PDA

View Full Version : motorist harassment incident …

CSTRider
03-10-2013, 10:06 PM
Thought I’d share a sketchy high speed incident I experienced last week … I apologize about the length, but thought it might be worth sharing.

Bottom line up front: I’m fine, and the Colorado State Highway Patrol (CSHP) was very receptive to listening to my story and offered options. I am writing to encourage anyone who experiences something similar to do everything possible to stay cool, record as much information as possible, and then contact the appropriate authorities (city, county or state patrol, depending on road) as quickly as possible to report what happened.

In my situation (details below) I was offered three options:

Option #1: record the incident and place the license plate in an aggressive driver data base … in Colorado, three complaints can result in mandatory training/driver’s license retesting, etc;

Option #2: same as #1 but have the state trooper make a “personal phone call” to inform the driver he’s in their aggressive driver data base and on their radar screen; or

Option #3: same as #1, plus file a formal complaint; have a state trooper investigate and (if warranted) file charges and go to court as a witness.

The trooper I spoke with was willing to act on my choice, but said without additional witnesses it could be difficult to prove in court. So I chose door #2. I understand that others might have made a different choice, and I certainly would have if I had at least one additional witness.

For those who are interested, here are details about the actual incident: I live in south Boulder, about 3.5 miles from the “Morgul Bismark” course, and I ride it often during off-peak traffic hours when canyon roads are littered with gravel, snow, or ice. For those who are unfamiliar, this 13.5 mile route (made famous during the Coors Classic) has a wonderful shoulder all the way around, except for a 1.8 mile, 600 ft descent down Colorado Highway 93, from the intersection with highway 128 to Marshall Drive. Depending on wind direction and speed, it takes about 2-3 minutes to descend this section.
I was descending Hwy 93 (my third lap), when an 18 wheeler with a trailer passed. No problem – I was doing about 40 mph, hugging the white line, and the 18 wheeler gave about 8+ feet clearance while passing at about 50 mph (speed limit is 55). After the 18 wheeler moved ahead about 1000 ft, a big black Ford diesel pickup crept up next to me, well inside the statutory 3 feet space, and obviously riding his brakes. There was no oncoming traffic and I was already on the white line, so my antenna was up as to why he was going so slow and riding so close. As his rear quarter panel passed me, the pickup got off his brakes and floored the throttle, engulfing me in a dense diesel smoke cloud at 40 mph with no shoulder. The pickup then raced ahead to the 18 wheeler, and slammed on his brakes again as he realized couldn’t get around the large truck.

From experience, I knew if a vehicle passes me on this section, there’s about an 80% chance I’ll catch them at the intersection traffic light at the bottom of the descent. Sure enough, the light turned red at the bottom of the hill and I caught Mr. Puffer at the light. When he saw me, the driver started screaming and gesturing at me, confirming my belief that his earlier smoke cloud was totally intentional. Have to admit, it’s very difficult to look at a person who is acting like a jerk after they willfully endanger your life and you’re full of adrenalin, but when they’re in a truck and you’re on a bike, there’s not much you can do. So I pulled out my smartphone and recorded his license plate and time of day, and when I got home I called the state patrol.

Since I haven’t posted much, here’s some info about me: I’m a 56 year old recovering ex-racer who enjoys training and riding distance events (last year: 7300 miles; 450,000 ft climbing). I mention this just to say that I spend a fair amount of time on the road, am very comfortable descending with traffic at speed, and routinely share the road with lots of vehicles. This incident was way out of the norm of what I usually see and I was glad the CSHP was willing to listen and (hopefully) follow-up. I hope the driver gets their message.

Thanks for listening.

ultraman6970
03-10-2013, 10:25 PM
I dont ride too much here in VA but at least in really narrow roads i remember even the trucks were waiting for me to pass me... the thing that surprise me the most is that the crap that happened to you is going on areas where cycling pretty much is the official sport.

