PDA

View Full Version : OT: A healthy breakfast cereal?

2wheelwill
03-14-2013, 11:50 AM
I'm getting old and need a healthier breakfast cereal. Has anyone found a healthy cereal (low sugar, decent fiber) that doesn't taste like bark. Or maybe an alternative to cereal???

plugkev
03-14-2013, 11:51 AM
Costco has Kashi Crunch that is pretty good

holliscx
03-14-2013, 11:56 AM
If you want healthy, tasty Dorset Cereals are hors categorie - Whole Foods stocks them in the US and while they're not cheap if you eat a modest portion w/ fresh fruit and juice a box will last longer than wolfing sugar cereal.

http://www.dorsetcereals.co.uk/

ckamp
03-14-2013, 12:02 PM
My favorite, eaten with almond milk. Tasty good.

http://us.naturespath.com/product/optimum-powerr-blueberry-cinnamon-flax-cereal

You do have to adapt to these type of cereals though, if you have been eating lucky charms for 30 years then your in for a change!

BlackTiBob
03-14-2013, 12:06 PM
1. steel cut oats. The best option. Much better than the quick oats.
It does take about 25-30 mins to cook thru but you can work around that.
I start the night before--boil water, add oats, turn off heat and cover.
In the morning it then only needs about 8 mins to finish.
Much better tasting than any quick oat and better for you as
it has ALL the oat nutrients.
Some cook up a big batch and then have it refrigerated for later use.
You can add raisins, strawberries, blueberries, brown sugar, cinammon,
etc to your liking.

2. for lazy mornings, 2 1/2 minute Cream of Wheat. Better than quick
cooking versions.

Puget Pounder
03-14-2013, 12:11 PM
I love plain oatmeal. SUper easy and quick to make it into something delicious and healthy. Add milk, brown sugar, nuts, fruit... Lots of things you can do!

The same goes for crappy "bark" cereal for me. I like having control in the things that I put in my food.

thwart
03-14-2013, 12:13 PM
steel cut oats. The best option. Much better than the quick oats.
It does take about 25-30 mins to cook thru but you can work around that.

This.

MadRocketSci
03-14-2013, 12:15 PM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m1vdwfinvl1r7mu2qo1_500.jpg

or malt o meal....mix with some milk, water in a bowl, microwave 30 secs, stir, microwave 30 secs, stir, let sit a few minutes, add a little bit of brown sugar. very filling.

br995
03-14-2013, 12:16 PM
Kashi has an awful lot of sugar in it.

My go to is a muesli with berries (dried, frozen, fresh, doesn't matter) and sometimes banana (though often eaten separately). I usually and some sort of 'filler' cereal to make it less dense and oatmeal-like - generic cheerios or corn flakes typically, but you could put in whatever 'bark-like' cereal you want, since the flavor is in the muesli.

You could also switch between flavored soy, rice, or almond milks to give it more flavor, but a lot of those have high sugar content too.

Andrewlcox
03-14-2013, 12:19 PM
For 4 years now I have been eating 1/2 cup of walnuts, 2 tablespoons of local honey, 1 banana and full fat plain yogurt. It carries me for at least 6 hours and I crave it if I don't get it while on a trip an vacation.

Just a suggestion to cereal.

Louis
03-14-2013, 12:21 PM
My favorite, eaten with almond milk. Tasty good.

http://us.naturespath.com/product/optimum-powerr-blueberry-cinnamon-flax-cereal

You do have to adapt to these type of cereals though, if you have been eating lucky charms for 30 years then your in for a change!

+1 on the Nature's Path cereals.

I like the "Mesa Sunrise" and one other whose name escapes me. I also toss in some granola and dried cranberries to liven things up.

jmoore
03-14-2013, 12:22 PM
I agree about steel cut oats. They are the best. But I'm lazy so here is my go-to breakfast during the week. I have all this at my desk and it "cooks" by just adding hot water from the coffee station.

