PDA

View Full Version : It would be nice if cyclists acknowledged other cyclists while riding

svelocity
03-12-2013, 12:34 PM
Maybe you are focused on something else, thinking of the next hill, how your legs feel, or did I eat enough. Maybe its a busy Saturday and waving at every cyclist is annoying. These are some reasons why you might not acknowledge another cyclist. Yeah I get it. No problem.

I don't acknowledge (wave/nod/smile) at every every cyclist I see out there but there are certain occasions/situations I make a point of it. Here are my minimal few:

1) Passing - To me if you are passing someone on the road you gotta give a friendly acknowledgement. We are not racing so take your right hand off of your handlebars and give a slight wave. Makes everyone feel good. Hey I'm on a bike you're on a bike. "Morning!"

2) Coming towards each other - If your on a bike path/side road with hardly anyone around/remote location, give a little nod. "Howdy"

3) At a stop light together - You don't need to strike up a conversation but you gotta give, at minimum, a wave/nod/smile at a stop light. "Nice looking rig you got there"

Hey you don't have to acknowledge anyone out there, it's your world too, but in the famous words of one Mr. Wooderson "It'd be a lot cooler if you did (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_r6KvlIPAl8)"

Cheers!

Tony T
03-12-2013, 12:39 PM
I always give a short wave (sometimes with my palm still on the bar) to oncoming cyclists.
(...but then, I'm used to this as I drive a Jeep :))

Ken Robb
03-12-2013, 12:45 PM
I agree. We are supposed to be having fun out there and a little conviviality can only add to the pleasant atmosphere. Remember the guy you cold-shouldered may be the guy you want to borrow a tube from two miles up the road. :)

Also, I have been riding motorcycles so long that I remember when there were so few of us that it wasn't uncommon for me to ride for hours wiothout seeing another rider. I think we always waved because motorcycles then were so unreliable we knew we might need help on any ride.

Louis
03-12-2013, 12:57 PM
If I look faster than you, if I want to appear to be faster than you, if I may be faster than you, if I am faster than you, then I don't have to bother acknowledging your existence.

BumbleBeeDave
03-12-2013, 01:11 PM
. . . and thought a passing cyclist didn't wave, only to be told they DID wave but too late for me to catch a glimpse. So I try not to rush to judgment. I try to save that for my posts here . . . :eek::rolleyes::p

BBD

rugbysecondrow
03-12-2013, 01:13 PM
Maybe you are focused on something else, thinking of the next hill, how your legs feel, or did I eat enough. Maybe its a busy Saturday and waving at every cyclist is annoying. These are some reasons why you might not acknowledge another cyclist. Yeah I get it. No problem.

I don't acknowledge (wave/nod/smile) at every every cyclist I see out there but there are certain occasions/situations I make a point of it. Here are my minimal few:

1) Passing - To me if you are passing someone on the road you gotta give a friendly acknowledgement. We are not racing so take your right hand off of your handlebars and give a slight wave. Makes everyone feel good. Hey I'm on a bike you're on a bike. "Morning!"

2) Coming towards each other - If your on a bike path/side road with hardly anyone around/remote location, give a little nod. "Howdy"

3) At a stop light together - You don't need to strike up a conversation but you gotta give, at minimum, a wave/nod/smile at a stop light. "Nice looking rig you got there"

Hey you don't have to acknowledge anyone out there, it's your world too, but in the famous words of one Mr. Wooderson "It'd be a lot cooler if you did (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_r6KvlIPAl8)"

Cheers!

I agree, but cyclists often aren't a friendly bunch.

laupsi
03-12-2013, 01:15 PM
I can always use another friend, I always wave

charlie68
03-12-2013, 01:16 PM
I always give a small wave to cyclists I see while riding. Most of the time, when I ride, it is with a small group of friends and a purely social activity.

MattTuck
03-12-2013, 01:18 PM
Yeah, the only time I do not wave is when I'm bombing a descent and I see riders going up the other way. Usually just yell, "Lookin' good!" or "dance on the pedals!" or something like that... usually to gaped mouths.

gavingould
03-12-2013, 01:29 PM
used to say hi a lot more, but a lot of people gave me the stink-eye.
nod or extension of fingers usually suffices, and if they don't return the sentiment, i didn't do so much to be put out by it...