Lucky for him he is not in south america and you were not riding in a group or the riders would have just destroyed all his taillights just to start.

I understand your frustration but those are the assholes that shouldnt be driving you know.

I would do #2, the trooper phone call will piss him just enough. Meanwhile avoid that road because he will be looking for you. No wonder russians are driving their cars with cameras but looks like even with a camara video there is nothing much to do now a days in the US.

slidey
03-10-2013, 10:51 PM
Glad you're alright, and that you didn't let the adrenaline overrule your better judgment.

kenw
03-10-2013, 11:21 PM
Diesel pickups, gotta luv ʻem, especially if theyʻre a four-door
dually.

Steve in SLO
03-11-2013, 12:02 AM
I agree that option number two might be a good one in this case, although from your story it sounds like it was a pretty mild, albeit irritating incident. It seems like he was being a jerk on purpose, but at least he wasn't throwing things at you or trying to run you off the road. You can thank your lucky stars for that.

mgm777
03-11-2013, 12:13 AM
CSTRider,

First, let me say that I'm glad you are safe.

I too live in the Boulder area and have only only ridden that stretch of 93 once. That was enough for me. There is far too much traffic and too little shoulder to ride those 1.8 miles safely, at any time of the day, IMHO. There are plenty of other roads to ride that are relatively safe, and 93 isn't one of them. Don't push your luck. Limit your exposure to sketchy roads and you'll ride a long, long time.

bshell
03-11-2013, 01:10 AM
or so it seems when you have a close call.

But when you compare the amount of considerate traffic that has passed you w/o incident you see it's a really small percentage of oblivious/jerky drivers that are leaving a bad impression.

Be thankful that you are okay. Be thankful that you were not hit with a pizza crust, bottled water, paint ball, ice, or a looch. Be thankful that you were not subject to battery. This one has not made my list (thankfully) but I know it can happen.

Keep doing your rides and be as careful as you can, but always remember that there is a certain amount of life beyond your control when you are riding.

I'm coming up on 25 years on the road (coastal CA). Whether it's a long Sat/Sun ride or a quick hour of training or a commute...I can't do it w/o one person at the very least doing something really sketchy. Being turned in front of is to be expected at all times around here. Everywhere, if you are a smart rider.

Tonight I had my closest call in 10-15 years. With 700 lumens blazing on my bars as I rode home from my parents house in my street clothes I had someone blast an intersection where they were supposed to yield to thru-traffic.

In an instant I had two thoughts. "Well, this is it", and "This is why my folks hate that I ride". They skidded to a stop just shy of my fork. I stopped, unable to speak. The driver yanked the wheel and took off around me while the passenger yelled "f***ing f****t".

Tonight I feel like people suck. Tomorrow should be better.

oldpotatoe
03-11-2013, 07:06 AM
Thought I’d share a sketchy high speed incident I experienced last week … I apologize about the length, but thought it might be worth sharing.

Bottom line up front: I’m fine, and the Colorado State Highway Patrol (CSHP) was very receptive to listening to my story and offered options. I am writing to encourage anyone who experiences something similar to do everything possible to stay cool, record as much information as possible, and then contact the appropriate authorities (city, county or state patrol, depending on road) as quickly as possible to report what happened.

In my situation (details below) I was offered three options:

Option #1: record the incident and place the license plate in an aggressive driver data base … in Colorado, three complaints can result in mandatory training/driver’s license retesting, etc;

Option #2: same as #1 but have the state trooper make a “personal phone call” to inform the driver he’s in their aggressive driver data base and on their radar screen; or

Option #3: same as #1, plus file a formal complaint; have a state trooper investigate and (if warranted) file charges and go to court as a witness.

The trooper I spoke with was willing to act on my choice, but said without additional witnesses it could be difficult to prove in court. So I chose door #2. I understand that others might have made a different choice, and I certainly would have if I had at least one additional witness.

