PDA

View Full Version : Homebrewed Components

nmrt
03-12-2013, 10:41 AM
hello, everyone,
i am in a dilemna. I placed an order with Homebrewed Components (HBC) for a chainring on May 22, 2012. When I ordered, the wait was 4 weeks to receive the item. Now, 10 months later, I still have to receive it. There is also a thread on mtbr dedicated to the the misconduct of HBC and how they have not delivered products to any of their customers for the past six months.

http://forums.mtbr.com/singlespeed/homebrewed-components-undelivered-orders-831133.html#post10022624

http://forums.mtbr.com/singlespeed/homebrewed-components-694887.html

Now, at the time of my order I was unaware of these threads. If I were, I would never have placed my order. But here is where I need your opinion: What do I do now? I cannot get my money back because I paid through paypal and they have a 45 day (i think) money back policy. HBC does not respond to any of my emails. So, I am in a bind. A part of me wants to get on with my life and forget the somewhat forgettable sum of money ($55) that was for my chainring. But another part of me really wants HBC to pay me back and the hundreds of other customers that it has taken money from without delivering a product. Some have even been waiting for two years!

What do I do? HBC is based in CA and I am in CO. Any lawyers that that can chime in?
Thanks a lot.

crownjewelwl
03-12-2013, 10:45 AM
but i finally got mine when i ordered...his communication is AWFUL but he isn't a crook (i think)

i believe he decided to shut down the biz. as i understood it, he wasn't accepting new orders, but fulfilling his existing orders and then calling it quits. he decided to get "a real job".

he doesn't respond to email. one day your rings/cogs will just show up in the mail. there is no tracking.

not sure what recourse you have, but take it as a life lesson if your goods never show up. probably not worth the effort to fight it.

bicycletricycle
03-12-2013, 10:58 AM
road trip to hos location and say hello.

nrs5000
03-12-2013, 11:06 AM
Try contacting Paypal. If you funded the purchase with a credit card try them too. You probably won't get the $$ back but if you don't ask the answer is already no. The amount at stake isn't worth any sort of legal action.

thirdgenbird
03-12-2013, 11:15 AM
Sorry to hear about your situation...

(I came here expecting to see one off and customized components)

nmrt
03-12-2013, 11:16 AM
i paid through paypal but the money came out of my checking account not through my credit card. this makes my situation even worse.

i can easily forget the whole thing. but in principle there is something very wrong with it.

Try contacting Paypal. If you funded the purchase with a credit card try them too. You probably won't get the $$ back but if you don't ask the answer is already no. The amount at stake isn't worth any sort of legal action.

crownjewelwl
03-12-2013, 11:24 AM
i paid through paypal but the money came out of my checking account not through my credit card. this makes my situation even worse.

i can easily forget the whole thing. but in principle there is something very wrong with it.

of course there is something wrong with it, but i wouldnt lose sleep. i knew his reputation going in so my expectations weren't high.

my guess you'll get your product at some point.

EnginCycle
03-12-2013, 11:47 AM
We have many rings paid for that I assume won't show up. I ordered one about 1 month before and it showed up instantly and then one month later that was almost 1 year ago.

Anyway he did not charge enough in the first place and offered too many options. It was his own fault but I feel bad for him. He also should have shut down the purchasing on the site long before he did but I believe he thought he would get through it and in the end he could not because he did not charge enough.

I don't think a class action law suit is worth the effort. Some people have more money invested and as it was stated above the stuff still MIGHT show up. It makes it hard to consider some of the new chainring companies but as long as there is an inventory shown I will order them.

My $.02

-Drew

zandrrr
03-12-2013, 11:58 AM
Divide the $55 by your gross compensation per hour, and that's how many hours you should spend worrying about it. There's basically nothing you can do. Just be glad you didn't spend more than $55, accept the loss and move on. If by some chance the ring shows up, hooray. But there's almost no chance it will.

I don't mean to sound defeatist but putting any more effort or energy into trying to get your stuff is a lost cause and not worth the stress. HBC is yet another in a long line of internet-bike-startups-turned-tragic. Stick a fork in it.