EDS
03-12-2013, 01:32 PM
On some rides, I will see over a hundred riders coming in the other direction. I will typically give a waive or a nod unless hammering or if the person doesn't look in my general direction, but I am sure I miss some people. That said, doesn't matter to me if people waive or not.

beeatnik
03-12-2013, 01:55 PM
I'm kind of done with being too friendly on the road because non-kitted riders dont wave back and guys in kit are too focused on their "training." The only dudes who seem to always offer a pleasant hello are guys with mirrors and primal wear jerseys.

On Sat a buddy and I were riding down a residential street with a sharrows in the middle of one of LA's most upscale neighborhoods. A fit, attractive serious-looking female cyclist on a mountain bike (29er) crossed the intersection as we prepared to stop. I gave her a quick nod, although it was an on the ground decision as most female cyclists (most women in LA) do not want any unsolicited attention. She missed my subtle head wave and a few seconds later, probably half a block away, she screamed, "good morning, guys!" in a very irritated tone. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Fishbike
03-12-2013, 02:01 PM
I usually try to wave or nod or say something brief. I like the feeling of comraderie as a result of having something in common. I find cyclists more willing to engage than runners on the whole.

malcolm
03-12-2013, 02:02 PM
Interesting story, at least to me.

I was on the mtn bike a week or so ago and flatted. My spare tube's stem was too short for the rims I was running so I was stuck pushing. It was only a mile or so to the road with a short cut through the woods. I passed six or eight mtn bikers including one when I was so far off the trail I'm surprised he could see me and everyone asked if I needed help. Once I got to the road still had about a half mile to go and must have had 15 roadies pass me and only two asked if I needed help. Most rode on by with their gaze fixed ahead. I stop and ask even when I'm in my car.

shovelhd
03-12-2013, 02:07 PM
MTB spare kit:
can of sealant

Roadie spare kit:
tube
patches
boot
pump or CO2 with Presta valve head
tire levers

Now how was a roadie supposed to help you?

parris
03-12-2013, 02:14 PM
Since I got back into riding several years ago about the only time I DON'T wave to someone is literally if I don't see them. If I see someone on the side of the road I'll stop and offer help. It's not the right way or the wrong way but it's how I am.

Vientomas
03-12-2013, 02:25 PM
I waive, acknowledge and/or speak to any cyclist I see and always stop to inquire if those with mechanical troubles need any assistance, including using my phone to call for a motor vehicle to pick them up.

pitonpat
03-12-2013, 02:25 PM
I always wave, but typically only see a couple of other riders on the roads around me..... usually other grey haired geezers like me!

EVERY time I've had a mechanical or flatted, other riders have stopped or slowed to ask if they could help. I've even had drivers stop and ask if I'm OK. My area (rural) must be bike friendly, as I've rarely experienced anything more nasty than a car full of teens honking & waving as they go by....

My problem is that in my other life as a building contractor, I drive one of those 4x4 trucks that seem to engender so much enmity from road riders. I wish there were some way for me to signal.....I'm one of you! without giving the mistaken impression that I'm bitching because you're taking up "my" road.

jimmythefly
03-12-2013, 02:26 PM
I always say good morning when passing people on the way in to work.

When people pass me, if they don't say anything, I am sure to give an extra hearty GOOD MORNING! as I re-pass them, with a still and calm expression on my face, showing no extra exertion whatsoever needed to match and exceed their speed.

CAT6 LYFE

gdw
03-12-2013, 02:32 PM
I try to always acknowledge other riders. It takes absolutely no energy to smile and lift a few fingers off the bar to wave.

"I was on the mtn bike a week or so ago and flatted. My spare tube's stem was too short for the rims I was running so I was stuck pushing. It was only a mile or so to the road with a short cut through the woods. I passed six or eight mtn bikers including one when I was so far off the trail I'm surprised he could see me and everyone asked if I needed help. Once I got to the road still had about a half mile to go and must have had 15 roadies pass me and only two asked if I needed help. Most rode on by with their gaze fixed ahead. I stop and ask even when I'm in my car."

Unfortunately that's all too common around Boulder.

"Roadie spare kit:
tube
patches
boot
tire levers

Now how was a roadie supposed to help you?"

You might not be able to help but not asking is pathetic and the mark of a true asshat. imo

zap
03-12-2013, 02:36 PM
I agree, but cyclists often aren't a friendly bunch.

Ha, ride a full suspension mtb on the road and see how roadies treat you.

Two years ago, about 5 weeks after I broke my foot (week and a half out of the hospital due to a resulting clot) I was toddling around on my mtb. The foot was still busted and in a splint and I was on some interesting blood thinners so the mtb was perfect. Really low gear for climbs.

