PDA

View Full Version : campy brake pad replacement

Dude
12-15-2003, 12:14 PM
Who has the magical touch with getting campy brake pads out of the holders? For the love of god somebody help me because I can't get them out.

Anyone have any tips or suggestions? Thanks.

Bob H
12-15-2003, 04:56 PM
I never have trouble getting the old ones out - a pair of channel locks gripping the edges and out they come. Now getting the new ones back in... that's the real problem. Its always a wrestling match...

Bob H.

Tom Robison
12-15-2003, 05:06 PM
A little lubricant makes them slide in the holders easily.

Tom

Kevin
12-15-2003, 05:21 PM
Dude,

I gave up trying to get them out of the holders. I just ordered a whole new set. Much easier.

Kevin

Dude
12-15-2003, 06:33 PM
Thanks for the tips, I had a tough day at work that wrestling with brake pads will either relieve my stress or infuriate me to the point of explosion.

If I get frusturated, the the dancing 'nana will calm me down
:banana:

Too Tall
12-16-2003, 07:32 AM
Getting them out is fiddly work...you'll get them out just use an bench vise, a hunk of leather to protect the metal and a chisel! Seriously. Not kidding.

I had the same issue. Getting new ones in is a bear!!! The best advice I got was to use talc. It helped but geesh. What eventually worked was to get one edge in and than used a wood clamp to pop the new pad in. OMG.

Dude
12-16-2003, 09:09 AM
After a lot of cursing and swearing i got them off and the new ones in.

Thanks for the help.

davids
12-16-2003, 09:41 AM
This is an example of the kinds of little things that drive me crazy. Changing brakepads should be trivially easy - slide out the old ones, slide in the new ones... I've got very little tolerance for designs that don't take this kind of ergonomic friendliness into account. It's not as important as day-to-day operation but, damn, it matters!

I'm not casting this as a "Shimano vs. Campy" diatribe. I honestly have no idea how easy the Shimano pads are to change since, like Flydhest, I use my brakes as little as possible... But changing the pads on the Avids I use on my mountain bike is a 10-minute job, including taking the wheels off. That's how easy it should be.

D-Squared
12-16-2003, 01:06 PM
What's even worse is trying to put in Kool Stop Green brake pads into the holders. I called Kool Stop and they know this is a problem. It has something to do with how the green compound cures that makes them a little bigger than anticipated.

I use a dremel to cut away enough of the material to get it to fit in easier.

D2