1/2c quick oats
small handful nuts
small handful raisins or craisins
1 packet half-half
raw honey
cinnamon
1/2 scoop protein powder - optional

Dump it all into a cup, add hot water, stir. Much better than that packaged stuff. And you can mix it in whatever combo you feel like for the day.

Dead simple.

keevon
03-14-2013, 12:24 PM
Another vote for steel cut oats, especially the "overnight" method. For variety, you can substitute well-rinsed quinoa for up to half of the oats.

Fun fact: this works well for bike camping too. Bring the oats to a boil the night before, put the cook pot somewhere the critters can't get to it, then heat and eat the next morning while you tear down camp. Nuts and berries make it a very satisfying breakfast.

PQJ
03-14-2013, 12:24 PM
This conversation should start and end with Hot + Fit cereals from earnest eats (earnesteats.com). You might need to add some honey if you have a sweet tooth.

druptight
03-14-2013, 12:25 PM
+1 on the steel cut oats. If you make 1 cup on Sunday evening, it's about 4 servings, and you've got M-Th covered. Just add a few drops of milk and toss in the microwave, add in your additives of choice and you're good to go.

tmf
03-14-2013, 12:29 PM
+1 on the Nature's Path cereals.

I like the "Mesa Sunrise" and one other whose name escapes me. I also toss in some granola and dried cranberries to liven things up.

+2 on the Nature's Path. One of my stepsons can't have any sugar, and he eats the Nature's Path corn flakes which are sweetened with fruit juice. It's pricey. We buy the bags at Whole Foods for $8 (32oz bag I think). It's a little lower priced on Amazon.

Also, the Kashi Whole Grain Puffs cereal has no sugar, but tastes like unflavored rice cakes. He wasn't keen on that one.

flydhest
03-14-2013, 12:33 PM
So, a bit adrift because it isn't cereal, but I have been doing "green smoothies" for several months now with my wife since we got our Vitamix.

Apple, greens (kale or spinach), beet, lemon juice. Adding yogurt (we do Greek style) makes it heartier. Ginger root adds a nice zing.

Healthy and lots of fiber.

Tony T
Quaker Oats, 2˝ min in microwave, then add dried cherries. Quick & Easy.

Fishbike
+1 on the steel cut oats. If you make 1 cup on Sunday evening, it's about 4 servings, and you've got M-Th covered. Just add a few drops of milk and toss in the microwave, add in your additives of choice and you're good to go.

Yup. That's what I do. Spend a little time making a big giant bowl on Sunday and have it througout the week. I add whatever fruit and nuts I have and will often add honey or maple syrup. I once experimented with dark chocolate covered raisins. Chocolate oatmeal is not the best thing in the world, but not the worst either.

slidey
03-14-2013, 12:36 PM
Fage fat-free Greek Yogurt + Kashi GoLean cereal + honey

On a related note: Have any of you tried cold Oats mixed in Greek Yogurt? I ask because I very much dislike having anything hot, and the idea of making Oats the previous night and storing it in fridge is a bit too much investment.

xanderssor
03-14-2013, 12:37 PM
Rolled oats/nutz/dried fruit/flax/chia seeds/honey/peanut butter.... as you will....add milk let soak together overnight in the fridge. excellent raw breakfast, my sis ate it in often sweden hence swedish oatmeal...

Likes2ridefar
03-14-2013, 12:38 PM
if you go the cook your own oats root which is a heck of a lot cheaper and more likely to be better quality than most cereals available from a box...

i like to add a nut butter of some sort, some dried fruit, and cinnamon/nutmeg/clove, etc and a little honey to make it nice and sweet!

Likes2ridefar
03-14-2013, 12:42 PM
another option is to get a dehydrator and make your own granola, and many other tasty treats like dried apples, beef jerky, etc.

Again, it ends up costing you a LOT less in the long run and it's really easy to make in less than 12 hours.

