PDA

View Full Version : Campagnolo Wheel/Freehub Questions...

buldogge
03-15-2013, 08:41 PM
Hey guys...Am I correct that a Shimano free-hubbed Campy Zonda simply requires the Campy freehub swapped on, and does not require any re-dishing or other tomfoolery???

Also, will the freehub from an orphan Proton rear I have (17mm OS axle) fit the Zonda for the swap?

TIA
-Mark in St. Louis

vqdriver
03-15-2013, 09:17 PM
If its the same as eurus you should be fine. I never redished when swapping back and forth.
Can't speak to the tomfoolery.

buldogge
03-15-2013, 09:29 PM
Thanx...Newer Zondas are a lot like steel spoked Eurus...I think post 2007 they all share the same OS axle.

OP once mentioned a difference between pre- and post-2007 OS axles, but the earlier FH fits the later axle...so...I should be set regardless of what year my Protons are...

I think.

-Mark

If its the same as eurus you should be fine. I never redished when swapping back and forth.
Can't speak to the tomfoolery.

oldpotatoe
03-16-2013, 06:36 AM
Hey guys...Am I correct that a Shimano free-hubbed Campy Zonda simply requires the Campy freehub swapped on, and does not require any re-dishing or other tomfoolery???

Also, will the freehub from an orphan Proton rear I have (17mm OS axle) fit the Zonda for the swap?

TIA
-Mark in St. Louis

That is correct.

Aluminum axles changed I think in 2007. They became lobed and the Campag freehub bodies changed so that one piece ones fit onto the lobed axles but not the non lobed ones. Campag produced, shimano compatible FH bodies fit on all axles. Older Campagnolo FH bodies DO fit onto lobed axles.

They changed to a one piece FH body because some split, with the pawl carrier screwed into the FH body.

buldogge
03-16-2013, 07:47 AM
Thanx Peter...

I couldn't pass up on the deal, so I went to bed hoping my Proton FH would fit...I was pretty sure I remembered you saying this before.

Hopefully I can find someone who wants to trade A Campy FH body for a brand new Shimano compatible FH body...or maybe I'll sell a Shimano compatible Proton, I suppose!

TA
-Mark

That is correct.

Aluminum axles changed I think in 2007. They became lobed and the Campag freehub bodies changed so that one piece ones fit onto the lobed axles but not the non lobed ones. Campag produced, shimano compatible FH bodies fit on all axles. Older Campagnolo FH bodies DO fit onto lobed axles.

They changed to a one piece FH body because some split, with the pawl carrier screwed into the FH body.