PDA

View Full Version : what's wrong with ritchey breakaway?

vqdriver
03-15-2013, 04:55 PM
i haven't read anything negative about the ritchey coupling system but only some framebuilders offer it in addition to the s&s system. s&s couplings seem to be regarded quite highly even tho the ritchey system is less obtrusive and costs less. no hate, but a mention of the ritchey coupling tends to get a ho hum response.

i get that it cannot be retrofitted to your existing frame, but why don't more builders offer it from the get go? if anything, since they're installed towards the middle of the tubes, i would think s&s puts more restrictions on the tubes and butting used.

pbarry
03-15-2013, 05:16 PM
I can't speak to the lack of popularity of the Breakaway system. S&S couplers do seem to be placed past the butted ends in most of the retrofits I've seen. Guessing that the coupler itself acts as another butted section, so the frame is not compromised.

rugbysecondrow
03-15-2013, 05:19 PM
I didn't like it. Two painted ends contacting one another. Also, I didn't like the small coupler at the base of the ST.

I can't speak from a builders perspective but I really like the S and S better. it seems more secure, no bits and pieces to loose, almost nothing that could break. A more stable system for a long term bike.

Len J
03-15-2013, 05:30 PM
I didn't like it. Two painted ends contacting one another. Also, I didn't like the small coupler at the base of the ST.

I can't speak from a builders perspective but I really like the S and S better. it seems more secure, no bits and pieces to loose, almost nothing that could break. A more stable system for a long term bike.

I had the same reaction after seeing both.

The other thought is economic.....what does ritchey charge the builder compared to what he can charge? Travel bikes are a subset of the market. A builder needs to make enough on it to make it worthwhile for him/her.

Ymmv

Len

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

joosttx
03-15-2013, 05:33 PM
Igleheart uses the Ritchey breakaway system. For what it's worth.

mvrider
03-15-2013, 05:55 PM
See Holland:
http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/nahbs-2013-holland-cycles--36553/

and others:
Sycip, Curtlo, Hunter...

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/cyclocross/ritchie-breakaway-custom-86973.html

Kirk007
03-15-2013, 10:34 PM
long time ago I had a builder express concern about long term durability of the coupling system and expressing a clear preference for S&S. Now he built alot of tandems which may add additional stress (just guessing) but in any event I've gone S&S and never had a reason to look back.

eddief
03-15-2013, 10:43 PM
that if you are concerned about getting the bike in a case that is under the 62" airline limit, then some bigger frames done with Ritchey couplers will not fit in that size case. Part of the miracle of the S&S sysem is where the couplers are fitted in the top and down tubes. That may make a difference in whether your big bike can break into the two halves that fit in the 62 case.

On the other hand, there does not seem to be much annecdotal about real issues with the slightly oversize R case, so maybe much ado about nothing.

The S&S seems a bit more robust overall, but not big deal.

hokoman
03-15-2013, 11:20 PM
I have both the breakaway system and the s and s. I like both, and they work equally well in my opinion. The downside of the s and s is needing the wrench, the downside of the Ritchie's is that I feel that the bolts on the top of the seat tub section will loosen (nothing factual) and that you have to use an aluminum post. The breakaway is probably a cheaper option.. The s and s upgrade on my bike was almost half the price of the frame and fork of the Ritchie's if I remember correctly.

weisan
03-16-2013, 05:11 AM
Nuthin'

Both systems get the job done and fulfill their intended purpose.

Case closed.

jpw
03-16-2013, 05:26 AM
Nuthin'

Case closed.

...but not the thread I'm sure.

Try my thread;:)

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=126255

Bruce K
03-16-2013, 05:34 AM
My recollection is that there are licensing issues if you want to build with the Ritchey system

S&S you just buy the couplers and build

BK

jpw
03-16-2013, 05:51 AM
My recollection is that there are licensing issues if you want to build with the Ritchey system

S&S you just buy the couplers and build

BK

the closed model always loses out to the open source model in the end.