Likes2ridefar
03-14-2013, 12:43 PM
Rolled oats/nutz/dried fruit/flax/chia seeds/honey/peanut butter.... as you will....add milk let soak together overnight in the fridge. excellent raw breakfast, my sis ate it in often sweden hence swedish oatmeal...

i love this. it kept me alive racing in asia last year although i had to use orange juice since milk wasn't readily available.

OJ is really nice too.

xanderssor
03-14-2013, 12:47 PM
another option is to get a dehydrator and make your own granola, and many other tasty treats like dried apples, beef jerky, etc.

Again, it ends up costing you a LOT less in the long run and it's really easy to make in less than 12 hours.

You can even make it in the oven on a low temp. Crisps up nice that way

dawgie
03-14-2013, 12:56 PM
Another steel-cut oats fan. I also start mine the night before so they only need to be heated up in the morning. I usually add chopped pecans and dried fruits (raisins, cherries, cranberries or whatever we have on hand).

I also eat a lot of boxed dry cereals and like Special K with red berries, Quaker Oatmeal Squares, and Chocolate Cheerios with fresh raspberries. I always use Almond Breeze (no sugar added variety) instead of milk. Most of the cereals I buy a relatively high fiber but Kashi was like Colon-Blow for me.

Likes2ridefar
03-14-2013, 12:57 PM
You can even make it in the oven on a low temp. Crisps up nice that way

yes it works but not as efficiently. there is no air flow in most ovens, and the temperature usually isn't as consistent or accurate. it also uses a lot more energy in most cases unless you can get away with using a pilot light as your heat source.

ckamp
03-14-2013, 01:06 PM
make sure the oats are steel cut, all other cuts are not good for you... :)

MattTuck
03-14-2013, 01:06 PM
fluffy ruffs!

Ralph
03-14-2013, 01:42 PM
Fiber One for me. No added sugar. 14 grams insoluable fiber each serving (and who eats just one serving). Bland but adding raisins and other fruits help with taste. I want no sugar in my cereal. Get enough sugar from the added fruit. Also don't drink sugar water....AKA orange juce or other fruit juces. Most of these cereals some think of as being "healthy" and good tasting are loaded with sugar. Diabetes kills.....even if you get the cereal from Whole Foods. Love oat meal.....but how much fiber do you get in most versions? I usually eat oat meal for dinner.....when I'm not after fiber.

Also like All Bran....but it has sugar added. Mixing All Bran and Fiber One helps with taste. And you get the fiber. I'm 71.....need the fiber. Other stuff many mention....either no or not enough fiber. When you get old.....you'll understand. Sometimes eat a boiled egg, plain bread, or yogurt with cereal also. Always some fruit.

Likes2ridefar
03-14-2013, 01:48 PM
Fiber One for me. No added sugar. 14 grams insoluable fiber each serving (and who eats just one serving). Bland but adding raisins and other fruits help with taste. I want no sugar in my cereal. Get enough sugar from the added fruit. Also don't drink sugar water....AKA orange juce or other fruit juces. Most of these cereals some think of as being "healthy" and good tasting are loaded with sugar. Diabetes kills.....even if you get the cereal from Whole Foods. Love oat meal.....but how much fiber do you get in most versions? I usually eat oat meal for dinner.....when I'm not after fiber.

Also like All Bran....but it has sugar added. Mixing All Bran and Fiber One helps with taste. And you get the fiber. I'm 71.....need the fiber. Other stuff many mention....either no or not enough fiber. When you get old.....you'll understand. Sometimes eat a boiled egg, plain bread, or yogurt with cereal also. Always some fruit.

steel cut oats have about half the fiber of your fiber one, servings being equal.

sorry to say but your fiber one is not a very good choice. check the ingredients list. you avoid sugar yet get aspartame.

it also has some other interesting ingredients that are known to be allowed by the FDA to act as riders for "hidden" ingredients which sometimes are harmless but others you'd never consider putting it inside you if you knew about their presence.

Ken Robb
03-14-2013, 01:51 PM
Since my parents were off-the-boat from Scotland I'm quite familiar with various kinds of oatmeal. Making a big pot to last several days is a good idea.

