PDA

View Full Version : Portland bike share delayed

fiamme red
03-15-2013, 01:07 PM
I was surprised that Portland chose Alta after all their problems in NYC, Chicago, S.F., Chattanooga, etc. But as usual, it's all about political conections:

"According to Alta President—and former City of Portland bike program manager— Mia Birk..."

Alta Bicycle Share's motto should be: "You can count on us to overpromise and underperform!"

http://blogtown.portlandmercury.com/BlogtownPDX/archives/2013/03/14/waiting-on-bike-share-its-at-least-a-year-away-and-heres-why

pavel
03-15-2013, 01:15 PM
what *will* the people of portland do now.

BumbleBeeDave
03-15-2013, 02:32 PM
There's so few bikes there already.

BBD

charliedid
03-15-2013, 05:59 PM
^ this

pbarry
03-15-2013, 06:45 PM
B-cycle has been operational in Denver and Boulder for several years, with a few hick-ups in the beginning. This is first winter they've been available in Boulder. Judging by the inventory that varies daily at the different kiosks, the program looks like it's a success.

oldpotatoe
03-16-2013, 07:10 AM
B-cycle has been operational in Denver and Boulder for several years, with a few hick-ups in the beginning. This is first winter they've been available in Boulder. Judging by the inventory that varies daily at the different kiosks, the program looks like it's a success.

The CEO of Boulder's program comes in all the time. They were in financial trouble early on since they depend on Fed $, but that got reinstated so they are doin' OK. NOT sure about other programs but these do not pay for themselves.

76 degrees yesterday in the republic, weather good for the above but rain today.

pbarry
03-16-2013, 07:03 PM
The CEO of Boulder's program comes in all the time. They were in financial trouble early on since they depend on Fed $, but that got reinstated so they are doin' OK. NOT sure about other programs but these do not pay for themselves.

76 degrees yesterday in the republic, weather good for the above but rain today.

It can be officially said that your customers run the full spectrum--from T Phinney to Mr. B-cycle. :)

oldpotatoe
03-17-2013, 06:40 AM
It can be officially said that your customers run the full spectrum--from T Phinney to Mr. B-cycle. :)

Ms. B Cycle.

I'm working on a 1973 or so Gitane Monday, that needs to be made safe. Before that, I built a cannondale with 9070, Di2 11s.

I see it all...we are in the biz of making bikes work, not just sell new ones, unlike just about every other bike shop in the republic. I work on more serotta's than the serotta dealer.

Plus building a lot of wheels right now, getting ready for the season. Even some tubulars for those who are tired of having their clinchers come off when they flat.

Ahneida Ride
03-17-2013, 10:27 AM
Fed frns = work done by taxpayer :eek:

oldpotatoe
03-18-2013, 06:20 AM
Fed frns = work done by taxpayer :eek:

Whatever that means. When you sell some of your bartape, do you take alternative forms of payment? Barter?