PDA

View Full Version : Pain in the hand...

achurch
03-13-2013, 09:05 AM
Literally. Now second time has happened to me after doing high intensity interval workout indoors.

Doesn't hurt at all while riding but starts about 5 hours after finishing the ride, slowly builds to very intense (wakes me up, keeps me up) pain in my whole hand (left only). By morning has dissipated to just the last joints on my fingertips. Last time (probably a month ago) took a couple of weeks totally go away.

Has only happened twice--both times doing intense, longish 90-120 minutes total time) interval workouts.

Anyone ever had anything like this?

I know medical advise on the internet is a dumb idea.... but I want it anyway:banana:

MattTuck
03-13-2013, 09:37 AM
it's worth two pains in the bush.

This sounds like a nerve issue.

Aside from seeing a doctor, I'd try to improve muscular balance.

I've had friends with nerve entrapment and impingement issues. They did physical therapy for a while, and then elected to do surgery.

The other approach (if you don't eat that well) is to radically change your diet, with a focus on eating nutrients to help create healthy nerves.

This video may help.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLjgBLwH3Wc

rice rocket
03-13-2013, 10:34 AM
5 hours on the trainer...talk about devotion.

achurch
03-13-2013, 10:38 AM
finishing riding (versus 5 hours actually riding)

slidey
03-13-2013, 10:50 AM
That's a bit more clear, phew!

In the benefit of more info then am I to presume that on days you don't ride you don't observe any sort of pain then?

PS: I can't help you with any medical opinion either way you answer the above Q, but I'd edit the original post to include this info. Mainly as there are a lot of medics on the forums who would likely benefit from more info at a first pass than having to scan through multiple posts. Good luck!

finishing riding (versus 5 hours actually riding)

false_Aest
03-13-2013, 11:17 AM
Literally.
Anyone ever had anything like this?

Yes... sort've:

1) Watch hand position. Subtle variations in position can do a dooooozy on your hands. e.g. A few years ago I hit a pothole while riding at night really really hard. I didn't bail but my right shifter dropped about 1/4". The next day my right hand started falling asleep while riding. If I was out on a long ride my hand would stay asleep (pins and needles) for at least an hour or two after the ride. Scared the crap outta me. Took me about 2 weeks to figure it out.

2) Watch your grip + tension in your hands and then try to figure out how that connects to your forearms.

3) Placement of hands in drops is ultimately what caused pain in my fingers. e.g. I used to use ergo drops but found that my hands wanted to be in a slightly different place (less bend at the wrist). A switch to a more classic curve helped a lot.

4) upper body strength. I know we all wanna look like t-rexes but for mortals having enough musculature to support ourselves (core fo sure but also shoulders, triceps, biceps, forearms) helps LOTS. tri-dips + triangle pushups work wonders.

pbarry
03-13-2013, 11:20 AM
You might try some self massage. Cyclists put incredible stress on their hands, and you are doing some tough workouts. It's amazing how many tight spots you'll find in your hands. Legs get all the attention with cycling specific massage, but feet and hands are two of the three major pressure areas.

My forearms get really tight from riding hard, and I've had hand numbness that was caused by lack of blood flow from the forearms. The brachioradialis is my bane, and it's flared up when I don't vary my hand position on the bars enough.

On a trainer, there's no reason to not use extra padding on the bars and/or thicker gloves. Icing the hand after a workout couldn't hurt either.

slidey
03-13-2013, 01:27 PM
That's what she said! :banana:

You might try some self massage.

pbarry
03-13-2013, 01:32 PM
I gave you that one, on a platter... :beer:

achurch
03-13-2013, 02:14 PM
Others? Anyone else have similar experiences?

This is helpful to start thinking about. Maybe, tightening grip when doing intervals without realizing it... hmm...

Yes... sort've:

1) Watch hand position. Subtle variations in position can do a dooooozy on your hands. e.g. A few years ago I hit a pothole while riding at night really really hard. I didn't bail but my right shifter dropped about 1/4". The next day my right hand started falling asleep while riding. If I was out on a long ride my hand would stay asleep (pins and needles) for at least an hour or two after the ride. Scared the crap outta me. Took me about 2 weeks to figure it out.

2) Watch your grip + tension in your hands and then try to figure out how that connects to your forearms.

3) Placement of hands in drops is ultimately what caused pain in my fingers. e.g. I used to use ergo drops but found that my hands wanted to be in a slightly different place (less bend at the wrist). A switch to a more classic curve helped a lot.

4) upper body strength. I know we all wanna look like t-rexes but for mortals having enough musculature to support ourselves (core fo sure but also shoulders, triceps, biceps, forearms) helps LOTS. tri-dips + triangle pushups work wonders.

achurch
03-13-2013, 02:20 PM
If blood flow was restricted, would the pain after the fact make any sense? The first time I did it I thought from symptoms maybe I had frostbitten my hand (had been outside in the cold after the workout) and the pain was from blood flow / feeling returning.... this last time it was not cold so I ruled that out, but maybe restricting blood flow is causing the same sort of thing.

Symptom wise though, I never lost any feeling in my hand and it never hurt---until later and then hurt a lot.

You might try some self massage. Cyclists put incredible stress on their hands, and you are doing some tough workouts. It's amazing how many tight spots you'll find in your hands. Legs get all the attention with cycling specific massage, but feet and hands are two of the three major pressure areas.

My forearms get really tight from riding hard, and I've had hand numbness that was caused by lack of blood flow from the forearms. The brachioradialis is my bane, and it's flared up when I don't vary my hand position on the bars enough.

On a trainer, there's no reason to not use extra padding on the bars and/or thicker gloves. Icing the hand after a workout couldn't hurt either.

pbarry
03-13-2013, 02:27 PM
I've had the hand pain during sleep symptom from cycling with cow horn bars, (in the forward position all the time as a messenger), and, from repetitive carpentry work.

thwart
03-13-2013, 03:29 PM
See your doc. Soon.

Any pain during or after intense exercise in your left arm could be (but probably isn't, of course...) angina.

More likely to be a nerve related issue, but the first problem can kill you.