My wife has 1 minute oatmeal almost every morning. Twice I bought fancier steel cut varieties only to be told she prefers the quick stuff. Oh well.

I have been surprised when I read the nutritional info on various cold cereals. Kashi and other "healthy" cereals have more sugar than regular Cheerios AND sweetened Cheerios varieties. Also surprisingly low in sugar: Honey Bunches of Oats.

I know sugar is only one consideration but for me it is the most important.

fiamme red
03-14-2013, 01:52 PM
For cold cereal, I like Erewhon raisin bran* with whole milk or unsweetened almond milk.

* Ingredients: Wheat Kernels (organic), Raisins (organic), Salt Sea, Barley Malt (organic), Wheat Bran (organic)

jvp
03-14-2013, 01:59 PM
In the cooler seasons I eat oatmeal w/ fruit, nuts, etc. My wife makes granola and I'll add 1/4rth cup to my oats then cook. Warmer months I'll eat cold cereal w/ fruit - mostly a "neutral" cereal such as cheerios, corn flakes, etc. topped w/ a little speciality cereal plus some banana, strawberries, blueberries, peaches, whatever the farmer's market offers.

SpokeValley
03-14-2013, 02:04 PM
I like just about anything from Bob's Red Mill but my bride just got a sample of his gluten free Musli and it's danged good. Less than 5 on the stove; I add a little honey and greek yogurt, maybe some 'nanner, and I'm ready to roll. It's not cheap, but not too expensive but like our bikes...we go for quality, right?

http://www.bobsredmill.com/gluten-free-muesli.html?&cat=9

2wheelwill
03-14-2013, 02:23 PM
Wow, sounds like steel cut oats is a favorite…will check that out.

Does anyone blow-off breakfast food completely? I tried a turkey sandwiches for breakfast a couple of times a week and it seemed to work fine. Is there some nutritional reason we limit ourselves to cereal, yogurt and oats in the morning?

Thanks for all the suggestions!

biker72
03-14-2013, 02:28 PM
Old fashion Quaker Oats. Not the quick/instant kind. Add your fruit of choice. I add blueberrys.

Cold cereal choice Total Raisin Bran.

John H.
03-14-2013, 02:29 PM
How about a mix of rice and beans?
You can add a cut up hard boiled egg or cut up turkey to add osme more protein.

biker72
03-14-2013, 02:30 PM

Does anyone blow-off breakfast food completely? I tried a turkey sandwiches for breakfast a couple of times a week and it seemed to work fine. Is there some nutritional reason we limit ourselves to cereal, yogurt and oats in the morning?

My wife has been known to eat cold pizza for breakfast with a small Pepsi.

Ralph
03-14-2013, 03:04 PM
To the original question, lots of cereals OK for breakfast, especially as part of an overall good diet. From the Dr Mirkin website. For those who don't know....Doctor Mirkin is an avid cyclist and Sports medicine Doc. He puts out a weekly E letter about fitness for athletes. He's big on avoiding foods with sugar added in the diet.

http://www.drmirkin.com/nutrition/N180.htm

torquer
03-14-2013, 03:14 PM
I like just about anything from Bob's Red Mill but my bride just got a sample of his gluten free Musli and it's danged good. Less than 5 on the stove; I add a little honey and greek yogurt, maybe some 'nanner, and I'm ready to roll. It's not cheap, but not too expensive but like our bikes...we go for quality, right?

http://www.bobsredmill.com/gluten-free-muesli.html?&cat=9
+1 on the Bobs RM, though I only have had the regular Muesli, which I don't see on their site anymore. Wonder if this is the same, with just a new label?
Whatever, don't even need to cook it, just mix with yogurt while the coffee's brewin' and you're good to go.