Anyhow, this group of cyclists wiz by me on a downhill and the last bloke yelled at me to get off the road as I had impeded his group :rolleyes:

***. Anyhow, the bastard was fat so I passed his sorry azz on the next climb. Bloke was huffing and puffing and I just spun right by him broken foot and all. Normally I would have said hello but this guy deserved zero acknowledgement of his existence on this planet.

mvrider
03-12-2013, 02:38 PM
I always try to say "hi", nod, or give some other sign of recognition. Not every roadie responds. Sometimes I feel that female cyclists may be suspicious of overly friendly male cyclists.

When I spot someone at the side of the road, I shout, "Got everything you need?" I've even offered a spare tube to a roadie who I saw blow his last tube from afar. As he thanked me, I told him it was good karma, and to do the same next time he saw someone with a flat.

However, my MTB friends claim that roadies are not as friendly as MTBers. I'm not one, so I wouldn't know.

jmoore
03-12-2013, 02:38 PM
Do you wave at other drivers on the road? Yeah, me either.

Sometimes I'll wave to a fellow cyclist, but usually not. I don't care either way.

azrider
03-12-2013, 02:45 PM
Best analogy I heard regarding roadies and mtb dudes.

Roadies - Cats

MTB'rs - Dogs

svelocity
03-12-2013, 02:59 PM
"...and don't even get me started on Tri guys..."

My point of bringing this up wasn't to generalize or rant about groups but to encourage all of us to be just a bit more courteous out there to other cyclists. Save your anger for our common enemy...the cell phone talking - no turn signaling - 1000 watt stereo - tinted window - extreme lifted truck - with balls hanging from the hitch - driver... oh wait no generalizations :p

Len J
03-12-2013, 02:59 PM
One more time..........

zap
03-12-2013, 03:44 PM
One more time..........

Some are new here...........but yes, probably the fifth go around on this subject for some of us.

jmoore
03-12-2013, 03:46 PM
Some are new here...........but yes, probably the fifth go around on this subject for some of us.

Only the 5th?

holliscx
03-12-2013, 03:58 PM
If the OP likes people to wave at him when he passes I suggest he buy a pickup truck and move to south Georgia. As far as the bike I find people that ride the least wave the most and vice versa. If you put in the miles you see so many cyclists waving to every single one is silly, but an odd Bob out for his weekend warrior ride on Sunday in USPS bibs w/ Discovery jersey will wave at every bloke he rides past.

witcombusa
03-12-2013, 04:01 PM
I agree. We are supposed to be having fun out there and a little conviviality can only add to the pleasant atmosphere. Remember the guy you cold-shouldered may be the guy you want to borrow a tube from two miles up the road. :)

Also, I have been riding motorcycles so long that I remember when there were so few of us that it wasn't uncommon for me to ride for hours wiothout seeing another rider. I think we always waved because motorcycles then were so unreliable we knew we might need help on any ride.

That was true for sure back in the 70's!

I'll usually give a wave to other motos.....except those on Motor Company equipment that is :eek:

oldpotatoe
03-12-2013, 04:03 PM
If the OP likes people to wave at him when he passes I suggest he buy a pickup truck and move to south Georgia. As far as the bike I find people that ride the least wave the most and vice versa. If you put in the miles you see so many cyclists waving to every single one is silly, but an odd Bob out for his weekend warrior ride on Sunday in USPS bibs w/ Discovery jersey will wave at every bloke he rides past.

Teehee..

the only guy that doesn't say something and it pisses me off if I'm getting passed, like on a shoulder and then guy says nothing. I would like to know he is there so if I need to swerve to miss some crap on the road, I don't hit him and take us both down. For the others...most don't wave, either started or returned..doesn't bother me at all.

Ken Robb
03-12-2013, 04:04 PM

I'll usually give a wave to other motos.....except those on Motor Company equipment that is :eek:

Even truer in the 50's and 60's--right Thompson?:banana:

Fivethumbs
03-12-2013, 04:06 PM
If anyone takes the time to acknowledge my existence in a friendly way, I like to respond likewise.

bluesea
03-12-2013, 04:07 PM
...and guys in kit are too focused on their "training."

Maybe you keep running into them one minute too early, or one minute too late?

It was the peace sign in the '70s. :)

firerescuefin
03-12-2013, 04:07 PM
If anyone takes the time to acknowledge my existence in a friendly way, I like to respond likewise.