I prefer BTC2.

rugbysecondrow
03-16-2013, 06:00 AM
Nuthin'

Case closed.

Just like all shoes cover the bottom of your feet, but some do it better.

As an aside, two of the things I have liked about the S and S:

1) The coupler on the TT is perfect for leaning your bike against things when riding.

2) i think the couplers looks nice.

jpw
03-16-2013, 06:07 AM

http://www.cyclefit.co.uk/serotta-coeur-dacier

http://serotta.com/bicycles/viaggio-se/

which do you prefer?

oldpotatoe
03-16-2013, 06:16 AM
Igleheart uses the Ritchey breakaway system. For what it's worth.

So does Nobilette.

It is a good design, made at one of the very good factories in Asia. One thing that Ritchey does a lot of is monitor his manufacturing so that the product is what he wants.

I think a frame/fork/headset and case at $1300 or so compares very favorably to a S&S addition, which is close to the same $ to be added to a steel frame(work, couplers and case), and you have to add the $ for the frame. They both work, and as has been mentioned, a pretty small subset of the bicycle market.

zap
03-16-2013, 07:59 AM
I know two strong and very fast riders with skillz that have Ritchey Breakaway bikes in their inventory.

No complaints from either and one Ritchey is several years old.

witcombusa
03-16-2013, 08:10 AM
Absolutely nothing wrong with the Ritchey system. My Breakaway Cross has seen some "very challenging" terrain and works fantastic.
(now 7 years old)

No worries at all! :banana:

AngryScientist
03-16-2013, 08:15 AM
my guess would be because the S&S system is less obtrusive into the design of the bike. nothing to think about or change, build the bike absolutely the same way as a normal non-travel bike, then hack out the 3 inches or whatever and burn in the couplings.

witcombusa
03-16-2013, 08:23 AM
So does Nobilette.

The breakaway system I saw from Mark was different than what Ritchey uses. At least on the first example of a takedown Herse he had made and brought down to Cirque.

His used a double pin system engaging slots for the downtube coupling (instead of Ritchey's double flange with the collar sys. (The seat post going through the TT/ST interface was similar though). As with all of Marks' work, it was beautifully thought out and executed.

93legendti
03-16-2013, 08:37 AM
I had one. I thought it rode really, really nicely. The road geometry didn't work for me, so I sold it. If it had fit, I would still be riding it.

rugbysecondrow
03-16-2013, 09:15 AM
http://www.cyclefit.co.uk/serotta-coeur-dacier

http://serotta.com/bicycles/viaggio-se/

which do you prefer?

The TI one...mainly because I think the other is junky looking (law of diminishing returns applies to that bike IMO).

Of course I am partial to mine: http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=86754&highlight=bedford :)

rugbysecondrow
03-16-2013, 09:19 AM
I had one. I thought it rode really, really nicely. The road geometry didn't work for me, so I sold it. If it had fit, I would still be riding it.

The Geometry of the one I had didn't work well either, but due to that it was hard to say that it rode nicely.

This has been hashed out before, but mine was the larger (62 I think) so I think there are some compromises made that just didn't work well for me. Also, it felt noodly. Just my experience, not not related directly to the coupling system.

I would take either of the two, but I like the S and S.

I will say, I think the Curtlo with the Ritchy system is one hell of a deal for a custom built travel bike. $990 + $235 for the option....SHWEET.

http://www.curtlo.com/pricing.html

oldpotatoe
03-16-2013, 10:54 AM
The breakaway system I saw from Mark was different than what Ritchey uses. At least on the first example of a takedown Herse he had made and brought down to Cirque.

His used a double pin system engaging slots for the downtube coupling (instead of Ritchey's double flange with the collar sys. (The seat post going through the TT/ST interface was similar though). As with all of Marks' work, it was beautifully thought out and executed.

