PDA

View Full Version : sadness in SF-the passing of Clay of City Cycles

eddief
11-16-2005, 10:00 AM
I never met Clay Mankin, but did speak to him on the phone a few times. From what I could tell, he was a credit to cycling and the community.

Died at 49 apparently of a heart attack while cycling alone from SF to Santa Barbara; reenacting a ride he did 30 years ago.

At least he went with his boots on.

Skrawny
11-16-2005, 10:14 AM
Check out this thread:
Bad News (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=12583)

Clay was an example for all of us.

eddief
11-16-2005, 11:11 AM
I read it in the obits in this morning's paper.

Skrawny
11-16-2005, 11:41 AM
Yeah, that was a nice article on him.
-s

sfscott
11-16-2005, 04:17 PM
Clay was a true gentleman. I am fortunate to have had my Legend Ti personal fit and designed by him. It's even more special to me now.

This just reinforces how random things are. Who new the last time I stopped in at the shop for some such stupid thing would be the last time.

**** Cheney can survive multiple heart attacks. Clay loses on a first. Something is wrong on a cosmic proportion.

Frustration
11-16-2005, 09:33 PM
Clay was a great guy. I spoke to Ben about an hour ago and this droped like a bomb. I have known Clay for years.

Clay had the town wired, always had a ride on tap for folks hitting the bay area. Had a knowledge of bikes, but more importantly he knew why people wanted to ride, and by "people", I mean he pretty much felt the passion no matter what type of person you are.

Clay sold way more than "bikes" at City.

This is friend number two at a middle age that I have lost this year. Healthy, special people both times.

Go see your Doctor folks. Get check ups and do the smart thing, even if you feel healthy...

Everyone here is someone's Clay.

Skrawny
11-18-2005, 10:21 AM
I am not a spokesperson for City Cycle - nor for the les Volantes riding club, however, I thought those of you in the Bay Area may be interested:

The annual Jimi Hendrix memorial ride is scheduled for the Friday after Thanksgiving. Although it is unofficial, I suspect it will be in memorium of more than Hendrix this year. The route has not been set yet, but it is usually a moderate ride, open to all levels of riders, which finishes at a restaurant. Anyone interested is welcome to ride with me (us). I will post more info as it becomes available.
-skrawny

PS:
The ride is on FRIDAY, not Sat. Will probably be about 9:30am.
Route info to follow.

I also want to reiterate that the Les Volantes club is a separate group of riders and this is not a City Cycle event. Everyone is welcome.