For you steel-cut oats fans, I learned during a recent discussion about rice cookers that they work for oatmeal as well; load everything the night before, the oatmeal soaks, and cooking time is reduced in the morning. If the cooker has a timer, even better!

torquer
03-14-2013, 03:15 PM
How about a mix of rice and beans?
You can add a cut up hard boiled egg or cut up turkey to add osme more protein.

If you're going that route, why not chorizo?

93legendti
03-14-2013, 03:21 PM
For 4 years now I have been eating 1/2 cup of walnuts, 2 tablespoons of local honey, 1 banana and full fat plain yogurt. It carries me for at least 6 hours and I crave it if I don't get it while on a trip an vacation.

Just a suggestion to cereal.

I eat a variation of this: Plain Fage Greek Yogurt, Manuka honey, Brazil nuts and/or walnuts and a peach or orange.

enr1co
03-14-2013, 03:41 PM
I do the Old Fashioned quick oats-the ones in the round tubs, not the sugar filled flavor variety packs.

Nuke 1/2 cup for a minute with some milk, add fruit, cinnamon and this works for me before AM rides.

Great thread- will have to give those steel cut oats a try...

Also found this web info FYI-

http://nutritiondiva.quickanddirtytips.com/are-steel-cut-oats-healthier.aspx

bcm119
03-14-2013, 03:43 PM
For cold cereal, I like Erewhon raisin bran* with whole milk or unsweetened almond milk.

* Ingredients: Wheat Kernels (organic), Raisins (organic), Salt Sea, Barley Malt (organic), Wheat Bran (organic)

Erewhon raisin bran is the best. I eat it every morning, and before weekend rides I add a banana and spoonful of honey.

Climb01742
03-14-2013, 03:50 PM
this...

http://www.amazon.com/Familia-Swiss-Muesli-Cereal-32-Ounce/dp/B0015Q94NM/ref=sr_1_2?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1363297725&sr=1-2&keywords=familia+cereal

the no added sugar version tastes great and a smaller amount is very filling.

jblande
03-14-2013, 04:02 PM
http://amzn.com/B001ELL3DM

velobaba
03-14-2013, 04:12 PM
Quinoa + home made almond milk with some sliced almonds (I love almonds!!), cocoa powder, sesame seeds, cranberries and organic honey.

Yummy!!

Louis
03-14-2013, 04:30 PM
What's so great about "steel cut" oats?

Last I checked it takes an eternity to cook them, and I'm not going to trade an additional hour of sleep for that, no matter how good the taste.

RkyMtn
03-14-2013, 05:07 PM
If you pour cow's milk on your cereal, you are better off not eating any cereal. Use coconut (the best) or almond milk. I switch off between the 2.

As for cereal, I have Celiac, so I am not in the position to recommend any cereals. But, my favorite in the past was Meuslix.

Louis
03-14-2013, 05:19 PM
Use coconut (the best) or almond milk. I switch off between the 2.

I'm not sure what coconut milk you drink, but it's loaded with fat, nearly all of it saturated fat.

Soy milk nutritional info (http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/legumes-and-legume-products/10533/2)

coconut milk nutritional info (http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/nut-and-seed-products/3113/2)

zennmotion
03-14-2013, 05:38 PM
If you have not yet discovered teff, then you should. It's a very old grain originally from Ethiopia that is equal or superior to oatmeal. It's been a winter pre-ride staple of mine for a long time. It's most often found as flour, used in gluten-free mixes but if you have a good natural foods store you can often find it unprocessed- and makes a really amazing porridge (I'm not particularly fond of oatmeal, especially quick oats). The grains are tiny so they cook quickly- 1 part teff grain to 3 parts water, cook on low heat because it boils over easily. Very high protein, low glycemic index (excellent for long winter training rides, slow steady burn), rich in iron and a bunch of other vitamins that oatmeal doesn't have. Mix a bowl of the hot porridge with a spoonful of nut butter, honey and milk/soymilk and you won't be hungry before lunch no matter how cold and windy it is. Here's a nutritional comparison to oatmeal- but the main thing to remember is that it tastes soooooooooooo much better! (ATMO)
http://skipthepie.org/cereal-grains-and-pasta/oats/compared-to/teff-uncooked/#nut

zennmotion
03-14-2013, 05:46 PM
What's so great about "steel cut" oats?