Gets it.

Tony T
03-12-2013, 04:09 PM
As far as the bike I find people that ride the least wave the most and vice versa.

I don't get it. You look at every cyclist you see on the road? (how else could you make that statement). And you remember them to assess how many miles they put in? (I may wave (a lift of a fingers off the bar, not really a wave), but I couldn't tell you if I ever rode past them before)

svelocity
03-12-2013, 04:26 PM
...to have brought this up again. New blood here. Usually I do a search before I post. It was just was on my mind.

Carry on...

Louis
03-12-2013, 04:27 PM
One more time..........

This keeps coming up because folks who are new to cycling don't know that some other folks (and we all know who those folks tend to be) for whatever reason, don't bother or don't care to wave to other cyclists. It understandably bothers the newbie, who wants to be accepted part of the "brotherhood" so he makes on comment on the forum.

(Either that, or every now and then folks who know exactly what they are doing like to take a stick and give the hornet's nest a whack.)

Tony T
03-12-2013, 04:27 PM
...to have brought this up again. New blood here. Usually I do a search before I post. It was just was on my mind.

Carry on...

Why are you apologizing?

svelocity
03-12-2013, 04:34 PM
This keeps coming up because folks who are new to cycling don't know that some other folks (and we all know who those folks tend to be) for whatever reason, don't bother or don't care to wave to other cyclists. It understandably bothers the newbie, who wants to be accepted part of the "brotherhood" so he makes on comment on the forum.

Oh you nailed it... :rolleyes:

Tony T
03-12-2013, 04:44 PM
More likely the older riders have poor eyesight and can't see the 'wave' :banana:

Louis
03-12-2013, 04:45 PM
My solution has been to calibrate the enthusiasm of my greeting to what I assess is the probability of a reply. If the other rider is obviously a fred (like me) I say hello and wave. If the other guy/guys are obviously racers in training I give him/them a very very brief wave or a tiny head nod and a very short "Hey."

I no longer really care if the other guy responds or not. I want to be friendly, but realize that some guys may feel differently about that, and that's their problem, not mine.

beeatnik
03-12-2013, 04:47 PM
Hey Louis maybe the OP should have started a thread about LA doing the bike portion of TRIs in his speedos?

virtual nod to svelocity for caring about common courtesy

majorpat
03-12-2013, 04:49 PM
Maybe you live where there are lots of riders and it would be silly to wave for half your ride. Me, I see maybe 4 or 5 folks on an after work ride so I wave. Do what you want but don't assume that I don't ride much because I wave...that's a foolish assumption.

Louis
03-12-2013, 04:57 PM
Hey Louis maybe the OP should have started a thread about LA doing the bike portion of TRIs in his speedos?

Why would all Los Angeles riders do that? Inquiring minds want to know.

biker72
03-12-2013, 05:02 PM
More likely the older riders have poor eyesight and can't see the 'wave' :banana:

I resemble that remark....:)
Seriously, I do wave most of the time. Some wave back...some don't.

Vientomas
03-12-2013, 05:18 PM
Anyhow, this group of cyclists wiz by me on a downhill and the last bloke yelled at me to get off the road as I had impeded his group :rolleyes:

Maybe it was Rugby.

HenryA
03-12-2013, 05:24 PM

Well, this is apparently way too human for the average cyclist. :eek:

I wave to almost everyone - old ladies on their front porches, guys in pickup trucks, walkers, motorcyclists, other bicyclists. By far, the group who most often does not respond is the bicyclists. I'm pretty used to it and expect it but still marvel at the phenomenon.

Jason E
03-12-2013, 05:24 PM
I wave. Or nod if I can. Sometimes it is just a finger or two raise cause I'm beat. Now that I think about it, a head nudge or finger raise at 20-25 ft away at 15-20mph each could be missed and I could be the giant douche. Well, I am a huge douche, but that's another thread.

Let's continue to waive if we want and assume people who don't waive are giving an eyebrow raise, and you just cant see it cause they are wearing some honkin' glasses.

