PDA

View Full Version : Props to you winter riders...

MattTuck
03-13-2013, 07:25 PM
http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/03/bikes-and-tech/technical-faq/technical-faq-why-is-riding-in-the-cold-so-hard_277626

I wish I were tougher and more dedicated and cycled outside during the winter more... but for those you that do, here's some science on why it feels harder.

I personally feel like I'm slower when I'm all bundled up because I just feel more insulated from the outside... and I also am not in as good shape during the winter. Not sure I can blame it on air density.

spiderman
03-13-2013, 08:02 PM
On the power it takes to move the moonlander
Through 5 inches of heavy drifted snow...
Covering a three inch layer of slush...
Thanks for the link--interesting stuff!

spaced_ghost
03-13-2013, 08:20 PM
have always loved riding in the winter. maybe more. never really felt harder to me.

spiderman
03-13-2013, 08:24 PM
have always loved riding in the winter. maybe more. never really felt harder to me.

I tell myself and my dobegirl
We can turn around when it's not fun anymore
Or at the thirty minute mark
...we're usually a little past...

Gummee
03-13-2013, 08:44 PM
So tonite was the first of the Haymarket 'summer' rides. Got there and everyone's dressed like they're headed out into an arctic gale! Balaclavas, scarves, etc etc.

WTHeck people! Its 50ish out!

Having been out all winter, today was merely a little chilly. Nothing to get excited about. :nah

I never stopped and thought about those great mid-winter days we get around here where the temps go high enough to ditch the warm stuff and go out in minimal clothing. I'm always amazed at how much faster I can go for the same effort but never put 2 and 2 together till I read that article.

M

rwsaunders
03-13-2013, 10:11 PM
Use Winter riding as a reason to acquire some good cold weather kit. It can be a great motivator when it's you against the thermometer, and your bike and gear are up to the task.

soulspinner
03-14-2013, 04:16 AM
use winter riding as a reason to acquire some good cold weather kit. It can be a great motivator when it's you against the thermometer, and your bike and gear are up to the task.

+1

Gummee
03-14-2013, 06:51 AM
Use Winter riding as a reason to acquire some good cold weather kit. It can be a great motivator when it's you against the thermometer, and your bike and gear are up to the task.

2 words: Merino wool

M

Clydesdale
03-14-2013, 01:33 PM
I assumed it was the nokians that weight about 1200g each!

Thanks for the article.

spiderman
03-14-2013, 01:41 PM
I assumed it was the nokians that weight about 1200g each!

Thanks for the article.

And how much resistance at 5 psi?!?
There's also a phenomenon I like to call
Pedal drag!

redir
03-14-2013, 02:15 PM
Makes sense, it's easier for an airplane to get off the ground in the cold for the same reason. But I can't imagine anyone would actually be able to detect it. I think it just feels harder because it sucks being out in the cold when you could be inside with a nice cup of tea ;)