PDA

View Full Version : Pro mtn bike racers in unsanctioned races

kenw
03-12-2013, 10:49 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_22768524?source=pop

rice rocket
03-12-2013, 10:55 PM
This is nothing more than a power grab by USAC.

Pros should take a page from Kimi Raikkonen's book, and enter under a fake name, wearing a gorilla suit.

shovelhd
03-13-2013, 07:22 AM
Let's just let Cat1's race with the Cat5's. Who needs categories anyway.

Tandem Rider
03-13-2013, 10:09 AM
Let's just let Cat1's race with the Cat5's. Who needs categories anyway.

Don't worry, bones heal, roadrash scabs up quick and you wanted a new bike anyway ;^)

shovelhd
03-13-2013, 10:10 AM
Don't worry, bones heal, roadrash scabs up quick and you wanted a new bike anyway ;^)

Yeah. I should just HTFU, Shut Up Legs and all that stuff.

Neves
03-13-2013, 10:14 AM
I thought I saw this here, but maybe not.

Barry Wicks thoughts on this

http://www.cyclingdirt.org/article/18978

Tandem Rider
03-13-2013, 02:05 PM
Yeah. I should just HTFU, Shut Up Legs and all that stuff.

Ha! Trying that here too...

Around here a lot of the 50+ races have all categories in one race. Sometimes you gotta hit the front and drill it for a while in order to make it safe to race. Just because they are older doesn't make them safe to be around when they are maxed out.

pbarry
03-13-2013, 03:11 PM
Sandbaggers. Good rule.

Tandem Rider
03-13-2013, 09:04 PM
Please explain how lining up with former pros, current and recent national champs, and former national team members is sandbagging? That's the best there is around these sticks.

It's the same when racing younger (40+) when doubling up. Unfortunately, there aren't enough racers to have 2 or 3 races per age group. I do feel bad for the 4s and 5s looking around at the start line, what a tough spot to be in. I don't have the short term answer. Maybe a 4s and 5s race for several age groups, safer for experienced racers and not so overwhelming for less experienced. Just a thought.

pbarry
03-13-2013, 09:15 PM
Please explain how lining up with former pros, current and recent national champs, and former national team members is sandbagging? That's the best there is around these sticks.

It's the same when racing younger (40+) when doubling up. Unfortunately, there aren't enough racers to have 2 or 3 races per age group. I do feel bad for the 4s and 5s looking around at the start line, what a tough spot to be in. I don't have the short term answer. Maybe a 4s and 5s race for several age groups, safer for experienced racers and not so overwhelming for less experienced. Just a thought.

I agree with your post, mostly, but I don't feel sorry for active pros getting busted trying to scoop up prize money from newbies. If you're registered as a pro, then race pro events. No offense meant TR! I registered enough Navigators team members at CRCA Saturday club 6:00a.m. races who won $150 or more before heading to Philly or Sommerville, to know sandbagging.

Tandem Rider
03-13-2013, 09:35 PM
True there, these cats all have day jobs now so it's a fair fight at the top. Like I said, lower categories are where it sucks. I imagine it's like waiting to get hit, knowing it's coming, and can't do anything about it.

pbarry
03-13-2013, 10:24 PM
True there, these cats all have day jobs now so it's a fair fight at the top. Like I said, lower categories are where it sucks. I imagine it's like waiting to get hit, knowing it's coming, and can't do anything about it.

Agreed! Combining Cats is way worse than a 2-5 minute break between category starts like the old days. Don't get me started on the new-norm of open race courses..

Tandem Rider
03-14-2013, 05:13 AM
I think this would drive the race day schedule into a lot more races. For example, 2 or 3 age groups of masters with 2 or 3 skill categories turns 1 race into a whole bunch of races with lots fewer racers in each race. Do it again for the juniors. As a promoter, what a nightmare, lead car, leadcar driver, wheeltruck, wheeltruck driver, corner marshalls out longer (more needed now) and prizelist for each race.

Not disagreeing with you pb, just looking at it from promoter's perspective. Most promoters have a lot of trouble recruiting enough volunteers just to do the races they have. They also have to make the finances work as well, lots of expenses to putting on a day of racing. Lots of promoters make a little money from their race, if you figured it hourly they would be better off with "Welcome to Walmart", they do it for the love of the sport. I know one, he's also an official, who makes just enough to pay for getting himself to small grassroots races the rest of the season.

Being a promoter is getting a lot worse soon, thanks to USAC, but that's another discussion.

Mikej
03-14-2013, 07:15 AM
Maybe it is so more unsanctioned races become sanctioned -its all about greasing the wheels.

rice rocket
03-14-2013, 07:28 AM
Maybe it is so more unsanctioned races become sanctioned -its all about greasing the wheels.

Its all about money in the pocket.

Tandem Rider
03-14-2013, 08:25 AM
It is undoubtedly all about the money. USAC has several revenue streams, one of which is fees paid by race promoters. Mrs. TR puts on a grass roots series every year and has for years. Promoter fees TRIPLED this year. Next year all promoters will have the "opportunity" to purchase a promoters licence for I believe $150. This is after paying to attend a yearly seminar on how to continue doing the same thing. Why would she go through that for a small grass roots race? I can see non-pro riders not renewing their license and doing unsanctioned events in the not too distant future. Hopefully, that ship hasn't already sailed.

djg21
03-14-2013, 08:53 AM
I agree with your post, mostly, but I don't feel sorry for active pros getting busted trying to scoop up prize money from newbies. If you're registered as a pro, then race pro events. No offense meant TR! I registered enough Navigators team members at CRCA Saturday club 6:00a.m. races who won $150 or more before heading to Philly or Sommerville, to know sandbagging.

I still think cash prizes should be limited to Pro-1-2 fields. If you have the goods and want to race for money, upgrade.

With respect to other fields, cap entry fees. This would eliminate the sandbagging problem and make recreational racing more affordable.

Tandem Rider
03-14-2013, 01:50 PM
I still think cash prizes should be limited to Pro-1-2 fields. If you have the goods and want to race for money, upgrade.

With respect to other fields, cap entry fees. This would eliminate the sandbagging problem and make recreational racing more affordable.

I agree. With $50 and $75 entry fees for a number I have a lot of incentive to keep making cash and don't want to see it go away. Make it $15 or $20 and with no prize money and I'll still race. If I want a shot at the cash I need to put my big boy pants on and ride P1/2 (sometimes I do). I don't want to pay a $50 entry for no payout though.