For those who are interested, here are details about the actual incident: I live in south Boulder, about 3.5 miles from the “Morgul Bismark” course, and I ride it often during off-peak traffic hours when canyon roads are littered with gravel, snow, or ice. For those who are unfamiliar, this 13.5 mile route (made famous during the Coors Classic) has a wonderful shoulder all the way around, except for a 1.8 mile, 600 ft descent down Colorado Highway 93, from the intersection with highway 128 to Marshall Drive. Depending on wind direction and speed, it takes about 2-3 minutes to descend this section.
I was descending Hwy 93 (my third lap), when an 18 wheeler with a trailer passed. No problem – I was doing about 40 mph, hugging the white line, and the 18 wheeler gave about 8+ feet clearance while passing at about 50 mph (speed limit is 55). After the 18 wheeler moved ahead about 1000 ft, a big black Ford diesel pickup crept up next to me, well inside the statutory 3 feet space, and obviously riding his brakes. There was no oncoming traffic and I was already on the white line, so my antenna was up as to why he was going so slow and riding so close. As his rear quarter panel passed me, the pickup got off his brakes and floored the throttle, engulfing me in a dense diesel smoke cloud at 40 mph with no shoulder. The pickup then raced ahead to the 18 wheeler, and slammed on his brakes again as he realized couldn’t get around the large truck.

From experience, I knew if a vehicle passes me on this section, there’s about an 80% chance I’ll catch them at the intersection traffic light at the bottom of the descent. Sure enough, the light turned red at the bottom of the hill and I caught Mr. Puffer at the light. When he saw me, the driver started screaming and gesturing at me, confirming my belief that his earlier smoke cloud was totally intentional. Have to admit, it’s very difficult to look at a person who is acting like a jerk after they willfully endanger your life and you’re full of adrenalin, but when they’re in a truck and you’re on a bike, there’s not much you can do. So I pulled out my smartphone and recorded his license plate and time of day, and when I got home I called the state patrol.

Since I haven’t posted much, here’s some info about me: I’m a 56 year old recovering ex-racer who enjoys training and riding distance events (last year: 7300 miles; 450,000 ft climbing). I mention this just to say that I spend a fair amount of time on the road, am very comfortable descending with traffic at speed, and routinely share the road with lots of vehicles. This incident was way out of the norm of what I usually see and I was glad the CSHP was willing to listen and (hopefully) follow-up. I hope the driver gets their message.

Thanks for listening.

Do all 3. There are a lot of di_kheads around the republic.

BumbleBeeDave
03-11-2013, 07:21 AM
. . .though it also to some degree depends on whether this guy can demand to know who filed the complaint and get your personal info.

But as to whether having the trooper drop by to "discuss" it with him . . . sounds like he is pre-pissed. I would wager this tool doesn't know about the 3 complaint limit and having an authority figure remind/educate him of that fact might make the needed impression to modify behavior.

What others have said in this thread is correct--for every tool like this there are literally thousands of drivers who pass me every year who are courteous and understanding. But it only takes the one to get me killed. You need to get guys like this on the record every time thye pull something, and make sure as many other cyclists in the area as possible also report stuff like this.

BBD

Gummee
03-11-2013, 07:24 AM
I ride really tiny roads just outside the DC metro area. There's not a ride that goes by that at least one mouth-breathing moron doesn't do something stupid. Its not always immediately life threatening, but passing around corners, over crests of hills, etc WILL someday result in something bad happening. So I ride to minimize that as much as I can.

Had 2 of em yesterday in my 3hr ride. Went from nowhere to nowhere and back again and STILL had idiots on the road with me.

Having said that, there were MANY more polite drivers out there than jackholes.

To the OP: congrats for riding head's up. I've ridden that loop. LOTS of fun, but it can be a PITA too. Don't let one idiot make you leave.

M

BumbleBeeDave
03-11-2013, 07:37 AM
. . .about 6-7 years ag owhile visiting Smiley, but lots of the roads we went on had absolutelt NO shoulders--white line and immedate drop off to dirt. for those stretches it was not fun.

