PDA

View Full Version : Mtn pedals that feel like road pedals???

TheWolfsMouth
03-14-2013, 02:26 AM
I'm looking for recommendations on Mtn pedals that have and solid feel like road pedals. For road pedals I have 105s. For Mtn I've used egg beaters, shimano m540 and time Attack alliums- which I hated the most. I've been doing more gravel and off road riding in my road shoes and walking around in them is not preferable.

So what info do you guys have for me?? Thanks.

sc53
03-14-2013, 06:32 AM
Crank Bros Candy 2 or 3 have a wide platform and I find them quite comfortable. (http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/ProductDisplay?storeId=10052&langId=-1&catalogId=10551&productId=1088036&utm_source=Google_Product_Search&utm_medium=pla&utm_campaign=datafeed&cm_mmc=Google_Product_Search-_-PLA-_-Datafeed-_-Crank%20Brothers%20Candy%203%20Pedals%20Red%20Null&CAWELAID=1009381210&catargetid=1630495170&cagpspn=pla)

oldpotatoe
03-14-2013, 06:34 AM
I'm looking for recommendations on Mtn pedals that have and solid feel like road pedals. For road pedals I have 105s. For Mtn I've used egg beaters, shimano m540 and time Attack alliums- which I hated the most. I've been doing more gravel and off road riding in my road shoes and walking around in them is not preferable.

So what info do you guys have for me?? Thanks.

These

http://brandscycle.com/product/shimano-xt-m785-trail-pedals-20616.htm?gclid=CPOlmfeb_LUCFVSVMgodtmIABg

Liv2RideHard
03-14-2013, 10:03 AM
I recently converted from eggbeaters to speedplay frogs. Never again will I run eggbeaters. I love the frogs. They feel solid and are a breeze to get in and out of.

charlie68
03-14-2013, 10:37 AM
I use Crank Brothers Candy 3 and love them. The're easy to clip in and provide a wide platform.

reggiebaseball
03-14-2013, 11:35 AM
what didnt you like about the Time ATACs?
They have lateral float, perhaps that is not for you?

I like the ATACs, and I like the Speedplay Frogs even more, but if you dont like float, the Frogs are not for you.

On second read, I am pretty sure what you do NOT like is float, so scrap any Speedplay or Time or beebops.

Likes2ridefar
03-14-2013, 11:40 AM
I've tried them all, I think, and while I can say nothing compares to the solid feeling of being clipped into the current model Dura-Ace pedal, the current XTR and perhaps the lesser models are about as close as you can get.

thirdgenbird
03-14-2013, 11:44 AM
I have a very nice set of older ultegra pedals if you are interested. They use 2 bold spd cleats but look at home on a road bike. The platform isn't real big, but a decent shoe should remedy most of that.

mandasol
03-14-2013, 12:33 PM
I'm on a quest for the exact same thing.

For off road I've been exclusively a Shimano SPD rider and have a set of XTR 985 pedals with the built in platforms. They work great, but a little heavy compared to road pedals and not that great at shedding mud - though works well enough for my riding. They have really good clip in and out feel, not much float so occasionally get knee issues. I have carbon sole shoes so no hot spots.

To try something different, for the past few weeks I tried out the new Time ATAC XC 8 carbon pedals. They are a good bit lighter than the XTR pedals and look well made. I was not a user of older gen ATAC pedals so it's new to me. I like the float and really like that you don't have to fiddle with the cleat install as much as any other pedal system. YMMV, but I can't seem to get clipped in to save my life though - clipping out is fine. I tried getting used to them by using different techniques, but they just don't clip in easy for me. Also, the bearings are tight, smooth but tight, feels like you're spinning an axle through peanut butter - probably means good seals for protecting against the elements, but while all that tightness probably doesn't really affect anything it still messes with your head when you're riding.

