PDA

View Full Version : Frogglegs _ Paul topmounts ?

rt.100
11-15-2005, 09:09 PM
Concours CX or Ottrott CX __

who likes which bars with the topmounts __

i think i need quick reach brakes

coylifut
11-15-2005, 09:25 PM
I don't like em. I had em for a season and then took em off. when approaching an obstacle, I prefer the wider hand position that being on the shifters provides. when going down steep descents. I get my weight back by being in the drops. I'd save my money and spend the $75 on the Paul's cantis and forego the frog legs.

Dude
11-15-2005, 10:12 PM
I don't like the froglegs either. You have very little pad adjustment with them. You could always run threaded v-brake pads with them but why not something with as much clearance and as much adjustability.

Rapid Tourist
11-16-2005, 06:15 AM
Just to add to what Dude said, I have the frogleggs on my bike, and there is no way to make the brake pads "toe in," (without damaging the brake). So they squeel a bit under heavy braking.

On the plus side, they are super cool looking. :cool:

I'd go with something else if I had to do it over. I don't like Paul's centering mechanism, unless they've changed it in recent years. Good luck.

vaxn8r
11-16-2005, 03:46 PM
i run the paul's and like them. i actually stop better and have better modulation using my top mounts than using my chorus levers from the hoods. that being said, i dismount from the hoods. just doesn,t feel right from the tops.
btw, i run a neo retro up front and a touring rear as paul's recommends. i wish i had neo retros front and rear. way better than my previous avids.
s.(sorry, vaxn8r logged onto my laptop and i haven't changed it back;erdr)

Bruce K
11-16-2005, 08:07 PM
I use the Tektro Carbons on the new Concours CX and like them. I have Empellas on the old C'dale.

I like the top mounts but I know people who don't. It all comes down to personal preference on these guys.

Lots of choices on www.cyclocrossworld.com if you want them.

You can always start without them and add them later if you feel the need.

BK

shinomaster
11-16-2005, 08:14 PM
From what I understand the only reason to get spooky or empella brakes is for mud clearance for racing. There are not supposed to be as powerful as avids or cane creeks or shimano, pauls etc..

Ken Robb
11-16-2005, 08:21 PM
I have had lots of canti brakes and the Paul centering system is the best for me by a huge margin. I like being able to dial in exactly the spring strength I want too. Mine uses a 15mm open end wrench to apply spring tension thereby centering the brakes and a 5mm allen bolt to lock the adjustment. Was there a different system that didn't work so well?

Marburg
11-16-2005, 08:52 PM
I've got a set of Spookies (al, not carbon) on my 'cross racer and a set of Paul's in the box waiting for my blinglespeed. I find the Spookies to be a very acceptable brake -- functional and attractive. True, it doesn't have much in the way of adjustability, but I've never had to bend brake shoe posts or anything like that (in contrast to a friend who had a set of Mr Grumpys which definitely required some post tweaking).

The Pauls are better engineered, in the long run, though.

We just put a set of the Shimano Shorty-a-likes on my wife's touring rig and I'm suitably impressed. Good power, though the rim clearance is so-so. It does allow a large tire, which is the point, no? A lot like the Avids, but without the squeeeeling problem.

I've never used top-mount brakes, and don't know if I ever will. I can see some of the attraction for folks who want something that looks like a road bike, but rides a little more upright. I feel like my natural weight-shifting instincts would get fuddled if I braked with my hands on the tops.