Last I checked it takes an eternity to cook them, and I'm not going to trade an additional hour of sleep for that, no matter how good the taste.

Steel cut oats are best "cooked" by soaking overnight then a quick heating in the morning. Yes, it requires thinking ahead, but takes no more time in the morning. My mother used to leave a pan on the radiator overnight, ready to go in the morning and Mom knows whassup with breakfast! Quick oats compared to steel cut is like, well, Wonder Bread compared with whole grain. Completely different quality.

zennmotion
03-14-2013, 06:01 PM
If you're going that route, why not chorizo?

Campesino (Colombia) breakfast includes beans, eggs, papas, and chorizo or steak. Of course, few of us could work that off like a farmer in the Andean hills would, even on a big mileage day. But it sure tastes good!

Wilkinson4
03-14-2013, 06:14 PM
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120306033843/candh/images/thumb/2/20/CFSB.JPG/150px-CFSB.JPG

Miss that cartoon. Had solid bike content too.

mIKE

BlackTiBob
03-14-2013, 06:18 PM
not to change topic but Teff being high in iron is not a plus for me
but a negative.
I am not a nutrionist but as a male in my 60's, I look to limit my iron,
get vitamins without iron (Centrum Silver) etc.
From what resources I've found, older male adults probably get too
much iron with all the iron fortified products. Too much iron can result
in more free radicals in the body.

I'm not saying Teff is bad, just that I'm not looking for more iron.
I may even try it if I can find it.
I love my steel cut oats though....

Louis
03-14-2013, 06:21 PM
Miss that cartoon. Had solid bike content too.

+1 on Calvin and Hobbes

The one where the food turns into a mush-creature that starts to hop around is hilarious.

bluesea
03-14-2013, 07:29 PM
- .75 cup regular oats
- about .25 teaspoon virgin coconut oil
- raw honey
- banana and/or other fruits

nopotholes
03-14-2013, 08:40 PM
Kid Tested, Mother Approved.

Louis
03-14-2013, 08:49 PM
Kid Tested

That's a euphemism for "loaded with sugar." ;)

Llewellyn
03-14-2013, 09:04 PM
Homemade muesli.

Start with 500g of unstabilised oats. Then add shredded coconut, almonds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, Goji berries, cranberries, dried apple or apricots cut into small pieces, and anything else that might be in the pantry. As for quantities of each - whatever looks about right. Put everything in a big bowl and mix well. Easy

It takes about 10 minutes to mix up a couple of kilo's that should last several weeks (depending on how much and how often you eat it of course!!)

Tastes great when you add some sliced banana, a spoonful of flaxseed oil and reduced fat milk :)

nighthawk
03-14-2013, 09:36 PM
Does anyone blow-off breakfast food completely?

My usual breakfast is kale sauteed lightly in olive oil with cayenne and sliced almonds over quinoa or left over rice, with a poached or scrambled egg on the side.

Sometimes I'll cook beans up with the greens and skip the egg.

When I get sick of that I just slice up an apple and eat it with some almond butter... and make sure to pack a mid morning snack, like a banana and a handful of raw almonds.

I tried the oats/fruit/yogurt route for a while.. but my stomach kept making these horrific gurgling sounds throughout the mornings.. so I took that as a bad sign.

Getting into summer, I'll do fruit smoothies for bfast (w/ yogurt, fruit, nut butter, cinnamon, etc.)...

..but generally it's grains, greens, and eggs/beans for me.

CunegoFan
03-14-2013, 09:46 PM

Medium grained rice. Raw egg with a little soy a sauce dumped in the hot rice.

bluesea
03-14-2013, 10:23 PM
Yea there's the occasional boiled egg sprinkled with olive oil, Braggs liquid amino, rosemary etc. Apple bananas go good with fresh ground peanutbutter.