On to the next pedals, I just got a set of the Look S-Tracks without the cage. Same disclaimer, I've never tried the previous quarts pedals but the reviews were all generally not that great so never was inclined to try them. I am a loyal user of the Look road pedals, though. The S-Tracks are slimmer and more compact than the Time pedals and look to be just as well made if not a little nicer. Pretty light even for the basic level. Have to take time adjusting the cleat position just like SPD's but that's fine as I'm used to it, there are a few more steps if you want to add any included shims and they have plastic inserts on the cleats that I don't quite get because they get all worn the very first time you walk in the shoes - though they still seem to work fine with them being worn. Clipping in was very easy and positive feeling, similar to SPD's. Clip out feel is very good, a solid click that you can feel and hear, not as solid as road pedals but more so than other MTB pedals I've tried. You can't adjust the load on the spring though. The bearings are really smooth and the pedal spins easily on the axle - I don't know if that means the seals aren't that great, but time will tell - feels like you're not loosing any energy through the pedals though be that just a fraction of watt as it may be. Since the pedals spins so well though, they can feel a little slippery as when you're clipping in the pedal really wants to spin around and can send your foot flying and you end up with a shin full of pedal - no sharp edges so no big deal. After practicing a bit - didn't happen again. I really like these pedals a lot. They look well designed and should shed any kind a mud I run into. The cages are not available yet, but I plan to get some as soon as they are. I'm going to try to stick with these for a while.

Likes2ridefar
03-14-2013, 01:04 PM
regarding the new Look pedals,

are you able to twist out of the looks "by accident", like rolling your ankle to the side, or pulling up hard?

I had the older Look quartz pedals and I really liked them, more than the XTR, besides the fact I could not rely on them to keep my foot attached to the pedal when I really needed it.

mandasol
03-14-2013, 01:13 PM
I've only had a few rides on the Look S-Track so can't give a really thorough review. They seem to hold pretty well so far.

Likes2ridefar
03-14-2013, 01:21 PM
I've only had a few rides on the Look S-Track so can't give a really thorough review. They seem to hold pretty well so far.

I would pop out of the Look pedals on bumpy descents sometimes. quite scary!

jds108
03-14-2013, 02:23 PM
try some shoes with really stiff soles. If the soles are stiff enough, you (probably) won't notice what kind of pedals are underneath. I say (probably) because you'll want pedals that don't allow the cleats to slop around when clicked in.

I bought some Bont commuters and there is no flex in them. Thus, no difference in clipping in to XT mountain pedals as compared to Look 3-bolt style pedals.

Those shoes are so stiff I wouldn't dare use them off road, I just use them for commuting.

TheWolfsMouth
03-15-2013, 02:56 AM
Thanks for the info guys. Think im gonna go for some shimano PD-m530. Not really trying to spend $250 on the XTR985. They dont really need to shed mud, just so i can walk around in MTN shoes but have the feel of a full platform/close to it.

EDIT: Actually maybe the XT 785?

rnhood
03-15-2013, 04:55 AM
EDIT: Actually maybe the XT 785?

Yes, go for the XT pedals. Stay safe and secure and much easier on the pocket.

AngryScientist
03-15-2013, 05:01 AM
these look very good.

might have to give them a try for the cross bike.

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/NIB-Shimano-XT-PD-M785-SPD-Mountain-Bike-Clipless-TRAIL-Pedals-Cleats-L-R-/00/s/NDYwWDQ2MA==/$(KGrHqV,!iUE6OoI5SNRBOnnuHSz+w~~60_12.JPG

51mondays
03-15-2013, 06:26 AM
Not eggbeaters. So much float you're boating. But I like it for mtb. Shimano spd way more solid, and you can adjust it for a more stiff feeling. Shame they're so ugly.....although those xt cages look ok!

Marcy
03-15-2013, 06:33 AM
I like the Speedplay Frogs, but I don't find they clear debris as well as the ATACs. I really love float -- if you don't, they're probably not for you.

As a bonus, I believe they're made here in the states, are easy to lube, and can be rebuilt. I prefer the Ti version, but the SS is nice, as well.

veloduffer
03-15-2013, 07:36 AM
Do they have to be double-sided?

I use the Shimano A-520 for my road bikes. They have a wide platform, use the same SPD cleats, and are lighter than mtb pedals, but are single-sided. Also inexpensive!

http://brandscycle.com/product/shimano-pd-a520-spd-pedals-7890.htm