There, now everything is rosy.

vqdriver
03-12-2013, 06:00 PM
i typically try to make eye contact with pretty much anyone i'm passing, cyclist, runner, lady on a porch, etc. if they look at me i'll certainly give em a wave or nod. if they ignore me, then no.

one person in particular i always acknowledge is the gardener who stops his leaf blower when he sees me approaching. that is very much appreciated.

yakstone
03-12-2013, 06:17 PM
I wave most times or if I pass someone I always let them know that I am passing and say hello, morning, or some appropriate greeting. I just try to be friendly, or not be a dick, however you want to look at it.
Some people tend to take things a bit too seriously. I am out to have fun and enjoy the experience.

pdmtong
03-12-2013, 06:35 PM
If I am passing someone at approx the same speed I say hello. If its clear they are just rolling along like me and on an interesting bike I may ask a question, but also gauge interest in a brief conversation. Kind of like sitting down next to someone on an airplane. some talk, some dont some wont shut up.

if I am passing someone with much greater speed I dont say anything. its up to me to pass safely.

If people are coming the other direction I never wave. there are just way too many people. the only time I might do so is if I am a long way out, and the speeds of both of us are relatively slower.

the only thing to me worse than inccessant waving is team-in training chirping "car up" like a bad echo.

all this said, if someone waves at me I try to respond, depending on my speed and how safe it is. but, i am not the guy waving at everyone nor do I expect people to wave at me.

man, I cant believe I replied...got sucked in for sure.

malcolm
03-12-2013, 07:00 PM
MTB spare kit:
can of sealant

Roadie spare kit:
tube
patches
boot
tire levers

Now how was a roadie supposed to help you?

Didn't want help but they could of asked. I carry a tube, granted a different size.

BCS
03-12-2013, 07:25 PM
If waving is so simple, why do so many people suck at it :cool:

beeatnik
03-12-2013, 08:45 PM
one person in particular i always acknowledge is the gardener who stops his leaf blower when he sees me approaching. that is very much appreciated.

In LA, where even administrative assistants have gardeners, that courtesy is much appreciated.

shovelhd
03-13-2013, 07:03 AM
You might not be able to help but not asking is pathetic and the mark of a true asshat. imo

You know you can't help, but you should stop anyway, otherwise you are an asshat.

That's some convoluted logic.

BumbleBeeDave
03-13-2013, 07:13 AM
You know you can't help, but you should stop anyway, otherwise you are an asshat.

. . . keep things friendly and minimize the awarding of hats. :rolleyes:

Personally, I'd stop anyway and ask if they need help. Can't hurt, might help. Where's the harm?

I might not have the right tube, but I do have tire irons, CO2, patch kit, and cell phone. I could at least call a ride for them. We need to stick together, not push each other away.

BBD

shovelhd
03-13-2013, 07:19 AM
I would have stopped too, if it was safe. Sometimes it's not. But that shouldn't mean that someone that doesn't is an asshat.

oldpotatoe
03-13-2013, 07:24 AM
If waving is so simple, why do so many people suck at it :cool:

Priceless!!!

BTW- I stopped and asked a woman if she needed help and she yelled at me to go away...(??)

fuzzalow
03-13-2013, 07:30 AM
We need to stick together, not push each other away.

Agree verily.

Serious cyclists are often the biggest DBs to their own ilk of any sporting activity group I have encountered. Jeebus, we are all cyclists and all play the same dangerous game in traffic teeming with "better than average" drivers.

Any reason, mostly imagined, to rag on another cyclist - wrong bike; lesser bike; greater poseur bike; right jersey, wrong jersey, too fast; too slow; right socks; wrong socks; socks too high; socks too low; sunglasses under helmet straps; helmet straps over sunglasses; stem too short; stem too high;... ... ... ... ...

"We have met the enemy, and he is us" - Pogo

cfox
03-13-2013, 07:33 AM

Where I live, this is the attitude of the typical, insecure cat 2/3 "hotshot". Amateur "racer guys" who take themselves too seriously are cringe-worthy and sad. It's funny, though, the pros I've come across riding are always friendly. They ride a lot, I think.

William
03-13-2013, 07:50 AM
Agree verily.

Serious cyclists are often the biggest DBs to their own ilk of any sporting activity group I have encountered. Jeebus, we are all cyclists and all play the same dangerous game in traffic teeming with "better than average" drivers.

Any reason, mostly imagined, to rag on another cyclist - wrong bike; lesser bike; greater poseur bike; right jersey, wrong jersey, too fast; too slow; right socks; wrong socks; socks too high; socks too low; sunglasses under helmet straps; helmet straps over sunglasses; stem too short; stem too high;... ... ... ... ...