The one I saw was 4-5 years ago on a Nobilette, not the frames he makes for Cone.

oldpotatoe
03-16-2013, 10:56 AM
my guess would be because the S&S system is less obtrusive into the design of the bike. nothing to think about or change, build the bike absolutely the same way as a normal non-travel bike, then hack out the 3 inches or whatever and burn in the couplings.

Maybe a frame builder will chime in but pretty sure they(Moots/Waterford) install the coupler in a tube, then build the frame..when S&S from the ground up.

witcombusa
03-16-2013, 11:47 AM
The one I saw was 4-5 years ago on a Nobilette, not the frames he makes for Cone.

Hey, that was right after Mike Kone and I visited his shop with me on my Break-Away.....;)

roydyates
03-16-2013, 12:18 PM

I was at Bilenky a few weeks ago looking at the bikes in the S&S chop queue. Sveral bikes had the TT chopped. The width of the cut was small. According to the guy at Bilenky who makes the cuts, it's just 35mm, or about 1 3/8 inches.

Flying Pigeon
03-16-2013, 02:37 PM
I've got both an S&S conversion and a Breakaway. The S&S packs a little bit smaller, but both work great. The Ritchey will start to creak if I go too long without greasing the interface with the clamps. No big deal and it's been a great bike.

tiretrax
03-16-2013, 04:19 PM
I've ridden both and preferred the s&s. It felt more stable, IMHO. Others may not feel the difference.

fogrider
03-17-2013, 03:35 PM
Just like all shoes cover the bottom of your feet, but some do it better.

As an aside, two of the things I have liked about the S and S:

1) The coupler on the TT is perfect for leaning your bike against things when riding.

1. I lean my bike with the seat touching things...better grip.
2. I think my bikes look fine with a coupler. While the shiny couplers look fine as couplers go, but as part of a bike frame, the word clunky comes to mind.

I have a ritchey road frame that I've used as a weekly rider as well as travel. I've seen a custom builder use the ritchey coupler and after a few years of service, the weld at the bb failed. the joint is tight and the tig weld just was not enough. the coupling was fine.

no doubt the s&s coupling is stronger, but adds a pound to the frame, the ritchey adds 100 grams. I know many will say a pound is not a big deal, but on a steel bike that already weighs 4 plus pounds, another pound is 25% more.

rugbysecondrow
03-17-2013, 07:46 PM
1. I lean my bike with the seat touching things...better grip.
2. I think my bikes look fine with a coupler. While the shiny couplers look fine as couplers go, but as part of a bike frame, the word clunky comes to mind.

I have a ritchey road frame that I've used as a weekly rider as well as travel. I've seen a custom builder use the ritchey coupler and after a few years of service, the weld at the bb failed. the joint is tight and the tig weld just was not enough. the coupling was fine.

no doubt the s&s coupling is stronger, but adds a pound to the frame, the ritchey adds 100 grams. I know many will say a pound is not a big deal, but on a steel bike that already weighs 4 plus pounds, another pound is 25% more.

I weigh 220 #, what you say means nothing really when it comes to weight savings. The S and S is just a more substantial system. Whether that means better is for the purchaser to decide, but it mattered to me. I have owned both and the Ritchey just felt cheap and not solid. It may be false, but opinions are reality when it comes to purchases. Confidence matters in when it comes to bikes.

As to the nuts and bolts, putting the two frames together was different. The Ritchey system was harder to assemble than the S and S. When traveling, that actually does matter.

RonW87
03-18-2013, 09:49 AM
I'm happy with my Ritchey Breakaway in a size 60cm. I bought it used so it was pretty inexpensive. No issues with the couplers creaking or feeling loose. Works OK. Reasonably light.

A couple of thing to note: 1. the cable splitters knock against the frame sometimes. I put rubber washers around them so it doesn't chip the paint, but I still hear them hitting on rough pavement. 2. In size 60cm, the frame is a little flexy.

I haven't actually broken the bike down to travel with it yet. Will do so in May.

Ron