PDA

View Full Version : Source for exact spoke quantities?

keevon
03-15-2013, 07:05 AM
Curious if there's a source out there for ordering a limited numbers of spokes in the lengths that I need. I used to have access to a Phil spoke cutter, but no more. I really hate buying a box of 50 pre-cut spokes and using less than half of them.

Thanks!

rice rocket
03-15-2013, 07:09 AM
www.bikehubstore.com

Good guy out of North Carolina.

Danscomp.com has more options if you can't find it there, but you have to call, their site lists like 1% of what they stock.

Or just post up here? I know I have a couple bundles lying around. 278mm CX rays, a few 273mm and 275mm Lasers. I'll have some used DT Aerolites soon too since I'm recycling the hub onto a different rim, not sure what lengths yet though.

Grant McLean
03-15-2013, 07:16 AM
Um, a bike shop? Or am I out if touch?

AngryScientist
03-15-2013, 07:24 AM

depending on where he lives, you may be way out of touch.

oldpotatoe

How dare you!!

Yep, some bike shops have spokes on hand, like lots of them, who build lots of wheels......

AngryScientist
pretty sure you can order whatever you want from prowheelbuilder.com too.

keevon
It's been my experience that shops usually have to special order spokes, since they rarely have the correct lengths and quantities left over from other builds. If they special order a box of spokes, they want you to buy the whole box.

For various reasons, I won't deal with the two shops in my area that happen to have a spoke cutter.

zandrrr
03-15-2013, 07:35 AM
Danscomp.com has more options if you can't find it there, but you have to call, their site lists like 1% of what they stock.

I get my spokes from Dan's, which is also my LBS. They cut them to the exact lengths I need. My mechanic wants dimensions to the nearest tenth of a millimeter so he can get them perfect.

oldpotatoe
03-15-2013, 07:39 AM
I get my spokes from Dan's, which is also my LBS. They cut them to the exact lengths I need. My mechanic wants dimensions to the nearest tenth of a millimeter so he can get them perfect.

Really?

Spokes stretch more than that when building. Ya sure it's not to the nearest millimeter?

DT and Sapim spokes are plus or minus 1mm when new.

zandrrr
03-15-2013, 07:43 AM
Really?

Spokes stretch more than that when building. Ya sure it's not to the nearest millimeter?

DT and Sapim spokes are plus or minus 1mm when new.

I'm not saying having them that precise makes any difference, especially with my wheel building skill, but he absolutely does try to cut them to the nearest tenth. He's a bit of a perfectionist. (A great quality for a mechanic IMO.)

phcollard
03-15-2013, 08:00 AM
BikeHubStore :)

Great guy!

ergott
03-15-2013, 08:14 AM
http://www.alchemybicycleworks.com/

Okay his website sucks. This is the Alchemy that makes the hubs. He will sell spokes to order.

Reforminded
03-15-2013, 08:58 AM
http://www.alchemybicycleworks.com/

Okay his website sucks. This is the Alchemy that makes the hubs. He will sell spokes to order.

+1....good folks to deal with and they have a great choice of spokes and nipples that they will sell in any quantity.

Also worth calling Peter White (http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/)....I have bought exact quantities from him and he almost always has the size needed (or can cut them to whatever you need).

tmf
03-15-2013, 09:08 AM
I still build wheels with box section tubular rims, and it's getting harder to find the right length spokes (302) in stock. I just built up a few wheels, and it took me a while to get enough spokes going to several sources (I was able to get just a few from my LBS's).

One place I used for Sapim spokes was thorusa.com

Another is pandorawheels.com (limited selection of spokes, but available in exact quantities)

oldpotatoe
03-15-2013, 10:04 AM
I'm not saying having them that precise makes any difference, especially with my wheel building skill, but he absolutely does try to cut them to the nearest tenth. He's a bit of a perfectionist. (A great quality for a mechanic IMO.)

I guess my point is with the 2 shop level spoke threaders I know, Phil and Morizumi, neither are in the .1mm range.

Plus DT makes up to 305..so 302 'should' be easy, if the shop actually builds wheels. Decent shops that build wheels have like 258 thru 305, Comps, about the same for black Comps...almost the same for silver and black Revs.