"We have met the enemy, and he is us" - Pogo

I have found this to be true to a point. I've also run into some very friendly folks out there on the road. Probably more friendly than not. I will agree that in all the sports I've been involved in over the years, cycling does seem to have a larger percentage of asses and snobs by comparison. My favorites are the ones who would snicker at the bike I was riding and the serious trash talkers during races. For the snobs who made fun of my bike, I just made sure I smoked them in the race. For the trash talkers (I'm talking out of line type of trashing): I really found it amusing how many would talk chit during the race, but if I wanted to discuss it with them afterward, they would backpedal faster than they could ride forward.:rolleyes:

As for the wave?
It's weird, but it is what it is. I don't think any less of someone if they wave or nod my way, and I have no problem waving or nodding to someone else. Wave, don't wave, whatever. I at least will attempt a little civility and if I get it back, great! If I don't, no big deal...at least I tried. http://www.modacity.net/forums/styles/smilies/shrug.gif

William

Walter
03-13-2013, 07:53 AM
[QUOTE=pdmtong;1310582]***

if I am passing someone with much greater speed I dont say anything. its up to me to pass safely.
QUOTE]

I always try to let folks know I am sliding past them no matter what the speed differential. I know I sure appreciate it. Keeps folks (me included) from changing position on the road, weaving around, braking suddenly, etc., at a potentially dangerous time. If they know I am coming up, they pay more attention and keep a steady line. It is indeed up to the passer to do it safely, some notice just helps the other person not to create a hazard.

BumbleBeeDave
03-13-2013, 08:03 AM
I really found it amusing how many would talk chit during the race, but if I wanted to discuss it with them afterward, they would backpedal faster than they could ride forward.:rolleyes: http://www.modacity.net/forums/styles/smilies/shrug.gif

William

. . . it was only when you got off the bike they realized you are 9 feet tall? :rolleyes: :p

BBD

William
03-13-2013, 08:10 AM
. . . it was only when you got off the bike they realized you are 9 feet tall? :rolleyes: :p

BBD

Well, there is that.;)

William

shovelhd
03-13-2013, 09:42 AM
[QUOTE=pdmtong;1310582]I always try to let folks know I am sliding past them no matter what the speed differential. I know I sure appreciate it. Keeps folks (me included) from changing position on the road, weaving around, braking suddenly, etc., at a potentially dangerous time. If they know I am coming up, they pay more attention and keep a steady line. It is indeed up to the passer to do it safely, some notice just helps the other person not to create a hazard.

If you are talking about a group of experienced riders, maybe. I never announce my presence when passing (on your left). 99.9% of the time the rider ahead turns to look back and veers into my path. I slow, wait for a safe opportunity, and wave as I go by. I guess that makes me an cat 2 hotshot asshat, too. Where's that asshat smiley?

firerescuefin
03-13-2013, 09:47 AM
:butt: ....this would suffice.

Joachim
03-13-2013, 09:49 AM
:butt: ....this would suffice.

And when I come up behind you I shout "SLOWER RIDER ON THE RIGHT!! ON A PARLEE!!"..

firerescuefin
03-13-2013, 09:51 AM
And when I come up behind you I shout "SLOWER RIDER ON THE RIGHT!! ON A PARLEE!!"..

Perhaps I should put some masking tape over the Parlee:help:

beeatnik
03-13-2013, 01:34 PM
Priceless!!!

BTW- I stopped and asked a woman if she needed help and she yelled at me to go away...(??)

As I mentioned earlier, damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Chicks on bikes, I tend to stay away. They're usually not loving the world after dealing with all the cat calls and whistling from idiots. Riding in the urban jungle is extra treacherous for them. Although, that UK study shows drivers give them more room...

pbarry
03-13-2013, 01:41 PM
The regular cyclist wave went out with downtube shifters as OEM equipment, (Rivendells/the limited Specialized from last year don't count). The biggest snobbery I've encountered regarding equipment has been in southern Marin County. Boulder riders are pretty strandoffish close to town. More remote rides, it's pretty friendly.

tmf
03-13-2013, 01:53 PM
Where I ride, over 80% of the riders I see wave to me. I try to wave and give a smile to everyone I see during a ride, and that might encourage others to wave in response.

William
03-13-2013, 01:56 PM
...Where's that asshat smiley?

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/images/smilies/asshat2.gif

;):D

William

rugbysecondrow
03-14-2013, 06:45 AM
Maybe it was Rugby.

No smiley emoticon, LOL, haha or anything else.

