and bad mouths a product (warranted or not)

ps. Yes, I see you joined the forum in Feb 2010 but 3 posts is 3 posts

Your post is of no value and not well thought out.

He isn't disparaging a brand because he using Paul for both types of brakes. He is probably posting what he did because like I, he has read about the benefits of mini-v's on the forum lately and is cautioning someone that is considering forking up $200+ for a set of brakes that they may not work for their specific application.

DRZRM
03-18-2013, 12:39 PM
I'd like a bit more info on the problems he's facing. DOes he not like how little rim clearance he is getting? If his rims are true, why does it matter? Mud build up? Is he racing cx? Is he trying to toe the pads in? Lot's of folks have trouble with the pads Paul ships those brakes with, but there are several choices that work better. I think f-A is just saying a new account set up that doesn't really critique the issued, but just blasts a popular product needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

For what it might be worth to the OP, there is a long thread on setting these brakes up, and the difficulties people are facing depending on the spacing of canti studs across the hall. And, for what it's worth, I started that thread after I had issues getting the pads centered on the rims on my Zanc. There are some real issues on some bikes, but they also work very well for many people. This critique just lacks some details.

Paul minimoto thread (http://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/f40/trouble-setting-up-paul-minimotos-29384.html)

Oregonic
03-18-2013, 06:00 PM
I too have these (RX-5) brakes. They've worked well for me on both narrower and wider rims with 6600 levers. It helped me to move the larger pad holder washers to the inside, so that the brake arms were more vertical. As far as rim clearance, yes, you need to set them close to the rim, but that's pretty much par for the course with any short pull mini v, as I understand it. To make wheel removal easier, I added a barrel adjuster when installing the brake, and I used a hacksaw to cut off about 1/2 of the nipple on the brake noodle that slots into the hinge on the opposing arm. I could then undo the brakes without any adjustment. If that's hard to envision, I can send pics if anyone's interested. The only tires I can't pull out really easily are 40mm Clement MSO's, but even those just require a little pop to get them in or out. I love the precision machining of the Paul Neo Retro, but for most of my riding, I just prefer the operation of mini V's.

Funny you should post this... I just got some mini-v's (Tektro RX5) and have a theory that they only do well with a widish rim (eta.. depending on tire size in relation to the rim width). I can't set them up with both good leverage and enough clearance to pull a 32c tire out on a Mavic CXP30 without a tug o war. Plus fender clearance is questionable at best.

I really like the power but I don't think I like it enough to warrant not using a good canti.

Oregonic
03-18-2013, 06:03 PM
And that wasn't sarcasm in my earlier post - if anyone here doesn't like their MiniMoto's and is interested in working out a trade deal for some Neo Retro's, let me know.

cbratina
03-20-2013, 11:30 AM
My problem with the Minimoto was not the pads, I love Kool Stop pads. It was that my 9 speed brake levers do not provide enough cable travel to avoid the lever bottoming out against the handlebar. I understand that the 10 speed levers carry more cable travel and so should work.

The Neo Retro's and Touring Cantilevers are EXCELLENT. But you do need cable hangers, and Paul's Funkey Monkeys add another 40 grams and $40 each. Very expensive, but well designed and functional. Frankly I think the asymmetrical look of the Minimoto is ugly.

donevwil
03-20-2013, 11:39 AM
My problem with the Minimoto was not the pads, I love Kool Stop pads. It was that my 9 speed brake levers do not provide enough cable travel to avoid the lever bottoming out against the handlebar. I understand that the 10 speed levers carry more cable travel and so should work.

The Neo Retro's and Touring Cantilevers are EXCELLENT. But you do need cable hangers, and Paul's Funkey Monkeys add another 40 grams and $40 each. Very expensive, but well designed and functional. Frankly I think the asymmetrical look of the Minimoto is ugly.

You need to set the brakes up with the pads closer to the rim as mentioned above. Less travel, no bottoming. It's the nature of linear pull mini-v's, pads run very close to the rim. It concerned me as well after initial installation, but has not been a problem. Strongest brakes I've ever used and freakishly easy to set-up.

I will agree with you that the asymmetry is not aesthetically pleasing and I'd really like the noodle to be swappable left to right, but relative to function these are minor issues to me.

Oregonic
03-20-2013, 11:41 AM

That partly depends on what generation 10sp levers you are using. Using Ultegra as an example, the 6600 10sp (1st gen) should be the same cable pull as the 6500 9sp. The pull ratio was changed on the 6700 10sp (2nd gen).

I agree about not being fond of the assymetrical look, but I like the spring configuration enough that I still want to try a pair.

cbratina
03-20-2013, 11:47 AM
The pads just barely cleared the rim, no room to adjust tighter, and the levers on both the Dura Ace ST-7700 and Ultegra St-6500 came too close to bottoming out.

donevwil
03-20-2013, 12:00 PM
The pads just barely cleared the rim, no room to adjust tighter, and the levers on both the Dura Ace ST-7700 and Ultegra St-6500 came too close to bottoming out.

I'm sorry, but something's wrong or being lost in translation. I'm not familiar with these Shimano levers, but any road lever prior to the new Shimanos have about the same pull which is far less than a hybrid or MTB lever. My install uses Campy ergo. I don't think it's the levers. Is your housing seating fully in the levers ? Did you wrap the bar tape before tensioning the brake cable ? Any amount of play or slop in the cable/housing will show up as extra stroke under load and disappear under no load.

that guy
03-20-2013, 12:06 PM

Have you let someone else work on them? I'm fairly certain they could be set up to work as intended with your setup, though perhaps not as you like.

cbratina
03-20-2013, 12:11 PM
I had been using Avid Ultimate Linear Pull brakes with a travel agent on the tandem and Paul Neo Retro/Touring Cantilevers on the Blue Ridge, both prior and subsequent to trying the Minimoto. They worked great with no bottoming out issue. The Neo Retro and Touring took very little lever travel. Did not change the cable or housing. So it is not the installation. My old Modolo tandem levers and the 10 speed Shimano levers have much more travel than the 9 speed Shimano.

christian
03-20-2013, 12:18 PM
Did not change the cable or housing. So it is not the installation.How is that possible? Mini-Vs require longer housing and longer cables than cantis, usually...

cbratina
03-20-2013, 12:31 PM
On the Avid Ultimates, the cable was long, curved down after the anchor. On the Touring Cantilever, an Avid half yoke was used. I just had to swap out the short piece of cable housing at the seatpost, and I was sure it was seated. I put a brake spring over the pads to pull it tight against the rim when I anchored the cable, pulled the lever tight, and loosened the anchor bolt till I had enough rim clearance.

559Rando
05-06-2015, 06:40 PM
Does anyone know how big a tire these Minimotos will handle? I wrote Paul and Mr. Price replied himself to say that the Panaracer Fire Cross 700 x 45 work. I'm thinking about big fat 26" slicks, like the 50mm 26" Schwalbe Kojak or the forecoming 55cm 26" Compass Rat Trap Pass. Anyone?