PDA

View Full Version : Speedplay X versus Zero

champ
03-11-2013, 06:54 PM
Anybody out there switched from X's to Zeros? Upside/downside to the switch? Thanks

sean
03-11-2013, 08:29 PM
The biggest difference is float, right? I've actually used Zero cleats on x-series pedals to get adjustable float. Worked without issue.

deluxerider
03-11-2013, 08:35 PM
Yeah, the zeros have adjustable float and the x series does not.

cmg
03-11-2013, 08:54 PM
have zeros on one bike and x's on everything else. not a fan of the zeros. even in their most loose/free float setting it's is still too restrictive, tolerable but apparently my foot likes to move during the stoke. i came from look deltas/Keo cleats and my knees were asking for something else. the x' eliminated that problem haven't looked back since. X's at some time will be fazed out most prefer zeros.

oldpotatoe
03-12-2013, 07:19 AM
Anybody out there switched from X's to Zeros? Upside/downside to the switch? Thanks

X series, unlimited float(actually about 17 degrees either side of center). Feels like you aren't really clipped in, 'walking on ice' feeling. Zero's adjustable float, zero to about 8 degrees of center. Much more secure feeling clipped in.

I could not use X series, too much float. Went to Look, then Profit..switched to Zeros on a fixed gear(easier to get in)....then Switched to Zeros on other bicycle, never looked back, my pedal of choice. Have about 2 degrees of float.

jmoore
03-12-2013, 08:40 AM
X series, unlimited float(actually about 17 degrees either side of center). Feels like you aren't really clipped in, 'walking on ice' feeling.

I've only used Speedplay X's. I have never experienced this "walking on ice" sensation. Maybe I'm institutionalized but I have always felt very secure using them. Even on the hardest efforts, including on the track, I feel solid.

YMMV

Mark McM
03-12-2013, 08:47 AM
X Series:
Larger angle of rotational float, less friction in rotation.
Easier to clip in.
Round springs wear out more quickly.

Zeros:
Smaller (but adjustable) angle of rotational float, more friction in rotation.
Harder to clip in.
Flat springs wear out more slowly.

torquer
03-12-2013, 01:09 PM
have zeros on one bike and x's on everything else. not a fan of the zeros. even in their most loose/free float setting it's is still too restrictive, tolerable but apparently my foot likes to move during the stoke. i came from look deltas/Keo cleats and my knees were asking for something else. the x' eliminated that problem haven't looked back since. X's at some time will be fazed out most prefer zeros.
Of six replies so far, this is the only first-hand account by someone who's actually tried both for any length of time. I strongly suspect that the zeros appeal to users of other brands, who are used to the limited range of float, or who couldn't get used to the "unlimited" float of the x-series.
Personally, I switched from Looks to Speedplay x-series soon after they first came out; it did feel like "walking on ice" at first, but I soon got used to them, and never saw any reason to switch.

cmg
03-12-2013, 01:15 PM
X Series:

Zeros:

the harder to clip in really applies to the Zeros. my left foot takes forever.

Anyone know a place where i could just buy these springs?

djg21
03-12-2013, 02:30 PM
Of six replies so far, this is the only first-hand account by someone who's actually tried both for any length of time. I strongly suspect that the zeros appeal to users of other brands, who are used to the limited range of float, or who couldn't get used to the "unlimited" float of the x-series.
Personally, I switched from Looks to Speedplay x-series soon after they first came out; it did feel like "walking on ice" at first, but I soon got used to them, and never saw any reason to switch.

I've owned and used both Xs and Zeros. IMO, there is no reason to purchase Xs. Functionally, the pedals work similarly. The ability to restrict float (or conversely, to adjust the exit angle) on the Zeros is helpful. Through trial and error, I've found over the years that I prefer, and in fact use, much less float than the Xs allow.

I also find the Zero flat springs to last much longer. I'd wear flat spots in the outsides of springs on Xs, which would make my foot feel tilted on the pedal. I'd have to change cleats regularly to avoid this. The Zero springs need replacement far less frequently.