My feeling is really hurt now. :eek:

christian
03-14-2013, 07:23 AM
In Northern Westchester, I'd say 80% of the riders wave, waggle a finger or two, or give a head nod. And there aren't that many of us out there. Unless I'm doing structured work and focusing on keeping my retinas attached, I try to wave. I ride bikes for fun, after all.

AgilisMerlin
03-14-2013, 07:25 AM
sometimes i am just staring at the ground, when riding :eek:

i don't wave at fellow car drivers.

just some thoughts

nighthawk
03-14-2013, 07:26 AM
Priceless!!!

She was yelling at your mustache. I wouldn't take it personally.

Ahneida Ride
03-14-2013, 08:53 AM

BBD

Ha ! good one !

I still remember the "vette" story .... I so hope that was true. :banana: :banana:

shovelhd
03-14-2013, 11:01 AM
I ride bikes for fun, after all.

I tell myself that every time I line up.

William
03-14-2013, 11:17 AM
Ha ! good one !

I still remember the "vette" story .... I so hope that was true. :banana: :banana:

Cross my heart, that happend!:)

William

jpw
03-14-2013, 11:47 AM
I'll acknowledge another Serotta cyclist. Anything else in beneath me :p

OtayBW
03-14-2013, 03:14 PM
I always wave or flick a wrist, or something - EVEN if I know that my bike is clearly COOLER (and faster, being black in color...) - and always immediately before I silently cuss them out for not waving back. :banana:

etu
03-14-2013, 04:23 PM
There's an element of big city vs small town culture clash here. When I riding across the Golden Gate Bridge or riding around Woodside. There is no way I would wave to the other hundreds of cyclists.
Also sometimes a ride is quiet me time where I really don't want to socialize. Of course not returning a wave or a hello is rude, but not choosing to initiate contact is not. Being overly annoyed by an "asocial" cyclist indicates a lack of the very type of considerate attitude the OP would like to advocate.

oldpotatoe
03-15-2013, 06:46 AM
She was yelling at your mustache. I wouldn't take it personally.

But what about mustac.......oh, never mind, that's too crude for a public forum...USN humor.

fiataccompli
03-15-2013, 07:16 AM
I wave or offer a hand or couple fingers out to the side whenever I am able (ie, sometimes I'm too pre-occupied with whatever I'm doing & sorta miss whatever rider is on-coming). I've always driven old sports cars & I ride a motorcycle & both groups of drivers/riders have an understood comaraderie on the road. Hell, I do the same when I pass motorcycles or when I'm on my motorcycle & pass cyclists. As far as waving back, I don't give it a whole lot of thought either way. Like most groups, a certain percentage of us are probably pricks anyway, right? Enjoy the ride & I'm glad to see other folks out on two wheels regardless of personality, riding style or whatever else. It's all good.

Tony T
03-15-2013, 07:27 AM
Good point, I just realized that while I raise a few fingers as a wave to oncoming cyclists, I never notice if they wave back, as I'm looking straight ahead and never really look at the cyclist

cdn_bacon
03-15-2013, 08:30 AM
Always wave to anyone on two wheels that is pedalling.

if someone is drafting behind me, I wave in another fashion.

Seramount
03-15-2013, 10:16 AM
the amount of angst and hand-wringing that grown people express over not being 'validated' by another rider is truly bizarre.

sometimes I wave, but sometimes I don't. depends on a large number of variables.

the other day I was riding with the express purpose of blocking out the recent mental images of watching my mother die...

if you waved at me and didn't get a response, perhaps that had something to do with it.

it's not always about you.

BumbleBeeDave
03-15-2013, 10:26 AM
I wave. If they don't wave back, that's life.

Unless they are wearing Rapha. In that case I chase them down and beat them to a pulp.

:p

BBD

the amount of angst and hand-wringing that grown people express over not being 'validated' by another rider is truly bizarre.

sometimes I wave, but sometimes I don't. depends on a large number of variables.

the other day I was riding with the express purpose of blocking out the recent mental images of watching my mother die...

if you waved at me and didn't get a response, perhaps that had something to do with it.

it's not always about you.

Hindmost
03-15-2013, 11:46 AM
A couple of weeks back on a short grade outside of Woodside I flatted. Sunny day, green fields, I am changing the tube. The vast majority of cyclists coming up the hill inquire as to my well-being.

Me:

"Nope, thanks."
"I'm good, thanks."
"Thanks, no, I'm good."
"I'm ok, thanks."
"Good, thanks."
"Ok, thanks."
...and so on.

pavel
03-15-2013, 12:51 PM
i tend to wave or acknowledge cyclists.

