PDA

View Full Version : crazy cheap wheels..

shinomaster
11-16-2005, 04:15 PM
I have read really good reviews of these...same as performance Titan..and made by Neuvation, and the same as their r-28 aero something or other... Not super light but there are super turbo cheap and I am getting some for riding all winter in the rain.. I feel bad grinding down my good rims all the time in the mud and junk..You can't hardly even get two rims for $89. Am I crazy?
http://www.supergo.com/profile.cfm?LPROD_ID=25583

alembical
11-16-2005, 04:20 PM
Shino,
My only thoughts are that while those might be cheap, they might be too cheap. They look (albeit in a very small picture) to be similar to some Alex wheels that I had. To say the least, those wheels did not hold up and I was lucky to not go down when 2 spokes broke. Can't you find Open Pros with 105 hubs for ~$150 or so?

Alembical

shinomaster
11-16-2005, 04:24 PM
Alex is a different company...Neuvation seems to make sturdy wheels...I don't abuse wheels either with my little motor.

shinomaster
11-16-2005, 04:32 PM
http://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/wheels/wheelsets/Weyless/PRD_174357_2490crx.aspx

these reviews could all have been written by supergo I guess...But hell they are just for rain rides..my Campy wheels are just too nice to ride all winter..ha ha..

Too Tall
11-17-2005, 06:58 AM
Junk
Browse biketrashbar and perf. for sale wheels and you'll give the same dollar for conventional spoked / rim wheels.

ergott
11-17-2005, 08:22 AM
I have read really good reviews of these...same as performance Titan..and made by Neuvation, and the same as their r-28 aero something or other... Not super light but there are super turbo cheap and I am getting some for riding all winter in the rain.. I feel bad grinding down my good rims all the time in the mud and junk..You can't hardly even get two rims for $89. Am I crazy?
http://www.supergo.com/profile.cfm?LPROD_ID=25583

Alembical makes a good point. Cheap is not worth going down hard for (did I really just say that???). If they hold up then even I can't argue against something that cheap. Even if they last one season, you got your money's worth. Just be sure to put them in the recycling bin instead of the landfill. Who knows, maybe they will hold up a little longer. Just don't make them commuter wheels. You don't want to risk getting to work late with a wheel breakdown. If I didn't have the wheels I already have I would even consider them at that price for a junker bike to take to the supermarket.

Too Tall
11-17-2005, 09:33 AM
Dewd...you did say that.
Aww come on. The (gag) big mail order houses are blowing out $90 wheesets 32 cross with cheap Shimano 2200 hubs and CXP22s. I'd feel better knowing....just saying. Not that there is anything wrong with min. count high tension wheels that go boing in the night :rolleyes:

huey
11-17-2005, 10:21 AM
I bought these wheels a year ago as a cheap pair of training wheels. 3,000 miles later they are still true and I have had no issues with them. Theey are a little on the heavy side but they just keep rolling. The bearings on them are very good and they are relatively stiff. I would reccomend them in a heartbeat, especially for the price. For the record I am 6'3" and weigh 225.

huey

shinomaster
11-18-2005, 12:29 PM
I bought these wheels a year ago as a cheap pair of training wheels. 3,000 miles later they are still true and I have had no issues with them. Theey are a little on the heavy side but they just keep rolling. The bearings on them are very good and they are relatively stiff. I would reccomend them in a heartbeat, especially for the price. For the record I am 6'3" and weigh 225.

huey

Great!!! I can't wait!! Heavy rims will make me stronger.