CNY rider
03-15-2013, 04:51 AM
Digging into a delicious bowl of Bear Naked granola as I type.
Tastes great and keeps me full til lunch.

Tony T
03-15-2013, 08:12 AM
Old fashion Quaker Oats. Not the quick/instant kind.

In the microwave, the regular Quaker Oats are done in 2˝ min. Quick enough for me :)

Likes2ridefar
03-15-2013, 08:17 AM
In the microwave, the regular Quaker Oats are done in 2˝ min. Quick enough for me :)

Took me 5 minutes on the stove this AM.

Added a healthy dose of home made dried cranberries that become fat and gooey after cooking with the oats. At the end I added a big dollop of raw almond butter and home made strawberry jam with really chunky berries. Top it off with some cinnamon.

Nice and warm for hopefully one of the last cold weather commutes this year.

ptourkin
03-15-2013, 08:45 AM
+1 for the savory breakfast. I do various grains - millet, quinoa, barley, with veggies and topped with greens and then add soy and hot sauce a la a congee type of mixture. The alternative to batch cooking on Sunday is a programmable rice cooker like a Zojirushi (I use a Sanyo) - dump your stuff in before bed and set it and it's hot and ready when you wake.

bobswire
03-15-2013, 08:59 AM

Whole oats with blueberries and banana EVERY morning for the past 17 years.
Going on 68, healthier than most at 50. :banana:
5'9" 145.
I truly believe beyond on active lifestyle, U-R-what you eat.

http://i48.tinypic.com/2nw28hi.jpg

bozman
03-15-2013, 04:09 PM
I am not a cereal person so here is an alternative:

2-3 scrambled eggs
1/2 cup salsa/pico
1/2 avocado
1 banana/1 cup fresh berries/1 sliced apple
sprinkle the fruit with cinnamon

wash down with good coffee

John H.
03-15-2013, 06:13 PM
This would be perfect if you add some rice/beans to the egg/avo/salsa mix.

I am not a cereal person so here is an alternative:

2-3 scrambled eggs
1/2 cup salsa/pico
1/2 avocado
1 banana/1 cup fresh berries/1 sliced apple
sprinkle the fruit with cinnamon

wash down with good coffee

stackie
03-15-2013, 10:05 PM
If anyone is still eating processed cereal out of a box, this ought to stop the habit.

http://www.humansarenotbroken.com/the-sleazy-story-of-cereals-success/

I don't buy the last bit about straight teeth, but the rest of it is not surprising to me at all.

Steel cut oats or poached eggs on greens for me. Smoothie if it is hot.

Jon

lukasz
03-15-2013, 10:14 PM
I do steel cut oats in a slow-cooker. Set on low for 6-6.5 hours with 1/4 oats to water and whatever else you want before you go to bed. Sometimes I add maple syrup. Sometimes honey. Sometimes brown sugar.

That or muesli with some almond milk. Sometimes the night before. Sometimes first thing and by the time I'm ready to sit down it is ready to eat.

Teff sounds awesome. Gonna try it.

Louis
03-15-2013, 11:23 PM
If anyone is still eating processed cereal out of a box, this ought to stop the habit.

http://www.humansarenotbroken.com/the-sleazy-story-of-cereals-success/

http://www.humansarenotbroken.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Cereals-Aspen.jpg

slidey
03-15-2013, 11:36 PM
How this finds its way to an ad for a cereal I don't understand...nor do I care :p

http://www.humansarenotbroken.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Cereals-Aspen.jpg

Seramount
03-16-2013, 08:21 AM
I'd starve to death on some of the wimpy fare listed...

today was 2 strips uncured bacon, fried egg w/ tomato, bell pepper, serrano chiles, broccoli, and a little slab of sharp cheddar cheese.

gluten-free toast with almond butter and cherry preserves.

half an orange, half a banana, and 2 cups of organic dark roast coffee.

that should last me until second breakfast...