Having said that, seems pretty entitled to think that the world owes you a wave.

charliedid
03-15-2013, 05:57 PM
Always a judgement call...and in my experience it's all about what you look like and what you are riding.

Just because you are on a bike, I feel no need to always say hello. Seems other folks feel the same way.

Sometimes you do, sometimes you don't.

PS please do not ride up and sart talking about my bike.

gaucho753
03-15-2013, 06:23 PM
I used to try to be nice and give a shoulder rub, or, on hot day, a cooling spray from my water bottle. People just don't appreciate kindness like they should.

Kidding aside, there's a lot of cyclists on the road where I ride, and I don't think it's fair to expect everyone of them to lift their hands off the bars every time one sees another cyclist. A slight head nod is usually what I do, and I don't get offended if I'm not greeted with a wave. One the other hand, I will always ask if a stopped rider needs a hand.

charliedid
03-15-2013, 06:46 PM
I used to try to be nice and give a shoulder rub, or, on hot day, a cooling spray from my water bottle. People just don't appreciate kindness like they should.

Kidding aside, there's a lot of cyclists on the road where I ride, and I don't think it's fair to expect everyone of them to lift their hands off the bars every time one sees another cyclist. A slight head nod is usually what I do, and I don't get offended if I'm not greeted with a wave. One the other hand, I will always ask if a stopped rider needs a hand.

"One the other hand, I will always ask if a stopped rider needs a hand"

Amen to that.

Decker_
03-16-2013, 03:35 PM
When no one is much around I even wave to motorized sharers of road.

h2oxtc
03-16-2013, 05:30 PM
If I look faster than you, if I want to appear to be faster than you, if I may be faster than you, if I am faster than you, then I don't have to bother acknowledging your existence.

lol ... and I thought I was the only one who thought this :)

cdn_bacon
04-29-2013, 07:21 AM
30 riders= 3 waves.

fuzzalow
04-29-2013, 08:17 AM
I did happenstance with 2 riders, among others, this weekend who were going in the opposite direction. They could have been fairly new riders based on the clothes they were wearing - all sort of matched together in manufacturer and look; not yet bold or confident enough in their cycling persona's to dress discordantly. I did not notice what type of bikes they rode.

They saw me approaching and looked across to me, as if seeking acknowledgement, a tentative wave just waiting to be unfurled. Because somewhere they read about cyclists waving to each other. They weren't yet sure this was entirely true. They wanted to be cyclists and they wanted to feel like they could fit in and belong. They wanted interactions with other cyclists as comradeship that echoed the joyful experience of riding their bikes. Uncertain as to how it truly plays out in the real world.

I was absolutely delighted to wave to them, almost in greeting as much as in welcome. "Welcome to our sport, I am glad you are out here" I would have shouted except for velocity and direction in making such words to fall on unhearing ears.

I had a good weekend. Even exchanged pleasantries with a motorist, always nice to see them mouth "You're welcome" to me from a closed SUV after letting me pass as I said "Thank you" from outside their isolation tank. Cordialities mouthed and unheard yet clearly understood.

Only 1 DBR (d__che bag roadie). No recollection of who, what or where except the mental note that there was numerically just one.

I have no memory or time for them.

redir
04-29-2013, 09:00 AM
When I used to ride a motor cycle we motor cyclists always waved to each other so I always thought this was common with bikes too. I always wave unless it's across a divided highway or some such thing. Heck out here in the country every one waves at everyone else so I even wave at car drivers going by. It's good bike advocacy in that spirit.

rugbysecondrow
04-29-2013, 09:51 AM
I competed in a two day Crossfit competition this weekend. High energy, highly competitive, full of physically and emotionally spent folks. You couldn't ask for a a friendlier bunch to cheer, root and congratulate even the last place team.

I love riding my bike, but will never be a cyclist.

BumbleBeeDave
04-29-2013, 10:20 AM
. . . this past weekend. Tiny little old guy--must have been near 80.

I chased him down and beat him up . . . :eek: :p ;)

BBD

bluesea
04-29-2013, 10:45 AM
Yesterday I returned acknowledgements at 25mph, across 6 lanes and a steel barrier.

bluesea
04-29-2013, 10:48 AM
I love riding my bike, but will never be a cyclist.

I kinda figured that out along the way. :)

Black Dog
04-29-2013, 11:07 AM

He said ASK not stop.