BBD

I ride really tiny roads just outside the DC metro area. There's not a ride that goes by that at least one mouth-breathing moron doesn't do something stupid. Its not always immediately life threatening, but passing around corners, over crests of hills, etc WILL someday result in something bad happening. So I ride to minimize that as much as I can.

Had 2 of em yesterday in my 3hr ride. Went from nowhere to nowhere and back again and STILL had idiots on the road with me.

To the OP: congrats for riding head's up. I've ridden that loop. LOTS of fun, but it can be a PITA too. Don't let one idiot make you leave.

M

FlashUNC
03-11-2013, 07:45 AM
FWIW, what the driver did is called coal rolling. Its a rather unique truck subculture involving large diesels, usually duallys. There's more than a few videos online of mouth breathers who think its funny to do that to cyclists.

Glad to hear you're safe.

BumbleBeeDave
03-11-2013, 08:13 AM
FWIW, what the driver did is called coal rolling. Its a rather unique truck subculture involving large diesels, usually duallys. There's more than a few videos online of mouth breathers who think its funny to do that to cyclists.

. . . about club rides over in Albany County getting treated to this same behavior.

BBD

rugbysecondrow
03-11-2013, 08:20 AM

M

In Maryland, I am fortunate to have great experiences and almost no problems. Come north, we are more civilized. :)

staggerwing
03-11-2013, 08:28 AM
Driver acted in an intentionally threatening manner, by crowding the OP and blowing a cloud of diesel particulates. Maybe he thought it was cute; bullies usually do.

What happens when he gets a little too close to a more easily spooked victim? Simply no need for this kind of stupidity from the pilot of a 2 ton weapon.

On a positive local note. Noticed a couple of uniformed bicycle police out doing residential patrol in the warmer weekend weather. A bit unusual to see them outside of the downtown core.

Riding back from a Saturday Findlay Market run, an officer pedals up next to me at a red, and we exchange pleasantries. I pull away a bit on the green, as she is doing the patrol thing. About a third of a mile down the road, a good sized SUV gooses it a bit, with its right signal blinking, brakes hard, and cuts across my bow, into their driveway. Had to hit the brakes, and swerve into the traffic lane. Would have been a simple matter to brake a little earlier, and duck in after I passed. It was more irritating than close, but not atypical. Shaking my head, and checking my mirror, I notice the officer behind wave and peal into the bozos driveway. I'm guessing it was for a chat, but didn't hang around to confirm. It was a good day.

pbarry
03-11-2013, 08:49 AM
Law enforcement takes these complaints seriously, and they do follow up with calls or home visits, at least in this area. I've had to make a few calls to Boulder Police while I was driving and encountered extremely aggressive or erratic driving. Presenting an accurate account of the circumstances and remaining calm are key. Number 2 sounds right in your situation. By following up, you may prevent the joker escalating his behavior in the future.

tiretrax
03-11-2013, 09:06 AM
Option 4 - mount two GoPro cameras on your bike - one forward facing and one rear. That way, you won't have to worry about a "swearing match" when you are in court testifying.

tiretrax
03-11-2013, 09:08 AM
Option 4 - mount two GoPro cameras on your bike - one forward facing and one rear. That way, you won't have to worry about a "swearing match" when you are in court testifying.

I live in Dallas, which is consistently ranked among the worst cities for cyclists. As much as I am tired of the route I normally use, which includes a lot of multi use trail, it keeps me out of bad traffic areas and away from crazy drivers.

gdw
03-11-2013, 09:23 AM
I'm glad you're ok but agree with mgm777. That section of road is one of the most dangerous spots you can ride in the county.

Tony T
03-11-2013, 09:30 AM

....and 2 extended battery packs if you ride more than 3 hours :)

dustyrider
03-11-2013, 09:49 AM
On this side of the rockies I'd be calling the police everyday for an intentional diesel plume, and escalated vocalizing of emotions is just par for the course.