DfCas
03-12-2013, 02:53 PM
I've had both. The Zeros have a more solid,connected feeling while the X's allow more flex and float at the the cleat/pedal interface. I prefer the feeling of the Zeros.

torquer
03-13-2013, 12:05 PM
... I've actually used Zero cleats on x-series pedals to get adjustable float. Worked without issue.
Really? Speedplay (or their retailers, at least) tell you not to do this.
But it would be an economical way of trying out the Zeros. (Not that $40 for cleats is cheap, but at least that's cheaper than new pedals.)

Pete Mckeon
03-13-2013, 12:24 PM
I have used both for many years (as a non racer) X is easier for me to get into and out of. Never had one wear out faster than other.:bike:Pete

bluesea
03-13-2013, 12:36 PM
In the early 90's the X2 were my first clipless road pedals, and the loosey goosey first ride was zany in a fun way. Although I later moved on, sticking with them really helped improve my pedal stroke.

Puget Pounder
03-13-2013, 01:48 PM
I prefer the Zeroes. With the screws opened all the way, there is way more float than I, or anyone I know, needs. I'll +1 that the X's do feel like ice. Easier to get into, but doesn't feel as solid to me.

dlui
03-13-2013, 09:23 PM
X Series:

Zeros:

the harder to clip in really applies to the Zeros. my left foot takes forever.

Anyone know a place where i could just buy these springs?

I used my original X-2 cleats for 8-9 years, noticeable wear on the springs but functioned normally. Applied bee's wax to help engagement every two weeks. Finally changed out cleats when the outer metal plate wore through from walking. X-2 for me

sean
03-14-2013, 12:25 AM
Really? Speedplay (or their retailers, at least) tell you not to do this.
But it would be an economical way of trying out the Zeros. (Not that $40 for cleats is cheap, but at least that's cheaper than new pedals.)

Yep. I had zeros on one bike and X series on another. Only used Zero Cleats. True that they aren't officially compatible, but if you google around a bit you'll find people who have done the same.

champ
03-18-2013, 10:59 AM
Thanks for all the replies so far. I have been on X's since they first came out but am weary of the frequent cleat replacement. There definitely was a walking on ice feeling at first but I think any other pedal would feel restrictive in comparison. At least for a while..

Do any Zero users set the limit screws to allow the max float and if so does it make the pedal to cleat connection feel less secure than with a tighter float limit? Also, assuming you keep them clean and lubed what kind of mileage are you getting from a set of Zero cleats? Thanks!

Lewis Moon
03-18-2013, 12:11 PM
I'll pile on: I've used the Xs since the original all aluminum body. Now, anything else feels weird....and I switched from slotted cleats. I'm pretty pissed to hear that Speedplay is phasing them out. Time to stock up? Frequent clear replacement? Define (miles) frequent.

Mark McM
03-18-2013, 12:22 PM
I'll pile on: I've used the Xs since the original all aluminum body. Now, anything else feels weird....and I switched from slotted cleats. I'm pretty pissed to hear that Speedplay is phasing them out. Time to stock up? Frequent clear replacement? Define (miles) frequent.

Where did you hear that Speedplay is phasing out the X series pedals?

1centaur
03-18-2013, 01:23 PM
I switched from Xs to Os because I wanted my muscles not to be fighting any tendency to rotate farther than my knees needed and thus rob me of potential power. I've tried Looks and Time and never liked the engagement and usually got some knee pain, so I need SOME real float but not all the way out to the limit. I also like that I can set the float individually since knees never match each other.

The key to the switch is believing that just because a foot CAN rotate in the pedaling motion does not mean it MUST in order to be injury free. Years of pain-free knees on 0s confirms that notion to me.

dwb
03-18-2013, 05:43 PM
I used the X5 for a couple years and then switched to zeros. The larger float on the X5 was preferable, however I really liked the hard stop before the unclip on the zeros. You can rotate until you fall off the X's, but the zeros give feedback before unclipping. At first I set the zero cleat limits wide open, but eventually turned in the inside adjustment to prevent my heels from rubbing or kicking the cranks.