The amount of twin stack, lifted, American flag waving pickups here is amazing.

Most folks that ride the roads here have way scarier stories, but here's just a few.
The most disconserting one I know of was a guy who got knocked off his bike becuase someone threw a melon at him, yes it was a pickup and I believe it was a cantalope if memory serves.
I've been pushed over several times by laughing motorisits with large mirrors.
School bus was the latest...old man didn't even stop when I beat his mirror sideways.

I've been spit on a couple times, mainly though I just get the horn coupled with a middle finger.

I know a guy that was knocked into a ditch because someone clipped his left arm with their mirror at 50mph plus, to this day he won't ride on that specific road. And truth be told he's pretty gun shy riding the roads period now.
Of course there's the College cycling kid that ended up in the passenger seat of a texting driver's car.

So yeah we got to look out, and it's good to know there's a registry...glad you're ok. Stay safe and avoid the issues if you can.

Gummee
03-11-2013, 10:16 AM
. . .about 6-7 years ag owhile visiting Smiley, but lots of the roads we went on had absolutelt NO shoulders--white line and immedate drop off to dirt. for those stretches it was not fun.

BBD
You were riding on roads with white lines?! Man you were on the wide ones! Where I am, there's typically no lines at all. IOW road's too narrow for lines.

edited to add: there's a lot of angry drivers in/near Boulder. Lots of 'get off my road ya spandex clad f----t!' types. Its amazing that so many pros and wannabes actually live and ride there.

M

goonster
03-11-2013, 11:01 AM
This is really the only case where I now (reluctantly, inadvertently) stereotype drivers of a particular kind of vehicle.

When I hear, and then see, (in that order!) a lifted, marine injector-ed, cat-gutted, straight-piped, 4" exhaust, knobby-tired truck approach while I'm riding, I prepare for trouble. Even more so if it is an isolated road, with no one around to see their BS.

Scuzzer
03-11-2013, 11:03 AM
FWIW, what the driver did is called coal rolling.

On a sorta related note, is there a name for a Harley rider slowing down next to you then cracking the throttle wide open to blow out your eardrums? That's happened twice to me in the Boulder/Niwot area in the last year and it's more than annoying.

Gummee
03-11-2013, 11:11 AM
This is really the only case where I now (reluctantly, inadvertently) stereotype drivers of a particular kind of vehicle.

When I hear, and then see, (in that order!) a lifted, marine injector-ed, cat-gutted, straight-piped, 4" exhaust, knobby-tired truck approach while I'm riding, I prepare for trouble. Even more so if it is an isolated road, with no one around to see their BS.Me too. Rarely is it the dually guys.

I can't wait for this current fad to move on to something else. At least the mini-trucks couldn't smoke at you as they drove past.

M

tuxbailey
03-11-2013, 02:22 PM
In Maryland, I am fortunate to have great experiences and almost no problems. Come north, we are more civilized. :)

Come'on, we have it good where we live in MD since people there are used to a lot of cyclists there.

Try Mont. Co some time and you might get a different picture of MD riding :(

gdw
03-11-2013, 03:06 PM
"is there a name for a Harley rider slowing down next to you then cracking the throttle wide open to blow out your eardrums? That's happened twice to me in the Boulder/Niwot area in the last year and it's more than annoying."

Yeah but I can't put it on the internet. It sounds like the douchbag who was the president of the company that created *CSP for the State Patrol. The guy absolutely despises cyclists. Kind of ironic.....

charlie68
03-12-2013, 06:50 AM
I live in Montgomery County Maryland and have had generally good experiences riding. I usually ride in the Poolesville area and it seems most people are tolerant of cyclists. I also ride on the Eastern Shore of Maryland and have had similar good experiences. There are portions of Montgomery County that I wouldn't consider riding in and although it would be possible for me to ride to work, I cannot figure out a route that wouldn't risk my life riding.

shovelhd
03-12-2013, 06:58 AM
Harley riders. Buncha deviants I tell ya.

christian
03-12-2013, 08:10 AM
Hey Shovel - two things -

1) Post a pic of your shovel.
2) Keep an eye on Western Mass craigslist and let me know if you see any nice Evo FXRs, preferably an FXRT, FXRP, FXRS-SP, or FXRS-Conv (I want dual front disks).

shovelhd
03-12-2013, 09:34 AM
Hey Shovel - two things -

1) Post a pic of your shovel.
2) Keep an eye on Western Mass craigslist and let me know if you see any nice Evo FXRs, preferably an FXRT, FXRP, FXRS-SP, or FXRS-Conv (I want dual front disks).

I sold my motorcycles to fund my bike racing habit. Here it is in show trim with the drag pipes. In road trim I used a Supertrapp. 1979 FXE 98ci stroker.

http://i331.photobucket.com/albums/l453/shovelfl/bikeforums/harley.jpg

I'll keep en eye out for an Evo FXR for you. They are very popular. One of the best all around bikes HD ever made.

christian
03-12-2013, 09:45 AM
Nice - that's a beauty. With the exception of a Supertrapp 2:1, mids and a tuck-and-roll low profile seat, that's pretty much exactly the look I'll be going for on my FXR-to-be. Great looking bike!

bigreen505
03-12-2013, 10:01 AM
big black Ford diesel pickup crept up next to me, well inside the statutory 3 feet space, and obviously riding his brakes. There was no oncoming traffic and I was already on the white line, so my antenna was up as to why he was going so slow and riding so close. As his rear quarter panel passed me, the pickup got off his brakes and floored the throttle, engulfing me in a dense diesel smoke cloud at 40 mph with no shoulder. The pickup then raced ahead to the 18 wheeler, and slammed on his brakes again as he realized couldn’t get around the large truck.

Was there a fair amount of chrome on that truck? I think I've had a couple run-ins with him too. Did the same thing to me going up Trail Ridge Road.

CSTRider
03-12-2013, 11:24 AM
Was there a fair amount of chrome on that truck? I think I've had a couple run-ins with him too. Did the same thing to me going up Trail Ridge Road.

It did have some chrome - did you get a license plate? I know it's really hard when you're engulfed in smoke, but that's what really matters if you want to report it.

The reason i was able to get his plate is because the dude was stopped at the light at the bottom of the hill, hiding on the left side of the 18 wheeler. He was probably hoping i wouldn't see him there, and he floored it (creating another dense cloud) when the light turned green.

BumbleBeeDave
03-12-2013, 11:32 AM
I've been riding for almost 30 years now (yeeow, THAT's a scary thought!) and I've never, ever had a problem I can remember with a Harley rider.

Almost always they are the ones who will wave back if you wave to them and give you plenty of room. I've always thought it's because they generally understand we're both out there for the same reasons.

BBD

Scuzzer
03-12-2013, 11:38 AM
I've been riding for almost 30 years now (yeeow, THAT's a scary thought!) and I've never, ever had a problem I can remember with a Harley rider.

Me neither until last year and I've been riding since the late 70s. The first time it happened I was wondering what he was up to and was totally unprepared for the ridiculous engine noise I was about to encounter.

bironi
03-12-2013, 11:50 AM

Yes, we have experienced the same intelligent behavior here on multiple occasions. Such Neanderthals.

bigreen505
03-13-2013, 12:26 PM
It did have some chrome - did you get a license plate? I know it's really hard when you're engulfed in smoke, but that's what really matters if you want to report it.

The reason i was able to get his plate is because the dude was stopped at the light at the bottom of the hill, hiding on the left side of the 18 wheeler. He was probably hoping i wouldn't see him there, and he floored it (creating another dense cloud) when the light turned green.

No, it took me totally by surprise. I wasn't expecting hostile drivers. I thought he was just looking at the sights until he fogged me.